Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not even the finer of the fine sands, its in between! but i just turned off the mp10, thats what was pushing it upwards out of the corner... shut it off and it stopped moving... I need to adjust the return hose, and move the mp10 a bit...

The return is actually quite strong, the mp10 basically pushes the same amount in the same location, my difficulty is finding a sweet spot where it won't double the flow, yet will hit other spots on the other end of the tank...

The size of the acro on the opposite end won't allow me to mount the mp10 on the glass.

This is one of the reasons I went to the Tunze, I can direct the flow where there are no corals, not an easy task in my tank ATM. I have 4 power heads in my tank and I still have some lower flow areas but basically things are much better now.

It's certainly not too much flow if your corals aren't closing or being blown apart :lol:

I have a difficult time finding that darn 'sweet spot' in my tank, where there is as much flow as possible to the corals and around/under rocks to prevent detritus settling, but also not too much flow for the fleshier LPS (like frogspawn, duncan, and hammer) that don't appreciate both MP40 running at once :lol:

Agreed Ben, I know LPS can limit flow intensity in mixed tanks, and I am trading in my Aussie Welso for this reason.

Arkayology

Good choice on the Tunze. I think they are really great pumps. I plan on getting some for a future tank.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Maybe I can just get one of the weaker, less expensive Tunze's... just to add a direct-able flow on the other end of the tank...

Arkayology

Maybe I can just get one of the weaker, less expensive Tunze's... just to add a direct-able flow on the other end of the tank...

Have you checked out Jebao pumps yet?

Good choice on the Tunze. I think they are really great pumps. I plan on getting some for a future tank.

Thanks Indy, I have been using them for years just not the controllable ones till now, pretty happy with what I can do with it via the Apex.

Yes, the 6015 is like ~$40 and it pushes 425 GPH.

I have heard there are some issues with them, not sure if it's true though. They are an option but I prefer "Der deutsche Maschinenbau". :)

Arkayology

I have heard there are some issues with them, not sure if it's true though. They are an option but I prefer "Der deutsche Maschinenbau". :)

Some have had issues, but the vast majority have not. I really like my wp25. I thought I had good flow with my mp40 and mp10, but the wave action I am getting with the wp25 blows the vortechs out of the water IMO.

jedimasterben

See thats part of the reason I have both sources of water movement coming from above the frogspawn, so its at least a little diminished by the time it circles back to the lps...all of the flow is directly pushed towards sps... perfect :)

Kinda difficult when your pumps' output paths are about 36"x18" and your tank is only 24x16 :)

This is one of the reasons I went to the Tunze, I can direct the flow where there are no corals, not an easy task in my tank ATM. I have 4 power heads in my tank and I still have some lower flow areas but basically things are much better now.

Agreed Ben, I know LPS can limit flow intensity in mixed tanks, and I am trading in my Aussie Welso for this reason.

I didn't have a problem with it when I had three MP10 on the tank, but when I eventually made it to two MP40 and one MP10 (the MP10 has since been removed from the back of the tank) and it's been troublesome since.

Some have had issues, but the vast majority have not. I really like my wp25. I thought I had good flow with my mp40 and mp10, but the wave action I am getting with the wp25 blows the vortechs out of the water IMO.

Comparing a (somewhat poor) Tunze clone to a Vortech pump is apples and oranges. Even versus Tunze, the quality is just not there. I can purchase a Tunze pump and expect it to outlast the tank setup. The Jebao clones... I'm not sure that they would. The Jebao DC series pumps are the same as Reef Octopus and a few others, so I would imagine that they should at least last several years or more.

Ugh, Christine you're making me want Tunze again, if only I could figure out something to do with the darn cords that wouldn't interfere with my mesh top, and that the controllers weren't terrible.

Arkayology

Comparing a (somewhat poor) Tunze clone to a Vortech pump is apples and oranges. Even versus Tunze, the quality is just not there. I can purchase a Tunze pump and expect it to outlast the tank setup. The Jebao clones... I'm not sure that they would. The Jebao DC series pumps are the same as Reef Octopus and a few others, so I would imagine that they should at least last several years or more.

I'm know one is a cheap knock off, but I don't know if just because it is "apples and oranges" we cannot compare the results of the two pumps. The pumps deliver different kinds of flow, but a cost to results comparison IMO shows that the jebao pumps are good for the price. The longevity has yet to be tested, but I really like the results I am getting with the jebao. That's all I was saying.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Would be nice to see some analytical data from the Jebao, and see how they hold up over time.

My momma once said, "We can't afford to buy cheap shoes". ;)

Arkayology

Would be nice to see some analytical data from the Jebao, and see how they hold up over time.

My momma once said, "We can't afford to buy cheap shoes". ;)

That's a good way of putting it. I have seen posts from people who bought wp25s a year ago saying that their pumps are still going strong, while others say they stopped working after 3 months. I would be interested in seeing some analytical data showing the performance over time. Someone must be working on it... (but not me!!!! :D)

Well, after a year on two of mine I know they require more maintenance or flow drops dramatically. Other than a plastic part breaking I'm not sure what can go wrong.

But when comparing $75 to $597 there is not much in the way of comparison. I have 3 WP25's and 1 WP10 and have not spent $597 on pumps, much less a single pump. I guess I'm missing out on the titanium shafts. :)

That's a good way of putting it. I have seen posts from people who bought wp25s a year ago saying that their pumps are still going strong, while others say they stopped working after 3 months. I would be interested in seeing some analytical data showing the performance over time. Someone must be working on it... (but not me!!!! :D)

Advanced Aquarist should be on it sooner or later :)

Well, after a year on two of mine I know they require more maintenance or flow drops dramatically. Other than a plastic part breaking I'm not sure what can go wrong.

But when comparing $75 to $597 there is not much in the way of comparison. I have 3 WP25's and 1 WP10 and have not spent $597 on pumps, much less a single pump. I guess I'm missing out on the titanium shafts. :)

Check for stray current in your tank ;)

Just kidding, I think what burns me the most about the Jebao is their blatant knock-off design of the Tunze and the similarity in name of the Vortech pumps. I think that's cheap. Good on them though for making a pump based on Tunze R&D and popularity at a quarter the price or less, reminds me of those Ferrari kit cars in the 80's made from Pontiac Fiero chassis :lol:

post-72999-0-29207400-1400009409_thumb.jpg

Don't hate the company, hate the capitalist system. :D

I have been to China 3 times, it's really hard to find anything original there, everything is a knock-off, people even making knock-offs of knock-offs. People buy it up like crazy, you can buy original knock-off Nike sneakers for $10, people think they are real, everyone wins :)

i want to up the flow in my tank, but the LPS hate when i turn the vortechs up past 50%

Guess all you can do is find a happy medium.

Time for a photo update.

My Red Planet is getting huge and taking up a good portion of the tank, yes I know, big problem LOL. The rock it is attached to also has my Cali Tort growing on it so that takes up even more space. Here's a few pics from different angles.

Awkward picture but it shows the whole colony.

14000654519_31a4cddca9_c.jpg

Another angle.

14000698017_a62c4725dd_c.jpg

Two new growth spurts, close up of one of them.

14184736112_55b34776d7_c.jpg

This, what I think to be A.gomezi, has been fragged a few times, I have another mini colony of it at the opposite end of the tank sitting in a frag rack along with a frag of it. Slow grower but the picture doesn't do it justice, the colours is much nicer in person.

14000705507_030e983c79_c.jpg[/url]

Three large frags of my Cali Tort, one on hold for Aj (Hopefully a frag swap ?), and the other two will go to LFS eventually. Picture doesn't quite show all of them.

14187314755_ee135734c7_c.jpg

One of the things I like about SPS is there ability to change colour, this overgrown stag is likely photo bleached because it sits at the surface mainly and get s blasted by light however, it has turned from brown (true colour) to pale brown with blue corallites. At some point it is going to be removed from the tank, I just hate to have to rip it out :(

14000703287_9382c98fe1_c.jpg

Finally, just a fun top down shot of the millepora.

14000646419_bd58c67304_c.jpg

And I found one more, frags :)

14207905413_27839dc398_c.jpg

mannnnnn i would kill for color like that...

or sps survival in general.

Z.E.O.V.I.T and no killing required :)

Amazing! I see no problem with the red planet! :)

Thanks Indy, the RP seems to be taking off now, I better not change anything :)

Archived