Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

I am experimenting with my spectrum a bit, removing some cool white and adding more BL/RB. The A.gomezi is getting it's green body back again, but my yellow stag is loosing it's bright yellow, always a trade off in the reef. Pricing out some ATI T5 dimming fixtures 6x24 now. Had some good success with LED but time for a lighting change.

Thanks all for your encouragement, means a lot to me. Reef is coasting through the summer, one more mont and the reef will be 2 years old, hard to believe.

Can't wait!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nano sapiens

Lighting in the reef tank is such a fascinating topic, but not an easy one to get 'just right'. With larger Nanos the T5 fixture/bulb choices are quite good (as opposed to what's available for the small ones), so I think the T5s will get you closer to what you are looking for.

Polarcollision

Thanks Deb, I was thinking the Hybrid ATO power module T5/LED, just can't justify the price for mostly LED emitters I don't want. I think I will just do a ATI dimming T5 fixture, I have LED strips so if I want I can add them, but I think 100% T5 for a while and see how it goes.

Whaaat? What ended the custom Razor build?

Edit: I was just at a local pet store that sells one 24" T5 bulb for $29. Ouch. It does make a nice glow through the water though

Can't wait!

I am looking forward to it, likely wont be for another month or so :)http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/ATI-Dimmable-Sunpower-T5-6x24W-w-controller-24.html

Lighting in the reef tank is such a fascinating topic, but not an easy one to get 'just right'. With larger Nanos the T5 fixture/bulb choices are quite good (as opposed to what's available for the small ones), so I think the T5s will get you closer to what you are looking for.

Yes, I think so. I still like LED but not 100% happy with all aspects of them.

Whaaat? What ended the custom Razor build?

Edit: I was just at a local pet store that sells one 24" T5 bulb for $29. Ouch. It does make a nice glow through the water though

Haha, Still happening but that's for my ADA 7 gallon build, it has been shipped so expecting it in a week or two. T5 are expensive, they do vary in price though, ATI is a bit cheaper than KZ and others like Coralife are cheaper yet. I think I may end up with mainly ATI bulbs, and one or two KZ ones.

There's way too much nerdy talk in here that goes over my head...........more pics please.

Haha, this is where all the nerds hang out, the cool people are in lounge :lol:

I'm kinda pic'd out right now with this tank. I'm not planning to add any live stock for a while (unless I see something that blows my mind). The pictures are getting redundant IMO, my camera is always close to the tank by however.

Hey Nanotopia :) Just got my newsletter from PremiumAquatics and thought of you. That ATI fixture is listed at only $410 & has a $60off code when purchasing bulbs with it. Not sure if they ship to CAN but figured I would let you know if it could save you some dough. Ad link here.

Hey Nanotopia :) Just got my newsletter from PremiumAquatics and thought of you. That ATI fixture is listed at only $410 & has a $60off code when purchasing bulbs with it. Not sure if they ship to CAN but figured I would let you know if it could save you some dough. Ad link here.

Hey thanks, I saw that as well :)

I am looking for dimming model, I don't see that on for sale, always my luck :)

Wow, so tempting.

Very nice view of your tank. It keeps looking wonderful. Ever have a bad tank day Christine? Every single picture looks superb.

Ya I have, but not lately...Knock on wood, tank will be 2 next month :P

Thanks Kat :)

I've used my Hanna hi713 for nearly 2yrs without a problem until early this year when I purchased a pack of reagents from Amazon. The first 2 tests I ran gave me a high reading .08ppm+, which was odd because I replaced the GFO just a week before the test. Well, I replaced the GFO and 2days later, I'm seeing "STN". :huh: I have experienced this before with overuse of GFO. Ran 2 more tests with the Hanna and got some very high reading again. Tested some distilled water, my ro/di, and still high readings. After doing some close examination, I find there are particles in the reagents that does not dissolve. So, I contacted Hanna and exchanged a few emails with an agent, they shipped me a new reagent pack that was even worst. Then, they shipped me some phosphate free Hanna water and some new reagents. Hanna water is not po4 free or their reagents just suck! Now they tell me I need a new checker, because 2yrs is old. :P

Hmmm, yesterday I opened a new box of reagents for the Hanna HI736, made a test and got 14ppb phosphorus, pervious test (minutes before) with the old reagents that came with the checker I got 2ppb. Something strange for sure so I tested again and got 14ppb again. I suspect this box of reagents is not right. I sent an email off to Hanna today explaining my concern, interested to know what they say. After adding the reagent and mixing, the sample looked slightly cloudy, don't recall seeing that previously.

So it seems Hanna may have a problem with their reagents after all, if this is the case I will loose all faith in Hanna for good!

SouthFlorida_Tron

For the record the alkalinity is still trustworthy as I live by it weekly and don't have salifert as backup anymore, only for ca...

For the record the alkalinity is still trustworthy as I live by it weekly and don't have salifert as backup anymore, only for ca...

I am not suggesting all their reagents are are faulty, but maybe a quality control issue with the consistency of some of their reagents?

The only issues I had heard about previously was the Hanna Ca checker, and then Asureef's phosphate checker reagent. If there were major issues with the phosphorus reagents I likely would have heard about it. I haven't heard anything, maybe I will do a google search on it, see if anything pops up.

My Hanna phosphate checker always reads 0.00 no matter what I test...not happy I spent the money on it

Yes, unfortunately the HI713 phosphate checker is not "Low Range" enough for monitoring a reef tank. I think it is best suited for a fish only tank personally.

I heard back from Hanna USA and they say they have not heard about any issues with phosphorus reagent Lot# H025 to date. They were kind enough to send me a new box of reagents free (IF I LIVED IN THE USA), I don't, so the best they could do was give me the number for the Canada office so I could purchase another box, LOL.

Could it be that the reagent is fine and my PO4 is 0.043ppm (14 ppb) ?

Just incase others are using the HI736 phosphorus Hanna Checker , I would be interested to know which Lot# of reagents you are using and if the powder reagent is disolving fully when you mix it with the sample. Mine doesn't seem to be, which is likely the reason for the high reading. Just curious.

Could it be that the reagent is fine and my PO4 is 0.043ppm (14 ppb) ?

Could be. Remember that there is a 5%+/- error range.

Could be. Remember that there is a 5%+/- error range.

Hanna HI713 reads 0.00ppm

Corals look good

Almost no algae on glass or rock

Growth is okay

First 6 reagent packets (that came with the HI736) read 1-2 ppb.

Doesn't add up for me, even with +/- 5% error range.

Hanna HI713 reads 0.00ppm

Corals look good

Almost no algae on glass or rock

Growth is okay

First 6 reagent packets (that came with the HI736) read 1-2 ppb.

Doesn't add up for me, even with +/- 5% error range.

It is a bit odd I'll admit. Is there anything else around that has one that you can test against yours? Otherwise, I would try and get a new lot. Maybe if you talk to the hannah Canadian office they will offer to replace your packets?

It is a bit odd I'll admit. Is there anything else around that has one that you can test against yours? Otherwise, I would try and get a new lot. Maybe if you talk to the hannah Canadian office they will offer to replace your packets?

No, not close by, I will try to get a new lot, maybe. I asked Hanna for some details on their Lot#'s, like which ones might be available in Canada that have not expired, no reply.

Seriously, I just decided I don't care anymore. Back to relying on my EYES for PO4. It's just not worth the hassle chasing this down. Tank is happy, corals are happy, good colours, good growth, etc. If I ran my tank off what a Hanna checker told me I'm sure it would be a disaster, LOL.

BTW hows your tank doing?

BTW hows your tank doing?

Thanks for asking. It's been doing very well lately. STN has stopped and encrusting is returning. I think lowering the amount of zoestart and generally stability that came about with reduced reactor flow has done the tank some good so I am very pleased with how things are going now. I have figured out what the tank looks like in order to have some nutrients but not completely stripped. I have some algae, but not a ton, so all is well.

Nano sapiens

Seriously, I just decided I don't care anymore. Back to relying on my EYES for PO4. It's just not worth the hassle chasing this down. Tank is happy, corals are happy, good colours, good growth, etc. If I ran my tank off what a Hanna checker told me I'm sure it would be a disaster, LOL.

I was going to suggest this when I read of your Hanna testing results :)

I was going to suggest this when I read of your Hanna testing results :)

I just wanted to try it out and see how accurate and reliable it was compared to the phosphate checker, not very unfortunately. I have used lab grade colorimeters in University and they are pretty accurate, to be expected since they are worth thousands of dollars and not $50. You get what you pay for, so I got my monies worth :)

Thanks for asking. It's been doing very well lately. STN has stopped and encrusting is returning. I think lowering the amount of zoestart and generally stability that came about with reduced reactor flow has done the tank some good so I am very pleased with how things are going now. I have figured out what the tank looks like in order to have some nutrients but not completely stripped. I have some algae, but not a ton, so all is well.

It is good to hear, finding the balance with Zeovit takes some time, months in fact. Being able to use your eyes to determine the state of your tank is a skill all reefers should focus on developing, it's an invaluable tool that comes with experience and many failures.

My tank's real estate is maxed out ATM, I have stuff on hold for my ADA build and frags on the sand bed that need to go ASAP. I need a bigger tank but with this ADA build money is tight right now. I am however thinking I will change out the Vertex LED's for T5's in September, going with an over-rated ATI fixture so I can use it on a future upgrade, always thinking ahead :)

Archived