Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

Have you tried testing different water sources?

I don't own the HI736, but have the 713 and stopped using it a while back. I believe Hanna have some quality issues with their reagents.

The quality issues I have heard about were with the Ca Checker, I think Hanna lost face with a lot of reef enthusiasts with that fiasco. Like any test, it has to be performed with precision by the user. The Hanna Checkers are no different, every user performs the test slightly different, there are lost of variables. I think when we get to a serious level in reefing, and keeping SPS, we look for more and more accurate test kits, the fact may be that they don't/can't exist at a low price point. You need to go to a desk top photometer $2-5K if you want accurate low value results.

I think the reagents are the least of their problem, if they are one at all. The problem is more likely a substandard quality photo diode that reads the solution in the vial. If that wasn't the case, explain why the reagents are likely the same price for reef hobbyists and scientific labs, only the equipment is 100X more expensive.

It's supposed to be accurate, but someone would need to test it against calibrated, laboratory grade equipment to really find out.

I remember on another large, popular reef site the insinuations that 'you aren't a serious reefer' if you don't own a high-res Hanna phosphate checker. Many folks don't realize that it only tests for inorganic phosphate or even know that there are many other species of phosphate that this product, or any other hobbyist grade kit, doesn't detect.

If you decide to part with, I'm sure there are dozens of folks who'll buy it :)

I agree, my analysis is anecdotal, I think Dana Riddle did an article1 article2 on some of the Hanna checkers when they first came out. The ULR Phosphorus was not out yet so it wasn't tested. Others were, I'll have to look for that again.

I laugh at that because I can guess what forum that was LOL. I say rubbish, your not a serious reefer until you have lost a couple of thousand dollars in coral to some bug or worm you could not see, and are still reefing today.

I'm not completely done with the HI736, I am looking for a phosphorus standard to test it against, not sure if one exists. I do have a Phosphate HI713 for sale in Hardware classifieds if anyone is interested.

Hi Christine,

If I wanted to perhaps touch the world of zeo, would I be able to do one of the many products I see or is it the combination only that will work... (to try one and improve coral coloration)

Hopefully not with the alk one though right? Lol I live by that thing...

Most KZ products can be used in non-Zeo tanks, only with lesser effect in some cases. Many people use one or more Zeovit products, some of the popular ones are Pohl's Xtra, Sponge Power, Coral Vitalizer.

As far as I know the ALK Hanna Checker is fine, but I prefer Elos at the moment, easy and accurate to use. But Elos is no longer doing business in North America, may be difficult to get Elos test kits soon, hope not.

The more we learn about how bacteria are so critical to health and wellbeing the more fascinating they become. That's a fantastic article. Thatnks for sharing!

Care to make a guide for calibrating newb EYES? I know the browning coral and algae growth bits, but is there anything else that tips you off?

To me the article only made complete sense, it all adds up for me, in fact I think is has been known for a long time, maybe just never scientifically studied.

I will be offering a workshop on "Eye Calibration for the Reef Aquarist" soon, tour starts in September 2013, ya kidding. On a more serious note though, what we see happening in our reef can tell us much about what's going on... if you understand how the marine ecosystem works at every level. I don't, but it is possible to look at your reef and tell nutrients are starting to rise because the algae on the glass needs to be cleaned daily now instead of twice a week. This is much like medicine, look at all the symptoms and signs, perform some tests, then make the most logical diagnosis. When I don't see a lot of pods in my tank I know it's time to start feeding more phytoplankton. When I see my yellow acro start to turn green I know I have to ease off on my trace elements, no need for iodine and iron tests. When I see my blues and purples start to fade and my Montipora go greyish I know I need to increase potassium. We just have to be more in tune with our reef, and I think most of us are, the test kits are for when we doubt ourselves or we cannot understand what's happening. I like my test kits, but I only test Ca, ALK, S.G., and once and a while Mg and Potassium. I have other kits but they all sit on the shelf collecting dust and expiring.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is ur digi that purple in person? They have some of the coolest grow pattern, and so fast too!

I would say it's more orange in person. Lighting is a little blue, makes it look darker than it is.

I think the reagents are the least of their problem, if they are one at all. The problem is more likely a substandard quality photo diode that reads the solution in the vial. If that wasn't the case, explain why the reagents are likely the same price for reef hobbyists and scientific labs, only the equipment is 100X more expensive.

I've used my Hanna hi713 for nearly 2yrs without a problem until early this year when I purchased a pack of reagents from Amazon. The first 2 tests I ran gave me a high reading .08ppm+, which was odd because I replaced the GFO just a week before the test. Well, I replaced the GFO and 2days later, I'm seeing "STN". :huh: I have experienced this before with overuse of GFO. Ran 2 more tests with the Hanna and got some very high reading again. Tested some distilled water, my ro/di, and still high readings. After doing some close examination, I find there are particles in the reagents that does not dissolve. So, I contacted Hanna and exchanged a few emails with an agent, they shipped me a new reagent pack that was even worst. Then, they shipped me some phosphate free Hanna water and some new reagents. Hanna water is not po4 free or their reagents just suck! Now they tell me I need a new checker, because 2yrs is old. :P

39f7.jpg

ihc7.jpg

I've used my Hanna hi713 for nearly 2yrs without a problem until early this year when I purchased a pack of reagents from Amazon. The first 2 tests I ran gave me a high reading .08ppm+, which was odd because I replaced the GFO just a week before the test. Well, I replaced the GFO and 2days later, I'm seeing "STN". :huh: I have experienced this before with overuse of GFO. Ran 2 more tests with the Hanna and got some very high reading again. Tested some distilled water, my ro/di, and still high readings. After doing some close examination, I find there are particles in the reagents that does not dissolve. So, I contacted Hanna and exchanged a few emails with an agent, they shipped me a new reagent pack that was even worst. Then, they shipped me some phosphate free Hanna water and some new reagents. Hanna water is not po4 free or their reagents just suck! Now they tell me I need a new checker, because 2yrs is old. :P

39f7.jpg

ihc7.jpg

Interesting, this is the first time I hear of this with Hanna, other than the Ca checker fiasco, I guess there are some bad reagent packs out there then. Never had any issues with my Hi713 but then I have only ran about 40 tests through it. Strange they would tell you it had to be replaced after two years use, must have something to do with the light diode, I would suspect they are cheap to begin with. I would never rely solely on any PO4 test kit, Hanna included, I am not impressed with the Hi736 either. I was suspect when Hanna announced accurate colorimeters for $50, LOL. A good desk top Lab grade one costs thousands, makes no sense you could buy anything even remotely accurate for $50.

Still, at a hobbyist level what are we to do? We are left with titration kits with colour wheels to match our samples to, not any more accurate IMO. It's all hit and miss when it comes to testing low range nutrients at a hobbyist level. I still say my eyes are my best test kit :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Hi713.

Have you ever posted a pic of a side view of the tank?

YES

And that's why I haven't tested anything on my tank in a while, especially phosphate. :P

You have to test once and a while Ca and Alk at very least.

Liked your comment on Advanced Aquarist BTW :lol:

Still, at a hobbyist level what are we to do? We are left with titration kits with colour wheels to match our samples to, not any more accurate IMO. It's all hit and miss when it comes to testing low range nutrients at a hobbyist level. I still say my eyes are my best test kit :)

I would have to disagree. For someone with any kind of real basic chemistry exposure, a titration is easy and probably more accurate. The problem comes from people not knowing what to look for or hearing people explain hot to titrate incorrectly.

I would have to disagree. For someone with any kind of real basic chemistry exposure, a titration is easy and probably more accurate. The problem comes from people not knowing what to look for or hearing people explain hot to titrate incorrectly.

Which low range PO4 test kit do you find accurate?

Which low range PO4 test kit do you find accurate?

My comment was really just to point out that titration is more accurate than colorimetry at this price range and probably a bit higher as well if technique is correct.

Honestly, I prefer the ease of hanna 736, but use regular old red sea coral pro titration every once in a while to confirm. Any of the titrations are pretty much the same aside from the worst brands. I do use better glassware and stuff to do the tests though haha. I don't know if that makes a real change, but I had it on hand. The red sea tests have worked for me for a while now. I don't really test much these days though. I've had good results with these two though so I don't really try new things anymore.

The hanna reagents have been accurate for me. Perhaps I have been lucky with the batches?

I tend to follow the idea that anything in that tiny phosphate range is okay as long as it stays consistent. I only check if something looks wrong. I never check like one would for alk on a somewhat regular basis.

jedimasterben

Oh, those of course, I just meant nitrate and phosphate. I have four or five stony corals that have shown no growth in months, and just now the tank is to the point where it can support future growth, so my cal and alk levels have stayed the same for months now. Even the massive amount of cactus caulerpa I have hasn't made the slightest dent!

Liked your comment on Advanced Aquarist BTW :lol:

:)

There are minimums you need to test for sure. I haven't found a phosphate checker that I trust though. Same with some of the "trace elements". I just haven't found any that I believe.

I am experimenting with my spectrum a bit, removing some cool white and adding more BL/RB. The A.gomezi is getting it's green body back again, but my yellow stag is loosing it's bright yellow, always a trade off in the reef. Pricing out some ATI T5 dimming fixtures 6x24 now. Had some good success with LED but time for a lighting change.

Thanks all for your encouragement, means a lot to me. Reef is coasting through the summer, one more mont and the reef will be 2 years old, hard to believe.

Polarcollision

I am experimenting with my spectrum a bit, removing some cool white and adding more BL/RB. The A.gomezi is getting it's green body back again, but my yellow stag is loosing it's bright yellow, always a trade off in the reef. Pricing out some ATI T5 dimming fixtures 6x24 now. Had some good success with LED but time for a lighting change.

Thanks all for your encouragement, means a lot to me. Reef is coasting through the summer, one more mont and the reef will be 2 years old, hard to believe.

Are you combining LED and T5?

The side tank shot is just :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Are you combining LED and T5?

The side tank shot is just :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thanks Deb, I was thinking the Hybrid ATO power module T5/LED, just can't justify the price for mostly LED emitters I don't want. I think I will just do a ATI dimming T5 fixture, I have LED strips so if I want I can add them, but I think 100% T5 for a while and see how it goes.

Looks phenomenal. :wub:

Archived