Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

Mr. Microscope

Thanks Mr. M, actually I am not sure, I have not been able to ID 100% but think it may be a Leptastrea of some kind, it prefers low light but currently it is encrusting a light exposed rock so it is getting a little bleached. It is more of a dark green in the shade :)

Oh, yeah. I think you're correct on that one.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the out of water pic! What's that last one? Pavona?

Thanks, it is interesting to see what corals do when they reach the water line. See below regarding the "last one".

Yes, that's the second pic in #1191.

Makes sense that AEFW took a toll on the millie. I've managed to import a fresh pile of AEFW crap in my tanks, its still minimal, but let's see.

Your blue stag looks pretty good. I've been trying to get that rich blue back onto that millie. It's polyps are also brown. Honestly, all my millie colors are off, whether its the AEFW or something else, I can't say. That said, my nutrients have fluctuated a bit recently, so there's another possibility. I'm also dosing a potassium iodide supp (not the zeo brand) in low quantities. I would say that it has helped, but maybe I'm not dosing enough. Got K back up to 400 from 290 (pale pale pale colors, using Salifert kit).

Can't say much about the light spectrum, until I have my own insights and experiences :D . Keeping an eye on this one :)

I am still working on colours, I have done everything additive wise now I know it must be lighting. I am running top bin Vertex Cree over the reef now but I think the spectrum needs some tweaking. I am still wanting to switch back to T5, not happy with my 3 year LED trial.

Try to keep K at 380-400ppm if you can, this will help with colours.

last one looks like pavonia to me.

A while back I spent considerable time trying to ID this coral, everyone I asked was not sure, I did extensive search on the internet, then just forgot about it. The corallites are quite small, they look bigger in the picture because it is a macro shot. I'm pretty sure it's Leptastrea, just a slightly bleached out one :)

jedimasterben

I am running top bin Vertex Cree over the reef now but I think the spectrum needs some tweaking. I am still wanting to switch back to T5, not happy with my 3 year LED trial.

Vertex certainly uses top-binned LEDs... if by top-binned you mean least expensive to order, old as dirt (in terms of LEDs, anyway, the XP-E are ancient compared to the XT-E and Rebel ES), and have the least spectral coverage possible in order to get a higher luminous output (meaning more PAR).

Interesting scientific study on bacteria, I wonder if Thomas Pohl was way ahead of things all along...

"Reefkeepers should appreciate bacteria for more than their nitrifying and denitrifying abilities. They help corals live and thrive. The relationships between corals and many microbial life forms is incredibly rich and fascinating. For example, might this new study help explain why "Zeovit corals" grow so well and look the way they do? Understanding these complex relationships will help us better understand corals and their care (both in the wild and in captivity)."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/bacteria-provide-corals-with-much-needed-nitrogen

For those not familiar with the Zeovit method, Zeolites are shaken daily to release mulm (bacteria film) off them. This disperses the bacteria into the water column so corals can feed on them.

Christine

Ordered the Hanna HI736 Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Checker yesterday, the Hanna HI713 Phosphate checker is a good tester but not suitable for monitoring ULNS Zeovit tanks. The lowest detectable PO4 level with the HI736 is an equivalent 0.003ppm, the lowest detectable level PO4 is 0.01ppm with the HI713.

Interesting scientific study on bacteria, I wonder if Thomas Pohl was way ahead of things all along...

"Reefkeepers should appreciate bacteria for more than their nitrifying and denitrifying abilities. They help corals live and thrive. The relationships between corals and many microbial life forms is incredibly rich and fascinating. For example, might this new study help explain why "Zeovit corals" grow so well and look the way they do? Understanding these complex relationships will help us better understand corals and their care (both in the wild and in captivity)."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/bacteria-provide-corals-with-much-needed-nitrogen

For those not familiar with the Zeovit method, Zeolites are shaken daily to release mulm (bacteria film) off them. This disperses the bacteria into the water column so corals can feed on them.

Christine

I'll have to read this tomorrow. Could be a good reason why I'm struggling with my tank. Thanks for the posting this.

Ordered the Hanna HI736 Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Checker yesterday, the Hanna HI713 Phosphate checker is a good tester but not suitable for monitoring ULNS Zeovit tanks. The lowest detectable PO4 level with the HI736 is an equivalent 0.003ppm, the lowest detectable level PO4 is 0.01ppm with the HI713.

The never ending quest for the perfect amount of phosphate lol.

That is an interesting coral. It looks a bit like Pavona varians with 'Stars', so I would say most likely Pavona explanulata:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/aimscoral/images/largest/0292_C1_07.jpg

Does it have sweepers? If so, it's almost certainly not a Leptastrea.

I very well could be, looks similar, I saw sweepers for the first time a week ago. Thanks.

I'll have to read this tomorrow. Could be a good reason why I'm struggling with my tank. Thanks for the posting this.

Were just beginning to fully understand the biology of corals. I know SPS do not fair well in sterile tanks, new or old. Ocean water is a living form in itself, you can't create it using only H2O and a bucket of salt.

The never ending quest for the perfect amount of phosphate lol.

Most hobby test kits are not low enough range to be of any use when keeping SPS in a ULNS. The quest for ULNS is a delicate one, I don't rely on the PO4 test kit but it's nice for a back up. I rely on my eyes more than ever these days when it comes to nutrients in the system, algae tells all :)

I'm curious if the Hanna phosphorus checker HI736 will be any more accurate than their phosphate checker HI713. Many people say it is, and more suited to ULNS. I will give it a try when it arrives next week.

On another note, my LFS is getting the ATI LED/T5 Hybrids in soon, they are pricy and not sure the LED spectrum is what I want. I may just switch to a straight T5 fixture and leave it at that. I am not happy with LED's in general any longer for my SPS corals.

I'm curious if the Hanna phosphorus checker HI736 will be any more accurate than their phosphate checker HI713. Many people say it is, and more suited to ULNS. I will give it a try when it arrives next week.

Ya, I agree. Let us know how you like it. I use the HI713 and I am happy with it, but if I could get even closer...

Ya, I agree. Let us know how you like it. I use the HI713 and I am happy with it, but if I could get even closer...

Will do :)

jedimasterben

On another note, my LFS is getting the ATI LED/T5 Hybrids in soon, they are pricy and not sure the LED spectrum is what I want. I may just switch to a straight T5 fixture and leave it at that. I am not happy with LED's in general any longer for my SPS corals.

Vertex certainly uses top-binned LEDs... if by top-binned you mean least expensive to order, old as dirt (in terms of LEDs, anyway, the XP-E are ancient compared to the XT-E and Rebel ES), and have the least spectral coverage possible in order to get a higher luminous output (meaning more PAR).

Need better LEDs.

:)

Need T5's LOL :)

I'm not an expert by any means but the tanks on Nano-Reef that have the most POP all seem to be T5's, I like LED's for a pile of reasons but in terms of colour quality T5's appear to be better. IMO.

jedimasterben

Need T5's LOL :)

With the use of high-CRI white LEDs as a base, and the use of at least a couple standard blue and cyan in addition to royal blue makes the addition of T5 superfluous and only necessary to reduce or eliminate shimmer.

So I received the Hanna HI736 today, I was eager to try it out. The instructions are the same for the HI736 as the HI713 so that makes it easy. They seem to have changed their product housing, seems like cheaper, thinner plastic, and I can't open the lid without breaking a nail! I did manage to get it open and went right to work, here are the results and final comments...

First test = 0.0 ppb PO4

Second test = 0.0 ppb PO4

I decided to test my pico tank that now has some flat worms and I haven't used the skimmer in 2 months, I know there has to be some PO4 in there ...right? ...Right? ... no, 0.0 ppb PO4.

So three tests and three same results on two very different tanks. Now I could go off in "Christine fashion" on this but I won't.

I will say, it is my firm belief that an accurate, reliable ULR PO4 (phosphate or phosphorus) test kit does not exist at a hobbyist level. I have tried quite a few. There is one test kit that I will stick with using however, MY EYES ! Cheap and much more reliable (for now) than anything else I can afford ATM :)

Indy, you asked for the review, now you can save yourself some $$$ :)

Nano sapiens

Hmmm, you have some very 'clean' tanks ;)

Personally, I can see checking for inorganic phosphate when/if something looks odd (such as rapid algae growth). I agree that the health of the tank and organisms is the best indicator...which just happens to be the cheapest, too!

Hmmm, you have some very 'clean' tanks ;)

Personally, I can see checking for inorganic phosphate when/if something looks odd (such as rapid algae growth). I agree that the health of the tank and organisms is the best indicator...which just happens to be the cheapest, too!

Squeaky clean :)

I agree the organic phosphate (or organophosphorus) is what we should be testing for in reef aquaria, makes no sense to be testing for phosphate which is likely the inorganic form bound up in the rocks on our reef. The question does remain however, is the Hanna ULR HI736 phosphorus meter all that effective in detecting low levels of phosphorus at all? It claims it does, and Hanna has a pretty good reputation, but feel the equipment is far too "hobby" for it to be accurate at low levels IMO. I had to try it, just to see for myself. I still think it has to be better than testing for phosphate and will likely keep it, or just make a YouTube video of me driving over it with my car, undecided LOL.

Squeaky clean :)

I agree the organic phosphate (or organophosphorus) is what we should be testing for in reef aquaria, makes no sense to be testing for phosphate which is likely the inorganic form bound up in the rocks on our reef. The question does remain however, is the Hanna ULR HI736 phosphorus meter all that effective in detecting low levels of phosphorus at all? It claims it does, and Hanna has a pretty good reputation, but feel the equipment is far too "hobby" for it to be accurate at low levels IMO. I had to try it, just to see for myself. I still think it has to be better than testing for phosphate and will likely keep it, or just make a YouTube video of me driving over it with my car, undecided LOL.

Have you tried testing different water sources?

I don't own the HI736, but have the 713 and stopped using it a while back. I believe Hanna have some quality issues with their reagents.

Nano sapiens

It's supposed to be accurate, but someone would need to test it against calibrated, laboratory grade equipment to really find out.

I remember on another large, popular reef site the insinuations that 'you aren't a serious reefer' if you don't own a high-res Hanna phosphate checker. Many folks don't realize that it only tests for inorganic phosphate or even know that there are many other species of phosphate that this product, or any other hobbyist grade kit, doesn't detect.

If you decide to part with, I'm sure there are dozens of folks who'll buy it :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Hi Christine,

If I wanted to perhaps touch the world of zeo, would I be able to do one of the many products I see or is it the combination only that will work... (to try one and improve coral coloration)

Have you tried testing different water sources?

I don't own the HI736, but have the 713 and stopped using it a while back. I believe Hanna have some quality issues with their reagents.

Hopefully not with the alk one though right? Lol I live by that thing...

Polarcollision

Christine

The more we learn about how bacteria are so critical to health and wellbeing the more fascinating they become. That's a fantastic article. Thatnks for sharing!

I have tried quite a few. There is one test kit that I will stick with using however, MY EYES ! Cheap and much more reliable (for now) than anything else I can afford ATM :)

Indy, you asked for the review, now you can save yourself some $$$ :)

Care to make a guide for calibrating newb EYES? I know the browning coral and algae growth bits, but is there anything else that tips you off?

Archived