Coral Vue Hydros

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

Oh wow, crazy overflow story! Arn't you glad you made the panic button? I would try to not lose too much sleep over it. Things happen.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey! just ordered the 3 pump GHL doser and 3 vertex vessels, any advice on setting them up? that'd be amazing!

Calibrate the doser and check the Vertex vessels for leaks and syphon.

Oh wow, crazy overflow story! Arn't you glad you made the panic button? I would try to not lose too much sleep overt time. Things happen.

Ya, the two hour drive home I was chanting to myself, "It's only coral, It's only coral" LOL.

Ya, the two hour drive home I was chanting to myself, "It's only coral, It's only coral" LOL.

How did that go? Were you able to convince yourself?

How did that go? Were you able to convince yourself?

No, in between the chants I was planning my next tank build :)

Some say Zeovit is SNAKE OIL, huh...

December 9 2012

9078790360_071dd75dbb_z.jpg

June 18 2013

9076578081_cc95ba93d7_z.jpg

April 3 2013

8662828821_29e40ed1ab_z.jpg

June 18 2013 (same exact branch)

9076575673_95664f85a3_z.jpg

Some other shots today...

9076571085_7444f63934_z.jpg

9076565313_857ef9b2d1_z.jpg

As the old saying goes,"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Congrats on your continued success. :)

Thanks, I was sceptical 7 months ago before switching to Zeovit but at the time I had nothing really to loose so I went full Zeovit, never looked back :)

Even the most skeptical among us have to admit that ZEO produces results you can see (even if not everyone is on-board for the price and ambiguous ingredients.) Everything is looking so healthy - time for a new FTS/FES yet?

Even the most skeptical among us have to admit that ZEO produces results you can see (even if not everyone is on-board for the price and ambiguous ingredients.) Everything is looking so healthy - time for a new FTS/FES yet?

Thanks ZROGST :)

I have frags all over my sand bed right now, when I get them cleared out I'm taking another FTS. I think people will like to see the growth since April.

jedimasterben

I believe quite a few of the products in the Zeo line are indeed snake oil, vague descriptions and all, and dosages make sure that it doesn't stay in the water column long.

I think it is due to your husbandry than to anything. Zeovit essentially makes you a slave to your tank with constant necessity of dosing, and as such, you pay much more attention to it and do what you need to do to take care of it.

/rant :P

I believe quite a few of the products in the Zeo line are indeed snake oil, vague descriptions and all, and dosages make sure that it doesn't stay in the water column long.

I think it is due to your husbandry than to anything. Zeovit essentially makes you a slave to your tank with constant necessity of dosing, and as such, you pay much more attention to it and do what you need to do to take care of it.

People are skeptical of what they do not understand, I know I was at first. The more I became to understand and see results, my skepticism went away. Yes there are more than one way to successfully run a reef, Zeovit is not the only way by any means, but I say if what someone is doing now is not working for them, why not give it a try. I switched because even with all the attention I paid to my reef when it was on Bio-Pellets, it was still failing. Funny thing is I spend less time with it now than I did when it was on pellets.

How much time do you spend working with your reef per week? I spend less than one hour these days, I have been more busy with my new ADA 7 gallon build. I also have a pico tank. This is my passion and hobby, I don't feel like a slave to it, I am a slave to the TAX MAN :)

Jedi, I can help you convert when you are ready...LOL :P

Christine I hear people say they have to "pump" the Zeo reactor, can you explain what that action is? Any why?

Arn't we all slaves to our tanks in some way? ;)

Christine I hear people say they have to "pump" the Zeo reactor, can you explain what that action is? Any why?

There is an inner chamber on a Zeo-Reactor that holds the Zeolite media, this media becomes encrusted with mulm (bacteria growth). This chamber needs to be shaken by pumping the chamber up and down. This releases the mulm off the Zeolites to make way for new bacteria growth and also feeds the corals when the bacteria is released. I do it either in the morning or at night, when I remember basically once a day (sometimes I miss a day, no big deal). It takes about 15-30 seconds but it is an important part of maintaining Zeolith media.

Bio-pellets are similar in that the mulm is removed by the tumbling action created by the flow in the reactor. The Zeolites are too heavy to tumble so they need to be manually shaken.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I believe it is Acropora formosa, but I have given up trying to identify species, they all take on different colours and shapes in various aquaria. Some corals are more known with common names like "Red Planet" which is actually Acropora anthocercis.

I had some small issues with this mariculture Bali coral a while ago, it is sometimes common for mariculture corals to go through a long adjustment phase when they are introduced to the aquarium. It seems to be doing much better now, I made a single frag already.

I do think I will slowly move away from maricultured pieces now, I find them challenging at times.

Thanks, I think it is useful to document such things to put some perspective on "fast growth" vs "slow growth", etc. A.millepora are generally fast growers once they get going, every species is different. I wish more hobbyists would do this kind of documentation so we could all get an idea (generally) how fast certain corals are expected to grow under ideal conditions. Slow growth for some might be considered fast growth for others, and vice-versa.

That is an interesting question really. What you have suggested regarding flow is valid however, in my observations, when I used to keep macro/micro elements much higher than NSW levels, I would experience some rapid growth spurts on some corals however, growth was not typical for the species, coralites were even spaced further apart than they should be. Almost like the coral grew so fast it didn't have time to form properly, almost like it was streched. Since I have been keeping NSW levels on all my elements for some time I have noticed corals grow as they do in the wild. This may be anecdotal but I believe now that high levels of some or all, macro and/or micro elements can affect coral skeletal formation.

It would be interesting to know if this is the case, maybe hear from others on this who are experiencing unusual growth formation in their SPS corals. Well that's my theory anyway, so much of what is observed by hobbyists like us is really not scientific information.

I do have one question for you though, do you dose iodine, if so how much, how often?

Sorry, a week late... I don't. I only dose the Rev bionic alk/ca. And the ca keeps my mg up... Reef crystals for wc.

duganderson

I love the photos from your tank of the month.......awesome.

I had one question. Your KH is a little lower than most folks seem to recommend. Most folks seem to recommend a KH of 9 or so. Do you intentionally keep yours a little lower and do you see a benefit for a KH at that level?

Either way.......it is working well for you because your corals look great.

I love the photos from your tank of the month.......awesome.

I had one question. Your KH is a little lower than most folks seem to recommend. Most folks seem to recommend a KH of 9 or so. Do you intentionally keep yours a little lower and do you see a benefit for a KH at that level?

Either way.......it is working well for you because your corals look great.

Thank you durganderson :)

I intentionally keep KH and all parameters at natural seawater levels. I have kept in the past higher KH and find no difference between high dKH and dKH at NSW levels, but feel high dKH (>9.0 dKH) IMO can be problematic. My growth is good at ~7.0 dKH as it is in the open ocean. Also, when running a low nutrient Zeovit system you should keep NSW levels as well.

Do you use the liquid or powder brightwell aquatics powders? I want to switch from seachem to either brightwell, or BRS.

I have been running the powder Brightwell's Calcion-P, Alkalin8.3-P, Magnesion-P for a couple of years now, pretty happy with the products overall, they mix up well, the Mg leaves a brown settlement on the bottom of the container but I believe this is common with Mg. I never switched because I know the mixture and dosing well (in my head) and it's just easier, haha. The big containers go a long way for me but not likely the most cost effective elements out there. I hear you can't go wrong with the BRS stuff.

TheKleinReef

I have been running the powder Brightwell's Calcion-P, Alkalin8.3-P, Magnesion-P for a couple of years now, pretty happy with the products overall, they mix up well, the Mg leaves a brown settlement on the bottom of the container but I believe this is common with Mg. I never switched because I know the mixture and dosing well (in my head) and it's just easier, haha. The big containers go a long way for me but not likely the most cost effective elements out there. I hear you can't go wrong with the BRS stuff.

i just admire the directions on the brightwell aquatics site. when i read seachem's directions its like "great, what am i supposed to do with this info?" but i did compare the effective-ness of seachem to BRS and seachem uses less solution to produce a higher raise in cal and alk (didn't test mag).

after emailing seachem, following their instructions, and still end up with sediment on the bottom of the Alk and Ca containers, it gets frustrating...

thanks for the info though!

Archived