Innovative Marine Aquariums

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 2013 Update

Well as many of you have pointed out, I have not been on the forum for a long time. Before tonight, my last post was back in May.

I was lucky enough to coach my son's Little League All Star Team through a District and State Championship over the summer and we made it to the Western Regionals of the Little League World Series. We were fortunate enough to play on ESPN for 4 games. The journey started in June and we finished the first week of August. While it was a great experience for all of us involved, it meant something had to give. Baseball rolled into a new factory startup at work so again, the tank and the journal took a back seat to other priorities. I'm happy to report that during all of the chaos I managed to keep up with general maintenance and keep my coral and fish content. Things are settling down for me and it's time to get the tank and journal updated. I think you will see from the recent photos that while my coral color has been better in the past, my growth has been pretty solid.

Dec2013FTS_zps303f249d.jpg

December 2013 FTS

TopDown_zpsea9d7f9e.jpg

Top Down Shot - For reference the Green Monti Cap is 18" across. The Green Birdsnest was my first SPS coral which was in my Nano Cube.

Setosa_zps6a5b0248.jpg

Close up of my Setosa. If you look at the FTS, you will see how big this coral has gotten. It takes up a big chunk of space in the front/center of the aquarium.

SideView_zps7f731e8c.jpg

A side view shot - You can see how large the Cali Tort is now. If you go back and view the first shots of the tank after coral was introduced, you will see a 1" frag sitting in that same location. The coral is more than a foot tall now.

MontiCap_zps38c24b7b.jpg

One more shot of the Green Monti Cap - I just recently removed about 1/3 of this coral and traded it in at the LFS for a few bags of fish food. It's always nice to get a little something in return.

Well that's it for tonight. I took a few more pictures that I will get off the camera and upload them soon.

December 19th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Best and most beautiful tank in NR!!!! :haha:

Really appreciate that.

Omgoodness. You're back with even 20x better stuff. TOTM, I DECLARE YOU.

Thanks so much.

this thread is insane

Thank you.

Nice to see a reef thats not in Windex.

A beautiful reef.

Thank you.

Damn nice looking tank and great pictures! Love the montis!

I also love the Montis. Lots of people shy away from them because of how fast they grow but I love the growth forms and colors.

Well we need to nominate you sheesh,

Thanks so much.

Impressive as always! What K color temperature rating would you give the tank overall? It's so natural yet stunning ah the same time.

The new pictures were taken with just my 20K MHs running. That is also my favorite way to view the tank. I run T5s with MHs for a good portion of the day but only the MHs for the time I'm home most. When the MHs are on the over all lighting skews to pink/purple tint.

December 2013 - Additional Photos

Here are a few more photos that were taken 2 nights ago.

Dec2013FTS2_zpse6093152.jpg

Here is another FTS take from the other side of the aquarium.

Grape_zps13f68998.jpg

Idaho Grape Monti Cap - Color is really coming in on this piece

Chalice_zpsb11318ec.jpg

Same Idaho Grape Monti along with some Blue Chalice. I've always liked the light pastel tones of the ORA Blue Chalice

Xfactor_zps555da073.jpg

One more monti cap shot. This is the X-Factor Monti which has the blue polyps on the green body

December 19, 2013 - Photo Update

A few more photos.

FTSPano_zpsbae1190c.jpg
Here is a larger FTS that came from 2 smaller photos that were stitched together. Not the best photo but you can get a pretty good idea of what the aqua scape looks like.

TrenchwLeMark_zps43f93ff4.jpg

This photo shows the center trench which was my original scape idea. Over the past two years, I've had to narrow it down to accommodate the growth. I like the texture provided by the Gorgonians in the trench. The LeMark Angel swimming through is a nice addition.

Ultimately, I'd love to have a tank that would accommodate about 12" trench. The main driver for my scape was Oregon Reef. If you have not seen it before, I recommend you Google it.

Hogger_zps24ff8d3b.jpg
One of two new fish that I added in the past 6 months. This is a Twin Spot Hogfish also called a Candy Striped Hogfish. What drew me to this fish was the personality. He always comes right to the glass to check out the humans.

Blenny_zpsa5aafb82.jpg
My other newer fish, a Sail-fin Blenny. You have to love the eye lashes!

Holy crap, that's all I can say. This is an absolute masterpiece, both in the tank and in the stand. You should be really proud of what you have achieved.

December 20th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

This tank makes me so happy! Amazing progress. Can't wait to setup a small version of your tank. Lol u got me inspired.

Thanks for the comments. Good luck with the new setup. Feel free to PM me here on NR if you have any questions on my build.

Boom shaka laka laka. This tank is a beauty piece.

Many Thanks!

Absolutely Stunning TOTY IMO

Thank you

Wonderful tank and very nice photography, too! Glad to see it was maintained during the hustle-n-bustle of Little League.

Thanks for the kind words.

Amazing! Good to see you're still in it! Your nano inspired me to get back into this addiction, and I've worked in many of your ideas into my new tanks.

That is very great to hear that you've used some of the items I've posted. As far as still being in it, I don't see me getting out of it. Love the hobby too much.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I scrolled down to the Idaho Grape Monti.. :o

Thanks, The purple is beautiful.

awesome, been considering a candy hog

Get one. Very cool fish. Only complaint about them is their curiosity has a tendency to get them in bad spots. After day 3 or 4 I could not find him which was rare because he's always out. End up finding him in the sump, I rescued him and about a week later found him in the overflow. Another rescue and he's been good since.

Holy crap, that's all I can say. This is an absolute masterpiece, both in the tank and in the stand. You should be really proud of what you have achieved.

Thanks so much. I'm proud but there is always a small bit of discontent with where the tank is at. That is what pushes us to improve.

December 2013 - A few more photos

CenterTrench_zps66edbd09.jpg

Another shot of the center trench. I like how the large monti is casting the green reflection on top of the water. Also showing in the background is my Black Cap Basslet, he's pretty camera shy so doesn't make many photos.

Trio_zps3ff35ab5.jpg

A nice trio... Bartlett's Anthias, LeMark Angel and Clown Fish

CenterLandscape_zps98025910.jpg

Another middle shot of the tank, this time with Big Blue, a couple Chromis, a LeMark and the Melanarus Wrasse lurking in the background.

CaliTort_zpsc9013211.jpg

Enough fish pics, here a nice solo shot of my Cali Tort

Archived