Cultivated Reef

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

Hey, I am building a new tank, in wall. One long and one short side exposed. If you could build a larger tank, what would you do? I am thinking at least 72 left to right. Uncertain about height and depth. Rimless isn't important since it will be in wall. I will have access behind the wall in a utility room.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 12, 2012 - Response to Feedback

Hey, I am building a new tank, in wall. One long and one short side exposed. If you could build a larger tank, what would you do? I am thinking at least 72 left to right. Uncertain about height and depth. Rimless isn't important since it will be in wall. I will have access behind the wall in a utility room.

Genj - Thanks for letting me provide an opinion. I love looking at my tank from the sides and after doing this for more than a year, I've figured out that I love the depth the tank provides when looking across the tank. IMO the best aqua scapes have as much going on front to back as they do from side to side. If/when I do another tank it will be 60" from left to right, 48" from front to back and 18" tall. My current tank is 18" tall and I really like it, I'm able to clean down to the sand bed without getting my shirt wet and I can grow any coral from top to bottom in my tank. In summary, if you have the room go for some extra depth, I think it makes all the difference in the world. Here is a tank that inspires me, it's as deep as it is long.

Marco Madeira
Macro Madeira - When I first read your post (Congratulations!!!), I thought I had won something! I really appreciate your kind words here, it's always nice when someone appreciates the organization that goes into things. One of my favorite quotes is, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" by Leonardo Da Vinci. I think this holds very true in our hobby.

Yes... i am also a follower of the KIS (keep it simple). After 14 year on the saltwater side of this hobby I am a true believer of your quote!

Will keep following your tank, already gave me a lot to thought regarding my next project! B)

You've been on a roll lately. Reading your aquarium blog is like reading a good quality magazine.

You need to commit to a schedule, like a prober publishing establishment should. This way I can time my reading with my morning coffee ;)

The tank is looking great, glad you got rid of the red bugs.

December 12, 2012 - Response to Feedback

Genj - Thanks for letting me provide an opinion. I love looking at my tank from the sides and after doing this for more than a year, I've figured out that I love the depth the tank provides when looking across the tank. IMO the best aqua scapes have as much going on front to back as they do from side to side. If/when I do another tank it will be 60" from left to right, 48" from front to back and 18" tall. My current tank is 18" tall and I really like it, I'm able to clean down to the sand bed without getting my shirt wet and I can grow any coral from top to bottom in my tank. In summary, if you have the room go for some extra depth, I think it makes all the difference in the world. Here is a tank that inspires me, it's as deep as it is long.

So after taking a look at this, you got me thinking more about a deeper tank. The problem starts to become the expense of a custom tank that would meet the larger measurements. That being said, marineland has a 60x36x27. Ever seen one of these and have any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would stop by here and add more kudos. This tank, like your cube before it, is truly inspiring! That Monti is awesome! I have a birdsnest that seems to be ok but doesn't thrive like it used to, and I have that little acro (tort) frag, but I am interesting in trying others... any thoughts on hardier SPS? I hear Monti's are good... do they grow quickly? Thanks again for all the advice and help man!

Viewpoints - 1/12/2013 Response to Feedback

Yes... i am also a follower of the KIS (keep it simple). After 14 year on the saltwater side of this hobby I am a true believer of your quote!

Will keep following your tank, already gave me a lot to thought regarding my next project! B)

Thanks for your views and comments. I'm happy to hear that my journal has given you a few ideas for your next tank.

You've been on a roll lately. Reading your aquarium blog is like reading a good quality magazine.
You need to commit to a schedule, like a prober publishing establishment should. This way I can time my reading with my morning coffee ;)
The tank is looking great, glad you got rid of the red bugs.

Many thanks for the kind words, never thought of my journal as a magazine but I'll take it. I'm also very glad the Red Bugs have been irradiated

So after taking a look at this, you got me thinking more about a deeper tank. The problem starts to become the expense of a custom tank that would meet the larger measurements. That being said, marineland has a 60x36x27. Ever seen one of these and have any thoughts?

Never seen that tank but the dimensions look promising. Bottom line, I would advise you get the biggest tank you can fit in the space you have. Otherwise you will just want to upgrade again.

Amazing tank, I just read every page, so organized. Hope to one day have a tank like this. When I'm older anyways. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your words are much appreciated.

New page - New photos ! :wub:omgomgomg

Very soon. Thanks for looking.

Thought I would stop by here and add more kudos. This tank, like your cube before it, is truly inspiring! That Monti is awesome! I have a birdsnest that seems to be ok but doesn't thrive like it used to, and I have that little acro (tort) frag, but I am interesting in trying others... any thoughts on hardier SPS? I hear Monti's are good... do they grow quickly? Thanks again for all the advice and help man!

Monti's are very hardy and given the proper parameters they will grow quickly. Birds nests are another hardy SPS but I've found that they don't like high alkalinity. When my alk gets above 9 they lose color and extension. I like to keep my Alk at 8 which seems to suit them well. A couple other SPS you may one to try are digitatas and milli's. Best of luck and thanks for your view and comments

wow i really love this tank, how clean it is and the tool rack is amazing !!! makes me feel like a slob LOLLL GREAT pics love it all, and ur journal entries

First Attempt at Video

I spent a little time messing around with the Iphone and IMovie and it resulted in a quick one minute video of the aquarium. I think it's pretty neat that you can do all of this from a phone. The quality is not great but for a phone, it is down right amzaing. Creating this short video has me wanting to get a new DSLR that has video capability. This would allow from some really nice video through a macro lens.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2
nanolutionary

plumbing4.jpg

See colored arrows to map directional flow of the water

Hi, amazing tank, fabulous set-up which is why I am confused as to the reason you have the 360' turn in the return flow?

Viewpoints - January 13, 2013 Response to Feedback

wow i really love this tank, how clean it is and the tool rack is amazing !!! makes me feel like a slob LOLLL GREAT pics love it all, and ur journal entries

Many thanks for your compliments.

Beautiful!!! :)

Thanks!

That's a sweet little video of your awesome tank ! Thanks fo showing it off.

Appreciate your kind words.

Hi, amazing tank, fabulous set-up which is why I am confused as to the reason you have the 360' turn in the return flow?

Thanks for your views and comments. The turn in the return line was due to limited space under my sump. In my plumbing, I have ball valves to isolate the tank from the sump as well as unions so I can remove and clean the lines. With these extra plumbing features, it was impossible to go strait from the return pump back to the tank.

Viewpoints - January 13, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Awesome video ! Your tank is looking perfect as always. Are you still using the brs bulk chemicals ?

Thanks for the compliment on the video and tank. I am still using BRS Cal, Alk, Mag as well as their Carbon and GFO and just recently started running their Bio Pellets. I guess I'm one of BRS's best customers.

nanolutionary

What i like most about this thread is the professional layout of your pictures where have you gone to create bordering and central alignment on your pictures?

Viewpoints - iPhone Video Take 2

I made a second iPhone video that was a bit longer with some extra shots of the live stock. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking.

• Like 3
nanolutionary

What i like most about this thread is the professional layout of your pictures where have you gone to create bordering and central alignment on your pictures?

No?

Viewpoints - January 16th, 2013 Response to Feedback

Thanks for the comment about the professional layout. To add a border on a photo, I use photo shop but any photo editing software including Picassa from Google will work. In terms of centering the photos you can do that when you create your post. After you insert your photo link into your post, just highlight it and use the centering tool within the post tool bar.

Omg omg omg omg Splendid ass video!!!! Thanks man for making one haha. I've added it to my favorites on youtube.

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Fabulous video.

Thank You!

No?

Yes!

• Like 1

Viewpoints - January 21, 2013 Photo Update

Happy New Years! It's been a while since I've posted any photos of the aquarium so I got the DSLR out tonight and snapped a few shots.

I have some exciting news to share in regards to my Clown Fish. For those of you that followed my Nano Cube, you know that I've had the same Clown Fish for 5 years now. In that time, I've provided Duncans, Hammers, RTBA and a Torch coral for them to host in. Despite my best efforts, they continued to love the return nozzle in both my Nano and the larger tank. Just before Christmas, my Torch Coral started to sting one of my SPS. As a result, I decided to move it to the very back of the tank where it was out of reach of all my corals. A day after I moved the coral, the Clown Fish decided it was time to make it their home. For those of you trying to get your Clown Fish to host, try an area of the tank with less flow, that seemed to be the biggest difference for me. Here are a couple shots of the Clown Fish in their new home.

Clown2_zps5a02fd10.jpg

Male Clown Fish - Enjoying the new Digs

Clown-2_zps660bf971.jpg

Female Clown Fish - Safely tucked away for the night

Another change that was made since my last update was a slight tweak to my aquascape which opened up the center trench and created a second smaller trench on the left side of the aquarium. I'm very happy with the new changes, it's opened the tank up quite a bit and created some additional points of interest. The tangs seem to be very happy with the wider center trench and extra swimming area. The smaller fish seem to really like the new smaller trench which provides some extra security.

JanCenterTrench_zps643faa5e.jpg

The wider center trench, helped to open up the tank

SideTrench_zpse105a3b4.jpg

The new scape created a second smaller trench that can be viewed from the left side of the aquarium

One more photo for tonight's journal entry which is a macro shot of one of my Acros. This was was labeled as Mint Berry Crunch when I bought it. I'm not much into the names of corals but this is one of my favorites. It's maintained good growth and color for over a year now which included some learning periods with a few Alk swings. I really liked the composition of this photo.

MintBerry-1_zps0455bece.jpg

Macro Shot - Mint Berry Crunch

Thanks for looking. I look forward to your constructive feedback.

Archived