Innovative Marine Aquariums

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WOW, every time I stop by to read this thread I am amazed. Its not often you see someone pay as much attention to the thread detail as they do for the tank. I have picked up so many helpful tips along the way.

Thanks again

jbb_00 - Thanks so much for the view and comment. I'm glad to pass along any ideas that I can.

Do some big water changes. That should help out just as much.

Criley7 - Thanks for the tips. I was able to rid the Cyano with the use of KZ Coral Snow. Up to that point, water changes were not doing a thing to it. Glad to have that behind me for now.

Great tank!

Genj - Many Thanks!

Any updates?

Very sorry for the delay, I've seriously neglected the journal. But not the tank!!! I will be posting some photos tonight.

Very interested in updates as well.

twan - Stand by.

Update me please :)

Hey urbaneks,

I added you as one of my inspirations!!

IIX - Stand by for update and thanks for the inspiration comment.

Looking for updates... How goes the cyano battle?

uglyfish - Cyano battle is over, I'm happy to report that I've won the war. Thanks for asking.

He hasn't gotten on for 20 days!

iball1804 - very sorry for the long pause. The tank has been getting all the love while the journal has been neglected. Update coming shortly.

Sub'd and drooling! Seriously this is a great looking tank... great inspiration!

th64 - Thanks so much for the kind words.

That's what cyano does to a man! Stay the course!

pschom - Thanks for the support, that was what I needed to hear.

Viewpoints - Tank at 1 Year and 2 Months

It's been quite sometime since I've posted any photos of the tank. While the journal has not been taken care of the tank has. I've spent the last few months battling Cyano which is finally gone. While water changes and bacteria helped it was KZ's Coral Snow that really seemed to finish it off.

In addition to the Cyano battle, I've also been experimenting with different KZ products including Coral Vitalizer, Phol's Xtra and their Amino Acid. Over the past few months, I've tried to find a good balance between color/growth and nutrient control. It's a never ending battle but I'm pretty pleased with the current color and growth that I'm getting.

My frags are slowly but surely becoming colonies while the tank is filling in. I just recently added a few LPS such as Clove Polyp and an Acan Frag. These have been added to the Torch, Blastos and Duncan that I already had. These were added to give the tank some additional movement and something for those that come over to really look at. While I still love the SPS, most people that visit the tank are drawn to the easier to keep LPS. The new LPS additions have also helped to make the tank seem fuller.

FTS1-1.jpg

Here is a FTS taken from the left side. This is the best angle to view the center trench that runs through the tank.

Trench2.jpg

Here is another shot of the center trench. Photos really don't do the trench justice,it adds a lot more depth to the tank than the photos show.

Conch.jpg

Tiger Conch - This guy along with one other was added to aid with the Cyano battle. Very, very cool creatures! These guys add additional character to the tank and never stop cleaning the sand bed. Very good additions.

Cloves.jpg

Clove Polyp - This was one of the soft corals I recently added to give the tank some additional movement and something for the non SPS lovers to look at. I'm not big on Clove Polyps but these struck my eye with the orange and green colors.

Deleted User 4
Waiting patiently for pictures updates. Can wait to see what you will surprise us this time.

+2 :lol:

Nice updates man!! Your tank has grown a lot since the last update.

Looks great Brad! I recently found this thread after looking for your 28 and WOW, I'm impressed as usual. Definitely sub'd. I'm glad you won the fight with cyano.

-Drew

Viewpoints - Additional Photos taken at 1 year 4 months

Here are a few more photos that were taken last night

FTS2.jpg

FTS shot taken from the left

Table.jpg

Not sure of the name on this coral but one that I like a lot.

AquaMarine.jpg

One more shot of the same coral. This has been a good grower for me

TurqAcro.jpg

This is a Maricultured piece I purchased from my LFS. I really love the blue tips on this one

+2 :lol:

Nice updates man!! Your tank has grown a lot since the last update.

IIX - Appreciate the views and comments. Thanks for noticing the growth.

Glad to cya back urbaneks, tank is looking great!

twan - Many thanks!

Looks great Brad! I recently found this thread after looking for your 28 and WOW, I'm impressed as usual. Definitely sub'd. I'm glad you won the fight with cyano.

-Drew

dday80 - Thanks for subscribing and keeping up with the tank. Hope all is well on your end.

Nice, nice!! Keep it up with the pictures ahah.

IIX - Again, thanks!

The tank is looking great!

animalmaster6 - Thank you!

What a nice surprise to click on the thread and see new pics.

Tank is looking great.

brad908 - Sorry for the surprise, it should not have been so long since I posted. Time got away from me. Thanks for the comments.

Viewpoints - July 4th Photo Update

Happy 4th of July! Here are a few more recent photos of the tank.

Trench1.jpg

This picture really shows the Cali Tort growth over the past year (Blue Coral Top Left). Of course my Blue Tang (The Boss) is front and center.

Superman.jpg

Here is a shot of my Superman Montipora, not as much growth of this guy as my Poker Star Monti but I do like the colors.

RedPlanet-1.jpg

Red Planet - This coral has been encrusting nicely for the last 6-8 months with little branch growth. Just in the last 3-4 weeks, it's been popping up the new white growth. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come!

Pastels.jpg

I really like this photo for the layers of colors that are shown. In the foreground is an ORA Spongodes, in focus is a coral I got from a friend, believe he called it Mint Berry Crunch and in the background you can see the Red Planet and the Cali Tort.

Everything looks great! funny how some will grow painfully slow, while others will spread so fast you have to prune them to not kill off others. Keep it up!

BTW, every time I look at this thread it makes me want to go back to Halide. Someday....when I can afford to do it right.

Amazing thread for an amazing tank. Nicely done, Urbanek, I enjoyed reading your thread and seeing a tank build with such attention to detail.

Thank you for sharing your viewpoints with us.

-skillz

The red planet acro looks awesome as we speak.

IIX - Yes it does! One of my favorites for sure.

Everything looks great! funny how some will grow painfully slow, while others will spread so fast you have to prune them to not kill off others. Keep it up!

BTW, every time I look at this thread it makes me want to go back to Halide. Someday....when I can afford to do it right.

pschom - So true on the growth and it's usually the one's I don't want to grow that grow like wild fire. I assume based on your comment that you are an LED user. I've never had LED so can't comment on it but I do love my light. No regrets for me.

Amazing thread for an amazing tank. Nicely done, Urbanek, I enjoyed reading your thread and seeing a tank build with such attention to detail.

Thank you for sharing your viewpoints with us.

-skillz

fewskillz - Thanks for your view and taking the time to post the kind words. It's much appreciated.

Are you still dosing the brs two part ?

jam77 - I am still dosing the BRS Two Part along with the BRS Magnesium. About 4-5 months ago my two part dose got to be extremely high so I started supplementing my dosing regiment with Kalk. I use a TLF Kalk reactor which runs every other hour for 45 seconds with water from my ATO. This along with the two part has been keeping my Alk and Cal stable.

Urb, how do you get your sandbed so nice and clean? It's one of the biggest annoyances for me right now. I know I've got a new tank (approaching 5 months), but it's something I really want to work towards.

Archived