Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it! :haha:

iball1804 - Thanks so much. It's been a while since I've heard from you. Hope all is well!

I sense a TOTM in the making!

TMG - Thanks for your vote of confidence on a possible TOTM. I will need more corals and grow time before if would be ready for something like that.

saltwatercoral

Every time I check in when I see the emails in my inbox all I see is more awesomeness! Love each and every piece of coral as well as build. Super clean!

I'm not even qualified to be this articulate. Lmao. Really amazing. And as far as Monti Caps go, I love them. Of course the stigma of the cap is that its easy and it's a beginner coral, but who cares. They look great and spread like crazy. And there are so many varieties. Anyway, tank is superb. If I had the $$ I'd do what you have done. As it stands right now I'm pushing it. ;)

saltwatercoral
I'm not even qualified to be this articulate. Lmao. Really amazing. And as far as Monti Caps go, I love them. Of course the stigma of the cap is that its easy and it's a beginner coral, but who cares. They look great and spread like crazy. And there are so many varieties. Anyway, tank is superb. If I had the $$ I'd do what you have done. As it stands right now I'm pushing it. ;)

This hobby always seems like you have to push it to keep a nice system up and running, lol!

Every time I check in when I see the emails in my inbox all I see is more awesomeness! Love each and every piece of coral as well as build. Super clean!

saltwatercoral - Thanks for continuing to check in on the updates to the tank and journal. It's great to be able to share progress with people who share the same passion for the hobby.

pschom - Thanks for your view and comments. I think a lot of people shy away from caps because they can grow and shade other corals. I try to place them strategically so they don't shade prime real estate.

This hobby always seems like you have to push it to keep a nice system up and running, lol!

So true on pushing it. I always have something else that I want to buy or an improvement project for something I already have.

So true on pushing it. I always have something else that I want to buy or an improvement project for something I already have.

Ha, yeah. It's called R-OCD. And we all have it. :wacko:

1.) Love the GE Motion-Sensing LED Lights. I am thinking about 2 or 3 for my 36x18x18 stand. I'll buy 2 first and see how it looks I guess.

2.) Forgive me if this has been discussed before but do you have any heat issues inside the stand?

I know you have the ceiling fan kick on to lower the tank temperature. Just wondering if you run any fans in the stand itself? If I have to drill holes in my stand (1 on each side pull/push) I want to do it before the tank goes on it.

Ha, yeah. It's called R-OCD. And we all have it. :wacko:

Guilty as charged

ohh man wowsers!! :D

IIX - Many thanks for the continued views and comments

1.) Love the GE Motion-Sensing LED Lights. I am thinking about 2 or 3 for my 36x18x18 stand. I'll buy 2 first and see how it looks I guess.

2.) Forgive me if this has been discussed before but do you have any heat issues inside the stand?

I know you have the ceiling fan kick on to lower the tank temperature. Just wondering if you run any fans in the stand itself? If I have to drill holes in my stand (1 on each side pull/push) I want to do it before the tank goes on it.

twan - Glad that the lights are working out for you. The only drawback I've found to them is that if you leave them on the sensing mode, they come on randomly and drain the AAA batteries. I've pretty much gone to just on or off.

As for the heat under the stand, I have my two MH ballast installed so it does get hot under the stand. This heat does not translate to heat in the tank. As I've mentioned before, my ceiling fan comes on when the MHs come on and my water stays between 78 and 79 degrees. I started out with fan under the stand but removed it after a quick test that showed it was not needed to keep my tank temps down. With all of that said, I do think the air can get a bit stale under the stand which could result in lower pH and your skimmer not pulling in fresh air. A fan could help to bring in fresh air. If I had to do it over again, I would install a couple small computer fans, one on each side of the stand. One that pulled fresh air in and the other that pushed air out. This would keep a good draw going through the stand.

I just stumbled across this thread and I'm sure glad I did! This is such a beautiful tank and your attention to detail and love for the hobby are truly inspiring!

If I had to do it over again, I would install a couple small computer fans, one on each side of the stand. One that pulled fresh air in and the other that pushed air out. This would keep a good draw going through the stand.

I fully understand, I am going to drill my stand when I get it on each side and have one pull fresh air in and the other push air out. I have two SilenX case fans I was going to use for my Nanocube I can use. They do not push a ton of air but they are pretty silent.

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=ixp-34-16

I just stumbled across this thread and I'm sure glad I did! This is such a beautiful tank and your attention to detail and love for the hobby are truly inspiring!

josh.m.collins24 - Thanks for taking the time to comment on the tank journal. It's good to have a fresh set of eyes on the tank. I really appreciate your compliments on the tank and my dedication to the hobby. I do really love the hobby which makes the "work" that goes along with it easy and enjoyable. A lot of people just want a pretty tank to look at but they don't enjoy the work that goes with it so they hobby eats them up. I find that if you enjoy the process that goes along with a hobby it becomes sustainable.

I fully understand, I am going to drill my stand when I get it on each side and have one pull fresh air in and the other push air out. I have two SilenX case fans I was going to use for my Nanocube I can use. They do not push a ton of air but they are pretty silent.

http://www.silenx.com/quiet.fans.asp?sku=ixp-34-16

twan - Exactly - You get the idea. Make sure to post some pictures when you get to doing the work so we can learn from it. Best of luck.

man I love your tank, to me - it feels like the big version of mine....the scape...the glass...the edging..the depth, it all flows so well together. I cannot wait until Im outta an apartment(3rd floor) and can have something that weighs a bit more lol

WOWWWWWW ..... I been reading your build for the past hour , getting some ideas for my 1ST built ....... really nice work ....... WOW ......................

man I love your tank, to me - it feels like the big version of mine....the scape...the glass...the edging..the depth, it all flows so well together. I cannot wait until Im outta an apartment(3rd floor) and can have something that weighs a bit more lol

Deckoz2302 - Thanks for the view and compliment on the tank. I'm glad to hear you think it flows. That is important to me.

WOWWWWWW ..... I been reading your build for the past hour , getting some ideas for my 1ST built ....... really nice work ....... WOW ......................

velezdav - Awesome! Glad to hear you've read vs. just looking at pictures, not there is an issue with that. I think we are all visual people. With that said, it's nice to know that some of the words I've put down are getting read as well. Thanks for the kind words, if you have questions as you plan or build just let me know.

You know what would be terrific? If you could provide a detailed list for everything that's in your marvellous equipment tray. Obvious things like refractometer and mag cleaner are self explanatory, but I have no idea as to why you need a flashlight, what types of saltwater test kits do you use, etc. Just a thought, but that would make your super detailed blog even more awesome.

Know what I hate about this tank?

It wont be eligible for TOTM.

:tears:

On second thought...is there a size limit for TOTM on here?

Yikes!

Very good, very good.

adinsxq - Thank you.

You know what would be terrific? If you could provide a detailed list for everything that's in your marvellous equipment tray. Obvious things like refractometer and mag cleaner are self explanatory, but I have no idea as to why you need a flashlight, what types of saltwater test kits do you use, etc. Just a thought, but that would make your super detailed blog even more awesome.

dtum - Thanks for the inquiry. If you have never viewed your tank with a flashlight, I urge you to do it about 30 minutes after the lights go out. You will see things in your tank that you had no idea were in there. That is the reason for the flashlight. In addition, I use it to look at equipment under the stand, make sure there are no leaks, etc. etc.

I've reworked my maintenance board since that picture to accommodate the tools I use to maintain the larger tank. The items include; a larger magnet cleaner, refractometer, toothbrush, algae pad, tongs, acrylic scrapers for coraline, turkey baster, TDS meter, multiple brushes used to clean pumps, tubing etc.

For test kits, I use the following; Cal - Elos, Alk - Hanna Checker, Mag - Salifert, Phos - Hanna Checker, Nit - Salifert. When I reworked the maintenance board, I moved all the test kits from board into a plastic container. I've found it easier to just grab the tub and I have everything I need to test my water including a pen and paper to record the results.

Know what I hate about this tank?

It wont be eligible for TOTM.

:tears:

On second thought...is there a size limit for TOTM on here?

nor_cal_nano - Not sure if there is a size limit for TOTM. Clearly getting a TOTM is a long shot anyway so it's not a reason for doing what we do. If it happens great, if not no biggie. For me it's all about sharing ideas and knowledge so we can all learn from each other.

The organization and cleanliness of this tank is simply amazing and awe inspiring.

Veng - Thank you for your view and taking the time to compliment. I'm a strong believer in a neat and orderly work place, I've carried that over to my hobbies as well.

I rolled to Home Depot today and picked up some MDF board to make my own "equipment panel." Hopefully I can get my stand half as organized as yours. I'm working with even less space, so it has become necessary to clean it up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wowwwwwza. I just read this one from start to finish and it is ah-ma-zing! Love your attention to detail.

Not to mention, A+ photography skills! I truly enjoyed the different SPS pictures, the colour is amazing!

Following along :)

This has got to be one of the cleanest and amazingly well thought out builds I have seen on any forum/ in person. Very nice! True inspiration for all of us. Look forward to more updates.

Btw, not that I would change anything, but have you ever considered LED lighting for the display?

Archived