inTank Media Baskets

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

$925 is really not that bad for such an awesome Starphire tank. Hmm, I think I might have to send them a request for quote pretty soon. Do you know of any other custom builders that do Starphire? I know GlassCages does, but I've heard bad things about them around NR.

rb1685 - I agree that CAD's price is a good value for what you get. As for other builder's, I really don't know any others. I can tell you that I researched it when I was planning and I felt CAD was the best deal. As for GCages, I heard the same things which is why I did not go that route.

You're going to love the brute cans for water transfers! So much easier.

LouDog3 - Yes, I've done one water change with the new system and it was nice. I'll be doing a second one tomorrow so I'm hoping to work out the kinks from the first go.

Looks good! When I got my Brute 32g I got the bottom part that has the wheels attached to the base. so I can just roll it over to the sink and flip the pump back on and get water pumped back out of the can. I now see after doing my first 25g water change that having 2 of these Brutes make life much easier. I originaly put the pump inside the tank and would pump water into 5 gallon deer park jugs (5 of them) and then put the pump into my brute with the water in it and pump it back into the aquarium. Now I am getting a second one like you have but Im just getting another one on wheels, so that I can pump the same amount of water in and out! Great Idea though! As time goes on I want to get a hole drilled in the wall next to the tank and run plumbing down to a drain and be able to just do a water change that way and then get a flap/cover over the wall and paint it so it looks nice and uniform!

saltwatercoral - One thing that I did that has made the system easier was to take the time to fill the Brute 5 gallons at a time and then make mark inside the container at each interval. This allows me to make a 5, 10, 15 or 20 gallon water change and now exactly how much is coming out.

Damn you all and your backbreaking water change procedures! Your making me think about yet another DIY!

twan - If you have a fish room, you could actually get much more automated. I wish I were able to go that route but for now the dual cans and cart is as good as it's going to get for me.

amazing documentation work

kidninja - Thanks for your view and comment. I'm glad you appreciate the documentation.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing that I did that has made the system easier was to take the time to fill the Brute 5 gallons at a time and then make mark inside the container at each interval. This allows me to make a 5, 10, 15 or 20 gallon water change and now exactly how much is coming out.

I am assuming you did this by gouging small marks directly into the plastic of the container? Marker or Tape will just not hold up.

saltwatercoral - One thing that I did that has made the system easier was to take the time to fill the Brute 5 gallons at a time and then make mark inside the container at each interval. This allows me to make a 5, 10, 15 or 20 gallon water change and now exactly how much is coming out.

I am assuming you did this by gouging small marks directly into the plastic of the container? Marker or Tape will just not hold up.

I did the same thing when I first set up my tank over a year ago, except I marked every gallon both 5-gal buckets. I did so with a sharpee and the marks are still bold and clear. It helps a lot when I decide to do a smaller water change than what I normally do - both with pulling out tank water and mixing new SW. It would be cool to find some kind of large bucket with a clear strip down the side and volume gradations already marked on it. Like a huge measuring cup!

I did the same thing when I first set up my tank over a year ago, except I marked every gallon both 5-gal buckets. I did so with a sharpee and the marks are still bold and clear. It helps a lot when I decide to do a smaller water change than what I normally do - both with pulling out tank water and mixing new SW. It would be cool to find some kind of large bucket with a clear strip down the side and volume gradations already marked on it. Like a huge measuring cup!

I got 2 buckets from Petsmart that has .5 gallon markings up to 3 gallons. I bought two of these and that is what I use for my water changes. For tanks like ours, its great!

I have to say, your thread has been a true pleasure to read. I myself am planning a similar build, with similar components, and your thread could not have come at a better time for me. It has shown me what is possible, and has given me a few ideas on how to tweak my build a bit better. I wish I had the room for a 30" front to back, but my tank dimensions will be 54 x 24 x 20, and I hope its half as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing your journey.

This tank is looking amazing. Your attention to detail is fantastic, makes me ashamed at the jumble of cords that my tank is hooked up to! Beautiful.

saltwatercoral

Questions for you urbaneks! I have currently only 1 MP40wEs and a nother pump and I will be replacing the Korala one with another PM40wEs to make 2. I see you already have 2 of these on your tank now. What setting do you have yours set at?

I have to say, your thread has been a true pleasure to read. I myself am planning a similar build, with similar components, and your thread could not have come at a better time for me. It has shown me what is possible, and has given me a few ideas on how to tweak my build a bit better. I wish I had the room for a 30" front to back, but my tank dimensions will be 54 x 24 x 20, and I hope its half as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing your journey.

rovster - Congrats on the upcoming build. The planning stage is a lot of fun and difficult at the same time. It's not easy making all of the decisions that have to be made. Thanks for your view and kind words on the tank and build.

This tank is looking amazing. Your attention to detail is fantastic, makes me ashamed at the jumble of cords that my tank is hooked up to! Beautiful.

Paigee - Thanks so much for your kind words. It's never to late to get your tank organized. For about $10 you can have a nice equipment panel instead of that jungle of cords. Thanks again for checking in on the journal.

Questions for you urbaneks! I have currently only 1 MP40wEs and a nother pump and I will be replacing the Korala one with another PM40wEs to make 2. I see you already have 2 of these on your tank now. What setting do you have yours set at?

saltwatercoral - I bought the WXM module that goes with my Apex Controller. This allows me to program multiple settings and it switches between modes throughout the day. Great piece of equipment. I've experimented with several different schedules. The one that I'm currently following is listed below, I don't think you can really go wrong with any schedule you use, really just a matter of what gives you the flow pattern you like without pushing water out of the tank or blowing your gravel all over.

I run a 3 hour Nutrient Transport from 1pm to 4pm at 80%

I run a 2nd 3 hour Nutrient Transport from 9pm to 12:00am at 80%

I run a 10 minute Constant cycle from12pm to 12:10pm at 100%

I run a 10 minute Constant cycle from 8pm to 8:10pm at 100%

The rest of the day it's running on Reef Crest at 80%

My thought process is that the 3 hour Nutrient Transports help to lift detritus from the sand bed and get it down to the sump. The 10 minutes of constant at 100% really creates a ton of flow which actually moves my gravel a bit. I started this to help with a Cyano issue and have not stopped doing it. The Reef Crest seems to be the most popular mode, I'm contemplating swapping the schedule around where most of the day would be NTM and with the shorter Reef Crest cycles. Again, no right or wrong on the schedule, just a matter of what you like.

I can't help but check out your thread, when I see you post something lol. Just dropping by to say hello and thanks for all the great ideas and details of an awesome build. Oh ya also thanks for the link on RC, that tank build was nice & kept me busy reading for a while.

Over the next few months I'm going to be doing a new build (50g Neo Storm) I have some great motivation for a sleek equipment panel thank you Sir. Im also tossing around the idea of plumbing into my house waste, and putting my basement to use for water storage/changes. Ideally I'd like to go almost completely automated water changes. We will see what the lil lady lets me get away with lol :)

I can't help but check out your thread, when I see you post something lol. Just dropping by to say hello and thanks for all the great ideas and details of an awesome build. Oh ya also thanks for the link on RC, that tank build was nice & kept me busy reading for a while.

Over the next few months I'm going to be doing a new build (50g Neo Storm) I have some great motivation for a sleek equipment panel thank you Sir. Im also tossing around the idea of plumbing into my house waste, and putting my basement to use for water storage/changes. Ideally I'd like to go almost completely automated water changes. We will see what the lil lady lets me get away with lol :)

floppybass - Thanks for all of your kind words here. I'm sure glad that my work has provided you with some good ideas and inspiration for your tank. I had never heard of the Neo Storm so I just spent a few minutes watching a couple videos of the tank. That is a pretty cool idea, I'm wondering if you can get enough flow to have SPS in that tank without also adding some vortechs. Best of luck with your build, I look forward to seeing it here on NR or RC.

saltwatercoral
saltwatercoral - I bought the WXM module that goes with my Apex Controller. This allows me to program multiple settings and it switches between modes throughout the day. Great piece of equipment. I've experimented with several different schedules. The one that I'm currently following is listed below, I don't think you can really go wrong with any schedule you use, really just a matter of what gives you the flow pattern you like without pushing water out of the tank or blowing your gravel all over.

I run a 3 hour Nutrient Transport from 1pm to 4pm at 80%

I run a 2nd 3 hour Nutrient Transport from 9pm to 12:00am at 80%

I run a 10 minute Constant cycle from12pm to 12:10pm at 100%

I run a 10 minute Constant cycle from 8pm to 8:10pm at 100%

The rest of the day it's running on Reef Crest at 80%

My thought process is that the 3 hour Nutrient Transports help to lift detritus from the sand bed and get it down to the sump. The 10 minutes of constant at 100% really creates a ton of flow which actually moves my gravel a bit. I started this to help with a Cyano issue and have not stopped doing it. The Reef Crest seems to be the most popular mode, I'm contemplating swapping the schedule around where most of the day would be NTM and with the shorter Reef Crest cycles. Again, no right or wrong on the schedule, just a matter of what you like.

Wow, I dont think I will be going into all of that but thanks for the good info! Im just waiting on my new MP40wEs to arive since mine broke after 1 day of use...

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo...I'm going to steal your equipment and maintenance panel ideas lol. Everything you do is so clean and precise, are you a serial killer like Dexter? Haha jk. Amazing work ubanek - everything you have done is beyond well thought out and executed.

This is the first thread in a long time I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading. Your attention to detail is extrordinary and inspirational. This is truely a magnificent tank already and will surely grow even more impressive in time. You have given every reader much to think about and resparked a since of planning that everyone should heed.

This is the first thread in a long time I THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading. Your attention to detail is extrordinary and inspirational. This is truely a magnificent tank already and will surely grow even more impressive in time. You have given every reader much to think about and resparked a since of planning that everyone should heed.

For sure a major inspiration for my build as well.

Viewpoints - 3/23/12 Responses to Feedback

Wow, I dont think I will be going into all of that but thanks for the good info! Im just waiting on my new MP40wEs to arive since mine broke after 1 day of use...

saltwatercoral - I hope you've settled into a good regiment with your MP40s. I just recently did away with my constant cycles. I'm now just running in Reef Crest most of the day and then two Nutrient Transport Cycles at varying times during the day.

I am redoing my tank thread in kinda the same layout as yours. Thanks for the idea :)

animalmaster6 - Great to hear, looking forward to checking out the journal with the new formatting. You are welcome on the idea.

Any updates?

Criley7 - I am overdue for an update. I've been battling cyano for the past 3-4 weeks so I have not felt the urge to take any photos. I just switched to ROX carbon and the BRS GFO so I'm hoping that this will make the difference in nutrients and rid the tank of my cyano. Either way, I will get a couple new photos up in the next few days.

Sooo...I'm going to steal your equipment and maintenance panel ideas lol. Everything you do is so clean and precise, are you a serial killer like Dexter? Haha jk. Amazing work ubanek - everything you have done is beyond well thought out and executed.

Deckoz2302 - Thanks so much for the compliment and I'm glad to hear that you've decided to do an equipment panel. I actually just recently redid my equipment panel and moved the equipment outside of the stand. I had one of my MH Ballast go out which I'm sure was due to lack of air flow. My new panel is even better with hinges that allows me to get to the back of the panel if needed. I'll post some photos soon.

Degener8 - Thanks so much for your kind words. It means a lot to me to know 1) someone has read the text vs. just looking at pictures and 2) that you've enjoyed what you read. Comments like this recharge me and the commitment I have to the tank.

For sure a major inspiration for my build as well.

twan - Thanks again, your many visits to the tank journal are appreciated.

I might have missed it, but which substrate do you use in your tank?

TMG - Thanks for the inquiry. The sand details are in the journal but I'll reiterate them here; I used the Special Grade Reef Sand made by CaribSea. I used the live version mainly because I did not want to have to rinse for days on end. I researched every sand out there when I was making my decision and I still love the Special Grade. Here is a link to the product website.

WOW, every time I stop by to read this thread I am amazed. Its not often you see someone pay as much attention to the thread detail as they do for the tank. I have picked up so many helpful tips along the way.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived