SaltCritters.com

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

Urb, how do you get your sandbed so nice and clean? It's one of the biggest annoyances for me right now. I know I've got a new tank (approaching 5 months), but it's something I really want to work towards.

Genj - I do a 15% water change every 2 weeks on my tank. I vacuum half of my sand bed with each water change so the entire sand bed is getting vacuumed once a month. I'm always surprised how much filth I pull out of the gravel even after just 4 weeks of vacuuming that same section. While I believe this maintenance is the key to the clean sand, the other things that contribute to my sand bed are Hermit Crabs (about 15), Nitrile Snails (about 10) and Tiger Conches (2).

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to increase the rate at which I vacuum my sand. I'm not doing it as much. My only problem that I am having is the fact that I use very lightweight aragonite, which I can't seem to get to not come with the vacuum. I need to find some other scheme to get it clean without pulling half the bed with it.

The conches are a fantastic addition - wonderful to observe.

Interesting to see you're dosing kalk in addition to the BRS supplements. I run the BRS 2 part myself and always find PH low - 7.85-7.95, keeping alk at around 8 dkh. Since dosing kalk, have you noticed an increase in PH? Was the decision to dose Kalk purely because of the high 2 part consumption?

Beautiful tank as always - I'm always watching for updates.

The conches are a fantastic addition - wonderful to observe.

Interesting to see you're dosing kalk in addition to the BRS supplements. I run the BRS 2 part myself and always find PH low - 7.85-7.95, keeping alk at around 8 dkh. Since dosing kalk, have you noticed an increase in PH? Was the decision to dose Kalk purely because of the high 2 part consumption?

Beautiful tank as always - I'm always watching for updates.

uglyfish - The main reason for adding kalk was to decrease my two part usage however the increase in pH was definitely a bonus. My pH use to range 7.9 to 8.1 before Kalk and is now between 8.2 to 8.4. I actually use my morning pH value to determine if my Kalk reactor needs more Kalk added. When I start to notice my morning pH less than 8.2 for a day or so, I add more Kalk.

If you are thinking about going to Kalk, I would recommend the TLF Kalk Reactor. I read a lot of negative things about it before I purchased but I have not had any issues with it. Very simple to setup and use.

• 3 weeks later...

what an amazing build. very clean and very well thought of. i love how handy you are, too!

out of curiosity. why dont you have any filter sock or foam or whatever main mechanical filtration?

do you worry of nitrates?

• 1 month later...

Urbaneks - This is a wonderful build. The thought and detail that you have put into it is truly inspiring. I will most certainly be using a few of your idea's when I get an opportunity to start up my Starphire 62G (40x18x20) I purchased just recently. Thanks for sharing this journal with us.

• 1 month later...

I just found this build and this tank is absolutely amazing! I will be definitely be using some of your ideas while I continue to set up my 40B! Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...
No posts since July. Your fanclub desires updates ;)

This. I need an update. Lost my tank, so I'm living through you right now. :lol:

Love this setup.

I think he was having a problem with cyano. Maybe the reason for the lack of recent pics?

No one cares dude! We r here to help. That is if I'm right. Otherwise just post some pics! ;)

November 19th, 2012 - Responses to Feedback

what an amazing build. very clean and very well thought of. i love how handy you are, too!

out of curiosity. why dont you have any filter sock or foam or whatever main mechanical filtration?

do you worry of nitrates?

gotfish? - Thank you very much for your view and comments. I've used both a filter sock and sponges in the past but have found that the extra maintenance does not justify having them. The detrius has a tendancy to collect in the bottom of my sump which makes it nice for vacuuming out once every 2 weeks.

Urbaneks - This is a wonderful build. The thought and detail that you have put into it is truly inspiring. I will most certainly be using a few of your idea's when I get an opportunity to start up my Starphire 62G (40x18x20) I purchased just recently. Thanks for sharing this journal with us.

JDigital - Thanks for checking out my journal. You made a nice choice in the Starphire 62G. Best of luck with your build, feel free to PM if you have any specific questions on the build.

I just found this build and this tank is absolutely amazing! I will be definitely be using some of your ideas while I continue to set up my 40B! Keep up the good work!

kveekx - Thanks for checking out the journal and taking time to comment. As noted above, if you have questions about any of the build please feel free to send me a PM.

No posts since July. Your fanclub desires updates ;)

rb1685 - I know, I'm really overdue on an update. I took some pictures last night, I will get them posted soon. I like to go a good month or two between photos so you can really see the growth changes.

This. I need an update. Lost my tank, so I'm living through you right now. :lol:

Love this setup.

Telekinesis - Very sorry to hear about your tank. You need to get planning on the next one or get the other back up and running. Update will follow shortly.

I think he was having a problem with cyano. Maybe the reason for the lack of recent pics?

No one cares dude! We r here to help. That is if I'm right. Otherwise just post some pics! ;)

pschom - No, no, no, it's not cyano getting in the way, it's called life! Lots going on and over time, I've learned that with the little extra time I have it's best spent on the tank vs. on the computer. In addition, too many updates and you can't really see the changes in the tank. Pics will follow shortly. BTW - Cyano long gone!

Just found this thread! Your tank is absolutely amazing, btw..

Isteallunch$$$ - Thanks for the view and comment!

Asking a lot here but do you or have you ever kept a top on this tank? Also do you mind listing your fish? Thanks! Beautiful tank

heifinator - I have never had a top on this tank. As for fish, I have the following list; I have lost a few jumpers but nothing in the last year. (Should not have typed that, a fish probably just jumped out)

- Blue Tang

- Chevron Tang

- Melenarus Wrasse

- LeMark Angel (2)

- Bartletts Anthias (2)

- Percula Clowns (2)

- Black Cap Basslett

- Yellow Watchman Goby

- Green Chromis (5)

November 19th, 2012 - Photo and Tank Update

As may have pointed out, I'm long overdue for some new photos. I typically think that every 2-3 months is a good frequency to photograph the tank however the 5 months that it's been just isn't acceptable. While the tank journal has been neglected the tank has not.

I've spent the last 5 months experimenting with different dosing schedules for coral foods, aminos, vitamins, etc, etc. All the while the things that have not changed have been my maintenance schedule and Cal/Alk/Mag dosing. I wish I could tell you that I've discovered some secret mixture that has maximized color but I just can't. In the end I think I've convinced myself that stable Cal/Alk/Mag along with 0 Nitrates and Phosphates is all that really matters. My color doesn't look different enough after a month of heavy dosing than after a month of zero dosing to really justify supplements. With all of that said, I'm still on the pursuit of that perfect blend that provides maximized coloration.

MintBerryCrunch.jpg

Not sure of the real name of this coral but Mint Berry Crunch is what a friend of mine called it when we exchanged some frags. This is a coral I've had in the tank since the early days. Love the color, especially when viewing top down.

For those of you that have read the entire journal you've heard me reference the center trench which from the beginning has been a focus of mine. The aquascape of my aquarium has remained unchanged since the initial setup. The photos below show the original scape as well as what the center trench has become over the last 1.5 years. True to the original vision, it has become a center piece for the aquarium as well as a safe haven for most of the fish.

RockScape4.jpg

One of the first photos taken of the tank, a seamless center trench has been a design goal from the beginning.

Trench-1.jpg

A photo taken of the center trench 1.5 years into the evolution of the tank. While it's still not perfect, it's come along way since I first laid out the aquascape.

In addition to experimenting with supplements, I've also added several new corals since my last update. While some additions have taken off, other are taking their sweet time to color up and begin strong growth. Of all my new additions, one is quickly becoming a favorite. I don't know the name of the coral, but it has had amazing color and growth since the day it went in the tank. The photo below shows a small frag that I cut off and mounted on the opposite side of the tank from the original piece that I purchased.

Tierra.jpg

One of my newest and quickly becoming a favorite.

The only fish that has been added to the tank in the last year is the Black Cap Basslet. After putting him in the tank, I did not see if for the first 8 weeks. I was sure he did not make the transition or was killed by my Melanuras Wrasse. Then out of the blue one day he decided it was safe to come out. He's still pretty secretive but can always be found near his favorite rock overhang. He's been a great addition to the reef.

BlackCap.jpg

Willy - The Black Cap Basslet

saltwatercoral

Glad to see everything is going good and your back up and posting again! I was wondering what was going on and now with the before and after pics I can see worlds difference! Looks awesome as always with your setup!

November 20, 2012 - Responses to Feedback

Stunning :o

FTS?

rb1685 - Glad you liked that photo, I find it hard to shoot good photos of FTS and cross sections of the tank. This one photo is one of the better one's that I've taken.

Yes yes yes, FTS!!!

googoomas - Thank you! FTS on it's way.

+1 Glad your back. Life's not that important. Your fans await your viewpoints! :D

pschom - Thanks for hospitality.

Glad you're back!

Looking forward to seeing a new FTS.

:D

Asureef - FTS on it's way

Lovely as usual, glad you're back to do an update!! Thank you! :happy:

IIX - Thanks for the kind words.

Glad to see everything is going good and your back up and posting again! I was wondering what was going on and now with the before and after pics I can see worlds difference! Looks awesome as always with your setup!

saltwatercoral - Thanks for taking a look and commenting. I've been known to take breaks from the forum but never from the tank.

Several folks have asked for the FTS so here you go. Personally, I'm not real pleased with this FTS as the excess light from the MH's washes out some of the color. In addition the angle doesn't do the aqua scape any favors. Of the 5 FTS I took this was the best I could manage. If nothing else, it does show how much the tank has changed.

November2012FTS.jpg

FTS - November of 2012

With the FTS out of the way, I can now get back to showing you some additional macro shots of my corals. Personally, when I view my aquarium, I like to view at the macro level, looking for small changes in growth, color polyp extension, etc. Below is a photo of an ORA Montipora Spongodes, lots of people mistake this coral as a Digitata but it's actually in the Montipora family.

Spongedes.jpg

A closer look at macro level shows an array of color, interesting growth form and healthy polyps

Another shot of the ORA Spongodes, this coral has really taken off in the past 3-4 weeks which times up with the feeding of Reef Roids. I bought the product a long time ago but did not use it regularly. Recently I started using it once a week and this coral in particular seemed to really respond to it. The green in this coral went from an army green to a nuclear green over the last few weeks.

Spongedes2.jpg

ORA Spongodes - A second photo of this coral shows the interesting growth form that it's taking on

I recently treated the tank for Red Bugs and the treatment made an immediate difference in my smooth skin acros like the Echinata shown below. I held off on the treatment for several months because of the availability of Interceptor as well as the thought of losing my Pistol Shrimp. I'm very happy to report that my shrimp made it through the treatment and my corals are better off. With the treatment behind me, I will be taking extra effort in the future to ensure I don't introduce the Red Bugs ever again. All future corals will get a 6 hour Interceptor dip prior to going into the aquarium.

Echinata.jpg

I love this photo - The background really accents the coral.

Love the new FTS and your SPS growth is amazing! Thank you for putting out your time and keep us updated! We all are a big fans of your tank and your presentation demos.

Archived