Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

I love your attention to detail. Thank you for the links and info!

Your thread has been a great wealth of knowledge, help, and an inspiration. I can't wait to get my 100G Artisan started!

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like you have done your homework! Post some pics when you get it! I can't wait to see how this looks!

saltwatercoral - As far as homework, I did read several reviews and everything I could find on the Bubble Magus said it was reliable, easy to program. Now that I've set it up, you can add me to the list. Very simple to operate. Very pleased to this point. As for the pictures you requested, see above.

Good work as usual!

twan - Many thanks!

I love your attention to detail. Thank you for the links and info!

Your thread has been a great wealth of knowledge, help, and an inspiration. I can't wait to get my 100G Artisan started!

LouDog - I'm glad to hear that my journal is getting used as a reference. That is what I hope for. Thanks for the views and comments. If you have questions during your build just send me a PM.

Viewpoints - February 2nd Photo Update

In order to kick February off, here are a few new photos of the tank.

Hawkins.jpg

ORA Hawkins - I've seen several different versions of this coral ranging from green to blue, mine is more on the blue side with purple tips. I've taken lots of photos of this coral but none that are great. This is the best so far.

Chalice.jpg

This is a blue chalice from ORA that dates back to the Nano Cube. It seems very happy in the new tank and is growing steadily. What I like more than it's growth is the contorted shape that it's taking on.

Star.jpg

One more picture for today. I really do love what the inverts add to the tank. I will definitely add some additional starfish in the future.

Amazing build. I'm inspired to clean up the inside of my stand now. :)

Where did you get the 1.5 L storage canisters? Bubble Magus has some that they sell for $30 each??? Geez.

Nice star. Do they have any special diet needs and or does this

preclude you from certain kinds of fish that may nip at it?

twan - No special diet for the starfish. They simply eat film off of the rocks. All of my fish are indifferent to the starfish. I would think that if a Melunaris Wrasse leaves him alone most fish would. I believe that Clown Shrimp eat starfish but I don't want one anyway. Thanks for checking out the update.

all i can say is wow. this is an A+ build. every single thing is top knotch! great job!

BLINDSIDE - Thanks for the A+ grade on the build. I appreciate your views and kind words.

Amazing build. I'm inspired to clean up the inside of my stand now. :)

Where did you get the 1.5 L storage canisters? Bubble Magus has some that they sell for $30 each??? Geez.

Chris George - Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad that you are inspired to tidy up under your stand. I added a recent picture so you can see a full size shot of what the stand looks like. The shelving on the doors was something I added for less than $10 and gives me a bunch more storage. As for the canisters, I got them from BRS and they are the Bubble Magus canisters. I went ahead and paid the premium because I'm so space constrained and they matched my sump.

Stand.jpg

FSS - Full Stand Shot - This was taken a few days ago before the dosing equipment went in. Now the empty space between the equipment panel and the sump has been used.

saltwatercoral
twan - No special diet for the starfish. They simply eat film off of the rocks. All of my fish are indifferent to the starfish. I would think that if a Melunaris Wrasse leaves him alone most fish would. I believe that Clown Shrimp eat starfish but I don't want one anyway. Thanks for checking out the update.

BLINDSIDE - Thanks for the A+ grade on the build. I appreciate your views and kind words.

Chris George - Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad that you are inspired to tidy up under your stand. I added a recent picture so you can see a full size shot of what the stand looks like. The shelving on the doors was something I added for less than $10 and gives me a bunch more storage. As for the canisters, I got them from BRS and they are the Bubble Magus canisters. I went ahead and paid the premium because I'm so space constrained and they matched my sump.

Stand.jpg

FSS - Full Stand Shot - This was taken a few days ago before the dosing equipment went in. Now the empty space between the equipment panel and the sump has been used.

:o:bowdown:omgomgomg Its not just a stand... Its a piece of ART!

Clean!

Criley7 - Thanks!

:o:bowdown:omgomgomg Its not just a stand... Its a piece of ART!

saltwatercoral - Never thought of it that way but certainly appreciate the compliment.

Viewpoints - 2/3/12 Photo Update

The tank journal has spilled over to a 9th page which needs some photos. Here are a couple that were taken this week.

OregonTort.jpg

Oregon Tort - One of my favorites! Beautiful blues and greens and always has great polyp extension.

Cap.jpg

X-Factor Cap - Sticking with the blue and green theme from the Oregon Tort, here is a shot of my X-Factor Cap. I got this frag from a a friend of mine who lives close by. It's growing quickly, but then again it's a cap. I love how you can see a couple lonely polyps out on the rim.

PurpleStuff.jpg

Purple Stuff - I got this piece from the same friend noted on the X-Factor. I don't think the name is official but it's what he called it so I'm going with it. This coral is difficult to photograph, this is about the best shot I can get of it. This coral will eventually table and also has great PE all the time. You can see at the base that it's really starting to encrust.

I have been trying to understand what you dose by looking at your maintenance schedule. Can you provide a little more detail about your dosing? Ie. What has been your experience with microbacter, lugols, etc... Which Iodine testing kit do you prefer? Which salt mix do you use?

Also, which MH bulbs do you prefer?

Like!

IIX - Thanks!

I love the starfish!

Do you worry about it nipping on corals at all?

animalmaster6 - There are starfish that are not reef safe so be careful. The one that I have is called a Red Sea Star (Fromia Milleporella). The Linkia's are also colorful and reef safe. Knowing this, I'm not worried about them eating any coral.

I like the X-Factor Cap but have never had one.

What kinda premium in cost does it command over the red/purp/green standard variety?

twan - I would say that if a 2" frag of orange cap is $20 that the X-Factor would cost you $30. The way this one is growing, I will have a frag for you in a month or so.

I have been trying to understand what you dose by looking at your maintenance schedule. Can you provide a little more detail about your dosing? Ie. What has been your experience with microbacter, lugols, etc... Which Iodine testing kit do you prefer? Which salt mix do you use?

Also, which MH bulbs do you prefer?

FishTacos - Up until this week, I had been using Bio Cal for my Cal and Alk and then doing separate Cal/Alk/Mag adjustments if they were needed. I am now using Recipe 1 Two Part and dosing it through a Bubble Magus dosing pump.

I also add the Trace Elements made by Tropic Marin which is listed in the maintenance schedule as Pro Coral A and K.

I dose 2 drops of Lugols a day which is well below the recommended dose, this regiment came from something I read months ago and have just continued with it.

I use the MB7 to help with the control of Phos/Nitrates, I dose per the instructions on the bottle but break the doses into 2 over the course of the week instead of daily. I'm considering running an experiment where I don't use it for a month and see what/if there are any effects.

My MH bulbs are DE 250 watt bulbs made by EVC. They are 20K bulbs. These are the only bulbs I've used so I can't really give you a comparison vs. other bulbs. I'm happy with the bulbs and will continue to use them. You can find them at Tampa Bay Aquatics.

FishTacos - Up until this week, I had been using Bio Cal for my Cal and Alk and then doing separate Cal/Alk/Mag adjustments if they were needed. I am now using Recipe 1 Two Part and dosing it through a Bubble Magus dosing pump.

I also add the Trace Elements made by Tropic Marin which is listed in the maintenance schedule as Pro Coral A and K.

I dose 2 drops of Lugols a day which is well below the recommended dose, this regiment came from something I read months ago and have just continued with it.

I use the MB7 to help with the control of Phos/Nitrates, I dose per the instructions on the bottle but break the doses into 2 over the course of the week instead of daily. I'm considering running an experiment where I don't use it for a month and see what/if there are any effects.

My MH bulbs are DE 250 watt bulbs made by EVC. They are 20K bulbs. These are the only bulbs I've used so I can't really give you a comparison vs. other bulbs. I'm happy with the bulbs and will continue to use them. You can find them at Tampa Bay Aquatics.

Thanks. I am using a phonex 14k bulb. I think i will switch to the EVC 20K to see if it helps with my colors. Also, appreciate the clarification of dosing, I may mimic you and begin dosing lugols, trace elements, and MB7. You're obviously having great success!

Thanks. I am using a phonex 14k bulb. I think i will switch to the EVC 20K to see if it helps with my colors. Also, appreciate the clarification of dosing, I may mimic you and begin dosing lugols, trace elements, and MB7. You're obviously having great success!

FishTacos - You are more than welcome. Always willing to share techniques. If you are not dosing two part through a dosing pump, I would start ASAP. It's been the best thing I've done for my tank and I would include the purchase of my Bubble King in that statement. Having Cal and Alk pumped into the tank in small amounts every hour just keeps everything so stable. Thanks again for your views, comments and questions.

urbaneks; what if anything did you use between the tank bottom and stand top?

twan - I used presentation board from Staples or Office Depot. It's about 1/8th of an inch thick and comes in multiple colors. I used black so it matches the stand and silicon. This is also what Cad Lights recommended.

I saw some of that the other day and thought about it. There was a thin layer of foam between 2 poster board type sheets. The sheets that sandwiched the foam though seemed slick. I know the tank is heavy and not prone to slide but I thought I'd want a more grippy surface. Unless the stuff I saw is not the stuff you used. Some use home type insilation as well but I wont cause it will be exposed on my stand.

Research shows I maybe able to use a yoga mat or neopren.

Looking for something like this in white I guess:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/429360/A...ubber_Strip?s=1

726348_300.jpg

I follow your thread on RC too.... Beautiful system!!

I admire your use of the space under your stand in an organized manor. I too keep all of my dosing equipment, sump, controllers, ballasts, reactors ect under/behind my stand and it's a challenge! People with dedicated aquarium rooms for all that junk are lucky.

Thanks for sharing your reef with us

I saw some of that the other day and thought about it. There was a thin layer of foam between 2 poster board type sheets. The sheets that sandwiched the foam though seemed slick. I know the tank is heavy and not prone to slide but I thought I'd want a more grippy surface. Unless the stuff I saw is not the stuff you used. Some use home type insilation as well but I wont cause it will be exposed on my stand.

Research shows I maybe able to use a yoga mat or neopren.

twan - I think your yoga mat idea is a fine one as well. I like the presentation board because it's much thinner and you can't even tell it's there between the glass and the stand. As for the board being slick, this is not a concern you should have, the tank will not slide once you get rock and water in it.

I follow your thread on RC too.... Beautiful system!!

I admire your use of the space under your stand in an organized manor. I too keep all of my dosing equipment, sump, controllers, ballasts, reactors ect under/behind my stand and it's a challenge! People with dedicated aquarium rooms for all that junk are lucky.

Thanks for sharing your reef with us

Chyendra - Thanks so much for following along with my tank both here and RC. For the longest time, I did not have my reef here on NR since it's not a Nano. I missed the smaller community of people here so I went ahead and added my reef here. I'm glad that I did.

Agree on your fish room comment. I wish, I had some additional room. There are so many other things that I'd like to do in terms of automating water changes, mixing water and ATO but just can't due to the space constraint. I guess those will be things to consider if I ever do another tank.

Again, thanks for your kind words on my tank.

Viewpoints - 2/5/12 Photo Update

Stand.jpg

This is a picture that I took just before my dosing equipment was installed. That small space between the sump and the equipment panel is now full as well. I'm wishing that I had either a bigger stand or better yet a fish room.

Plana.jpg

Crayola Plana - I got this as a bonus frag when I placed a pretty large order from an online retailer. It's been a nice addition.

Lantana.jpg

ORA Lantana Cap - This has been a pretty slow grower for a cap but I do like the blue polyps.

1-31FTS.jpg

A FTS that I took from directly in front of the tank - Not the best photo but I'll post anyway.

Archived