SaltCritters.com

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

If he posts more pictures of this tank I might have to upgrade. I can't decide if I want more pictures or not now! :lol: Although perhaps I could show my wife and then get an upgrade that way...

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
polarblair2000

Viewpoints - February 1st, 2013 - Video Update

I just recently added two purple Gorgonians to the tank. This video is a mix of shots before and after the addition of the new Gorgonians. Be sure to set your video play back to HD for the best playback.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to any constructive comments you might have.

Looks awesome! The corals are really growing in.

Can you tell us more about the Gorgonains you added? Are they photosynthetic and if so what species are they if you know and if you are caring for them in any specific way.

Oh yes we need more pictures too :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just read through your whole thread the last 2 evenings. Everything from the design through the implementation to the final tank is fantastic. The photos are excellent. I like your revised aquascape with the wider trench.

A quick question - do your conches bother the other snails? I had a conch once (not sure which type) and it was eating my other snails! These Tiger Conches look great!

Keep up the good work!

fretfreak13

I've been following your thread since the beginning and I never thought to ask you until now! I'm setting up an 80g and was having flow issues. People were telling me MP10s would have two little flow and MP40s would blow my sand around like crazy! Your tank is what I aspire mine to be. Please tell me, what kind of sand is that?! It seems to not be affected by your MP40s! Also, how strong do you have them running? My tank is only 2 inches shorter than yours, so hopefully I can replicated your beautiful clean sandbed. I've been sadly thinking I had to go barebottom. Please share your secrets!

jedimasterben

A quick question - do your conches bother the other snails? I had a conch once (not sure which type) and it was eating my other snails!

You had whelks, not conchs.

jedimasterben

Whelks get massive, as do some conchs. Also, I forgot about horse conchs, those are predatory, but I doubt you'd find them for sale in the hobby.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel so, sooo small :) Amazing tank, very well organized. Your aquarium will be a great inspiration for my next tank. The set up, the maintainece schedule, overal look... wow, very impressive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, OCD to the extreme. I really love how much thought you put in putting this one together. Stealing some ideas for an upgrade.

anyone know what happened to urbaneks? He hasn't been on since May.

He comes & goes. He'll pop up every six months with amazing photos and updates. Just be patient. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, very nice future setup/equipment, btw how did you keep the back of your nanocube so clean??? I mean your rocks and corals touches the back but yet there's no even a single speck of algae on the back of that tank, so how do you even scrub the back when those corals/rocks are leaned up against it?

TAke everything out once a month and scrub everything in a bucket with your tank water. scrub the live rock with a brush . Next you need to take a blade to every square inch of the tank. *former tank service man

BattleAthletics

There are some instances where coraline algea only seems to stay on rocks and not glass. My 8G cube has that, I have never seen any algea on it other than on the rocks.

Anyone know where I can get some foam pad like the one used for the maintenance organization board? Almost finished with building the extending sump shelf. :)

Anyone know where I can get some foam pad like the one used for the maintenance organization board? Almost finished with building the extending sump shelf. :)

I would try upholstery places or craft stores. Or you could get a piece of dense/high PPI # poret foam like what I used for my media reactor sponges on my build thread, but its kinda pricey.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

December 18th, 2013 - Responses to Feedback

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted yet, but I have been lurking far too long! urbaneks, your tank is amazing and has been inspiration for my new built :) I am looking forward to new photos :)

Many thanks for the kind words. New photos will be posted tonight.

I read the thread and now it has stopped I would like more!!!

Thanks for the comments. It's been a long time since I posted. Will get some pics up tonight.

If he posts more pictures of this tank I might have to upgrade. I can't decide if I want more pictures or not now! :lol: Although perhaps I could show my wife and then get an upgrade that way...

If pics of my tank help you get a new tank, I'd be happy to help. Let me know what you need.

Looks awesome! The corals are really growing in.

Can you tell us more about the Gorgonains you added? Are they photosynthetic and if so what species are they if you know and if you are caring for them in any specific way.

Oh yes we need more pictures too :)

Thanks for the kind words. The Gorgonians I have are all photosythetic so only need supplemental feeding. They are easy to keep, no extra work. You have to like the texture they provide because they are not that colorful.

I just read through your whole thread the last 2 evenings. Everything from the design through the implementation to the final tank is fantastic. The photos are excellent. I like your revised aquascape with the wider trench. A quick question - do your conches bother the other snails? I had a conch once (not sure which type) and it was eating my other snails! These Tiger Conches look great! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comment. The conches that I have keep to themselves. They don't have any means to kill or eat anything but algae and small particles.

I've been following your thread since the beginning and I never thought to ask you until now! I'm setting up an 80g and was having flow issues. People were telling me MP10s would have two little flow and MP40s would blow my sand around like crazy! Your tank is what I aspire mine to be. Please tell me, what kind of sand is that?! It seems to not be affected by your MP40s! Also, how strong do you have them running? My tank is only 2 inches shorter than yours, so hopefully I can replicated your beautiful clean sandbed. I've been sadly thinking I had to go barebottom. Please share your secrets!

Hope I'm not too late providing input to your new build. I would definitely go with MP40's. The sand I use is CarribSea Special Grade Reef Sand. I vacuum my sand bed with each water change in 1/3 intervals. Basically, by the end of the month, my entire sand bed gets vacuumed. In order to do this you need to make sure you have plenty of live rock so your tank is not dependent on the sand bed for nutrient control.

Any updates?

Update to follow the responses to feedback.

I feel so, sooo small :) Amazing tank, very well organized. Your aquarium will be a great inspiration for my next tank. The set up, the maintainece schedule, overal look... wow, very impressive!

Thanks for the feedback, it means a great deal to me.

haven't even made it half way through this thread and it's easily one of my favorite builds, ever.

Thanks so much!

Wow, OCD to the extreme. I really love how much thought you put in putting this one together. Stealing some ideas for an upgrade.

Yea, I've been accused and found guilty of being OCD. It doesn't hurt to be OCD in this hobby.

anyone know what happened to urbaneks? He hasn't been on since May.

Sorry that I've been MIA. The reef's been getting plenty of attention, just have not but any time into my journal or the site in general.

He comes & goes. He'll pop up every six months with amazing photos and updates. Just be patient. :)

I guess it was 7 months this time.

Patient is the key on waiting on urbaneks but he never disappoint us all. :)

That's a lot of pressure.

What bulb combo do you run for hqi and t5 it looks amazing

HQIs are 250 W XM's. T5s I run 1 KZ Fiji Purple, 1 KZ Super Blue, 1 KZ New Generation and ATI True Actinic

That's just mean! No tank crash, but I'm talking.

Any words from urbaneks

I'm alive and so is the tank. Photos coming shortly.

Archived