Innovative Marine Aquariums

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

xerophyte_nyc

Outstanding photography. :bowdown: To me, it's what takes your story to another level.

Are you relying on the Nutrimar Ova for your dragonet's nutrition, or does your tank have enough copepods for sustenance?

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewpoints - January 28th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

I am going to start keeping my back of my tank clean, just set it up last sunday after breaking it down, my whole back of my tank was pink from coraline. I think it looks way better when you keep it off as well just a cleaner look

I could not agree with you more. I know that lots of people like the coraline look but it is just to distracting for me and ends up taking aware from the beauty of the coral and fish. Keeping the back wall is easier than you might think as long as you structure your aqua scape so that you can clean the back wall with the magnet cleaner. When I clean my glass, I also also go over the back wall. I also keep my MP40s clean by giving them an hour long vinegar bath every 4-6 weeks. Once I start to see coraline forming, I pull them out one at a time and give them a good cleaning. It also keeps them running at tip top shape. Best of luck.

Lolol ok then I'm assuming you're not as young ahhaha. It's cool. :)

I'm really not old, just like to keep you guessing. And besides, how many reef years is equal to a human year?

Outstanding photography. :bowdown: To me, it's what takes your story to another level.

Are you relying on the Nutrimar Ova for your dragonet's nutrition, or does your tank have enough copepods for sustenance?

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'd like to say, I'm an expert photographer with great gear but it's just not true. I have an old DSLR (original canon rebel) and one of the cheaper canon lenses. For my macro shots I use an old extension ring which turns my lens into a poor mans macro lens.

As for the Mandarin, I have 80lbs of live rock so there is plenty of pods for her to eat. I make a point to feed her every other day and when I do so she does not miss that meal. As a matter of fact, every time I put the tank into feed mode and the MP40s idle, she swims up to her feeding spot. When it's a pellet day, she makes me feel guilty.

• Like 1

Viewpoints - January 28th, 2013 - A new journal page means new photos

The journal has rolled over to another page which means it needs a couple new photos. Here are a few of my current favorites. Thanks for looking, I look forward to your constructive feedback.

JanFTS2-1_zps8baae68f.jpg

Here is the current FTS for the end of January.

Trench-2_zpsfba55c63.jpg

Center Trench - Here is a current shot that shows the progression of the center trench. I've been kicking around the idea of a clam or two in the sandbed on the right side of the trench. Up to this point, I've kept the sand bed free of livestock. Will have to mill it over a bit longer.

Strawberry-1_zpsc4bf5b79.jpg

The red coral to the left is a Red Planet, the one with the blue tips is an Echinata and the white coral with the pink tips is an unknown Acro. I saw this at my LFS and really liked it. It's a coral you don't see often. I like it as is but I have very high hopes that the pink will intensify.

Digitata_zps1abc190e.jpg

LPS Row - I've slowly been adding a few LPS down low in the aquarium. In this photo you can see a Blastos up front a Duncan just on the other side of the Orange Digtata and you can just see the edge of my Pogada Cup on the left, this was the first coral I ever purchased. If you look at the photo of my nano on the first page you will see the coral in that photo.

Deleted User 4

Viewpoints - January 28th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

I could not agree with you more. I know that lots of people like the coraline look but it is just to distracting for me and ends up taking aware from the beauty of the coral and fish. Keeping the back wall is easier than you might think as long as you structure your aqua scape so that you can clean the back wall with the magnet cleaner. When I clean my glass, I also also go over the back wall. I also keep my MP40s clean by giving them an hour long vinegar bath every 4-6 weeks. Once I start to see coraline forming, I pull them out one at a time and give them a good cleaning. It also keeps them running at tip top shape. Best of luck.

I'm really not old, just like to keep you guessing. And besides, how many reef years is equal to a human year?

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'd like to say, I'm an expert photographer with great gear but it's just not true. I have an old DSLR (original canon rebel) and one of the cheaper canon lenses. For my macro shots I use an old extension ring which turns my lens into a poor mans macro lens.

As for the Mandarin, I have 80lbs of live rock so there is plenty of pods for her to eat. I make a point to feed her every other day and when I do so she does not miss that meal. As a matter of fact, every time I put the tank into feed mode and the MP40s idle, she swims up to her feeding spot. When it's a pellet day, she makes me feel guilty.

Lolol Ohh, thought you meant you had 16yrs of reef experience...and I figured you wouldn't have started that early...as most people don't haha.

I'm starting to think you're around the 30's? Hmm

• Like 1

Viewpoints - January 29th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Lolol Ohh, thought you meant you had 16yrs of reef experience...and I figured you wouldn't have started that early...as most people don't haha.

I'm starting to think you're around the 30's? Hmm

IIX - Good guess, you are on the right track.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread. If I don't I'm going to go out and spend way to much money on a new, larger tank.

Nooooo! Don't stop looking!

It's inevitable we all want bigger tanks the day after we get our current one setup. It's just a matter of how much can you satisfy the itch with your current setup.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Many thanks!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Many thanks!

I'm throwing in a few more, for good measure. Your tank is awe-inspiring, putting it lightly. I only hope to be able to mimic parts of it with my tank move and rebuild.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:D

Viewpoints - January 29th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

I'm throwing in a few more, for good measure. Your tank is awe-inspiring, putting it lightly. I only hope to be able to mimic parts of it with my tank move and rebuild.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:D

Thanks again!

Your build threads are so neat and detailed. The tank is nice too. :P

Thanks for noticing the detail in the build thread. I enjoy the process of documenting and photographing as well as reefing. Appreciate the like on the tank as well.

Wow, a huge difference from this fts to the fts before rescaping...

Amazing job.

Appreciate the kind words here. I'm much happier with the rescape as well. It really helped to open up the tank and provide extra swimming room and coral growing area.

• Like 2

I've been casually digging this thread for a while. You've done a masterful job putting this together as well as documenting the build. As jedi said, it's awe inspiring for sure. I applaud you! Congratulations on achieving what brought most of us to this hobby......the possibility to create a very life-like, natural build.

Viewpoints - January 30th - Zoa Garden

The LFS that I frequent specializes in SPS and Zoa's so when I would not buy any Zoa's the owner started giving me one and two head frags in an effort to get me hooked on them. After bringing the first couple freebies home my wife took note of the "little flowers". I still have yet to pay for a Zoa frag so the ones I do have are not the high end stuff. Never the less they are really growing in and forming a nice garden on the right side of the tank. Here are a couple shots. Thanks for looking.

zoa_zps18d934fd.jpg

zoa3_zpsb83c302b.jpg

zoa2_zpscb08435d.jpg

• Like 1

wow its been a really long time since i have checked out this reef. well done urbaneks

o and i know i missed it somewhere but what substrate did you go with?

thanks so much

jr

Viewpoints - January 30th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

I've been casually digging this thread for a while. You've done a masterful job putting this together as well as documenting the build. As jedi said, it's awe inspiring for sure. I applaud you! Congratulations on achieving what brought most of us to this hobby......the possibility to create a very life-like, natural build.

Thank you so much for this insightful comment. When I get a note like this it really validates the time put into the documentation and photography. The easy thing to do is sit back and admire your tank, it takes extra time to do the documentation piece. I often wonder if it's worth it, when I get a note like this it fuels me to press on. Thanks!

This tank is amazing! Love all the bells and whistles.

Thank you so much for the comment. Curious what bells and whistles you like the most?

wow its been a really long time since i have checked out this reef. well done urbaneks

o and i know i missed it somewhere but what substrate did you go with?

thanks so much

jr

Thank you for checking back in and looking the journal over again. I use Carib Sea, Seafloor Special Grade Reef Sand. You can get it dry or the live version. I went with the live version so that I did not have to go through the rinsing process.

Viewpoints - January 30th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Great looking pictures urbaneks! Those new FTS shots are incredible too, just so many different colored corals :happy:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. You know I've always admired your tank so getting a compliment means a lot.

Just the all around feel of it. But I really love the slide out sump and places to put all the tools.

Thanks for clarifying All of those are very easy additions, if you ever decide to do any of them on your tank and have questions, feel free to PM me here on NR.

Your build fuels my planning for a future upgrade. I'll be certain to document it but am doubtful it will be as well documented as yours.

Would love to see one of those shots from the bottom when you have your pumps turned off to get that sharp reflection of the tops of the corals on the water surface contrasting with the view of the bottoms/sides. I think that would look really sharp. (not that they aren't already)

Nice photos as per usual. :)

Waiting patiently. ;)

Tank looks great Urbanek

Viewpoints - January 31, 2013

Your build fuels my planning for a future upgrade. I'll be certain to document it but am doubtful it will be as well documented as yours.

Great to hear that you've gotten some ideas from my journal. If you have questions as your planning or building feel free to hit me up with a PM.

Waiting patiently. ;)

Tank looks great Urbanek

Oh yea. Forgot about that request. Next time I get the camera out. Thanks for the views and comments.

This is still one of my favorite tanks around. That first shot in post #464 is jaw dropping.

Many thanks for the kind words. It's funny people like different things. I considered not even including those Zoa shots and here you really liked them. You just never know.

Viewpoints - January 31st, 2013 - End of the Month Photo Update

Here are a couple more photos that I had taken the last time I had the camera out.

Reflections_zps3164419e.jpg

Here's another reflection shot. Not quite the perfectly still water on top but still a decent shot.

MBC_zpsf6d5d947.jpg

The encrusting Poker Star Montipora is starting to eat at the base of this acro. I'm hoping that the acro will fight back as I much prefer it over the Montipora.

prostrata_zpsba304fe2.jpg

Acropora Prostrata - Not the best photo of this coral. The base is much creamier in person which provides a great contrast to the pink polyps.

Chalice-2_zps3dba31cd.jpg

ORA Blue Chalice

Milli-1_zps0d173735.jpg

Millipora - Great starter SPS if anyone is thinking about adding some SPS

• Like 1

Holy crap dude - your tank is absolutely amazing. Your attention to detail is in inspiring. I love the wire management, slide out sump, tool holder.. tons of inspiration all in one thread!

Archived