Coral Vue Hydros

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BattleAthletics

December 2013 Update

I was lucky enough to coach my son's Little League All Star Team through a District and State Championship over the summer and we made it to the Western Regionals of the Little League World Series. We were fortunate enough to play on ESPN for 4 games. The journey started in June and we finished the first week of August. While it was a great experience for all of us involved, it meant something had to give. Baseball rolled into a new factory startup at work so again, the tank and the journal took a back seat to other priorities.

What was your sons team that made Regionals? Nogales National? Our local little league made it to the The LLWS (Universal LL/Texas West).

http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries/series/llbb/qualify/southwest.htm

http://www.littleleague.org/worldseries/teams/southwest.htm

First game they lost against NorthWest, then they lost to southeast. Then they beat australia in a consolation game I believe. I thought they had the kids to play against the best but once they allowed a couple of runs their motivation just went down, you could see it in their faces. Our city is a baseball city though, several championship appearances in 5A, 4A, 3A and a private school just won a couple of years ago.

Tank is amazing Urbaneks. How did you find a way to place all your corals in the right place?

December 20th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Dayummm, talk about growspert. :)

Thanks a bunch. The tank has definitely been growing a lot in the last 6 months. Often times I wondered if things were going to take off like I had seen in other tanks. I guess it does just take time.

I don't care how big this tank is. This has to be TOTM or TOTY!! :D:bowdown:

wow what a beautiful tank. This one of the best I have seen on this site.

That would be an honor! My old Nano Cube was TOTM here a long time ago. When I look back at that tank, I can't believe it made TOTM.

THIS.

Again, thanks for the vote of confidence.

What was your sons team that made Regionals? Nogales National? Our local little league made it to the The LLWS (Universal LL/Texas West).

First game they lost against NorthWest, then they lost to southeast. Then they beat australia in a consolation game I believe. I thought they had the kids to play against the best but once they allowed a couple of runs their motivation just went down, you could see it in their faces. Our city is a baseball city though, several championship appearances in 5A, 4A, 3A and a private school just won a couple of years ago.

Tank is amazing Urbaneks. How did you find a way to place all your corals in the right place?

As for baseball, we represented Arizona. We made it to Regionals which was played in San Bernardino. We made it to the semi finals but got knocked out by California. They went on to play Japan in the finals.

My son is playing in Winter Nationals next weekend (Travel Ball, not Little League) and there are two teams coming into town from Texas, once from El Paso and the other from Corpus Christi. I'm looking forward to playing some Texas teams. We compete quite a bit against California, Utah, Nevada and Colorado teams but not Texas. Should be good.

As for the tank, I appreciate the kind words. I would not say I have everything right in the right place I just try to picture how things will look down the road. Kind of like landscape design.

BattleAthletics

My son is playing in Winter Nationals next weekend (Travel Ball, not Little League) and there are two teams coming into town from Texas, once from El Paso and the other from Corpus Christi. I'm looking forward to playing some Texas teams. We compete quite a bit against California, Utah, Nevada and Colorado teams but not Texas. Should be good.

I agree it should be good. Let me know what team heads up there. When Universal won the SW tournament they really beat everyone with no problems other than one team, the LLWS on the other hand was like a totally different team. Our grocery store(H-E-B) donated about 20k to help with expenses. Perhaps next year will yield different results for Universal LL.

December 21st, 2013 - Photo Update (Progression Shots)

Here is a series of photos that shows the progression of the aquarium over the last 3 years. They often say nothing good happens fast in this hobby, I'm a firm believer in that statement.

FTSStraitAway_zps72ad8bb5.jpg

December 2013

JanFTS2-1_zps8baae68f.jpg

December 2012

FTS1.jpg

December 2011

RockScape2.jpg

May 2011

This second series of photos shows the progression of the Cali Tort coral over the same period of time. To me what makes the final shot even more impressive is you can 3 additional pieces of this same coral in other locations in the tank. This doesn't count the frags I've traded in over the last couple years.

CenterLandscape_zps98025910.jpg

December 2013 - Final shot with 3 other spots in the tank with the same coral

MidTankShot.jpg

December 2012 - Putting on some good growth

Trench1.jpg

July 2012 - Multiple Branches and Getting Taller

Trench.jpg

December 2011 - Frag plug encrusted, starting to get some branches

LandscapeTrench.jpg

July 2011 - Frag on a Plug

December 21, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Superbly done!

Love the tank Urbanek, it's growing in quite nicely.

Thanks so much. I think the recent progression shots do tell a decent story. Thanks for looking.

I agree it should be good. Let me know what team heads up there. When Universal won the SW tournament they really beat everyone with no problems other than one team, the LLWS on the other hand was like a totally different team. Our grocery store(H-E- B) donated about 20k to help with expenses. Perhaps next year will yield different results for Universal LL.

The names of the teams that are coming next weekend are the El Paso Dodgers and S3 Hustlers which are from Corpus Christi.

No one dislikes progression shots. Great stuff Urbaneks. :)

Thanks so much. It was nice to to be able to go back in the archives and pull out a few shots.

Awesome update

Thanks you!

BattleAthletics

The names of the teams that are coming next weekend are the El Paso Dodgers and S3 Hustlers which are from Corpus Christi.

Oh I think they're a better team than last year. Hope you give them hell! Keep me updated if you can. PM or on here.

http://www.gamechanger.io/t/fall-2013/s3-hustlers-5259fac3e1f61b559c000001/schedule

I assume they play your team once?

December 2013 - Reflection Photos

I took a series of photos that shows a few different angles looking upward towards the surface of the water. The first one is my favorite with the wide view of the aquarium and the contrasting colors. The second photo is kind of neat with the LeMark Angel looking down and the camera.

Reflection2_zpscaded92f.jpg

Reflection3_zps44769dd0.jpg

Reflection1_zpseb5ff12a.jpg

Love the progression shots, it gives hope to those of us just starting out that things do actually grow (just not when we stare at them for an hour, haha). Everything looks very healthy.

After 3 hours of reading and drooling, I am lost for words. This is definitely one of my most favorite builds. I felt like a kid going through a picture book, the next page being more glamorous than the other. I look up to your husbandry and knowledge. I think you are a great benefit to the community and to all that want to get into the hobby. There is much valuable information in this thread that, without a doubt, every person who viewed this thread left with something useful in mind. You are an inspiration my friend. Keep up with your excellence and we will follow.

Thanks again for your post on my build. It means a lot, especially from someone of your stature. My aquarium will surely benefit from your contribution. :)

December 23rd, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Love the progression shots, it gives hope to those of us just starting out that things do actually grow (just not when we stare at them for an hour, haha). Everything looks very healthy.

It's always nice to look back at some older photos to see how things have changed. There is a tank at one of the LFS here in town, every time I go into that store, I'm amazed at how much it's changed. That tank always makes me feel like my tank has issues or poor growth. What I'm starting to realize is that tanks hit a maturity point where growth is exponential compared to early in the tank's history. In other words, the bigger the corals get the more they seem to grow.

After 3 hours of reading and drooling, I am lost for words. This is definitely one of my most favorite builds. I felt like a kid going through a picture book, the next page being more glamorous than the other. I look up to your husbandry and knowledge. I think you are a great benefit to the community and to all that want to get into the hobby. There is much valuable information in this thread that, without a doubt, every person who viewed this thread left with something useful in mind. You are an inspiration my friend. Keep up with your excellence and we will follow.

Thanks again for your post on my build. It means a lot, especially from someone of your stature. My aquarium will surely benefit from your contribution. :)

I appreciate you taking time to actually read some of my journal. I enjoy the photography and documentation phase of the hobby almost as much as the hobby itself. It's always nice to hear when someone benefits from some of the information that has been provided. Another reefer recently asked me to do a summary of what I learned in 2013, I'm starting to get my thoughts together on that and will have something published here over the holidays. As for your build, I'm very anxious to see it mature, it's obvious you are doing things right from the get go with the equipment choices. I look forward to watching the progress. Again, thanks for taking the time to leave the nice comments and encouragement.

The pictures are stunning, I would not hesitate to purchase a coffee table book full of pictures of this tank.

Hmmm? Not a bad idea. Thanks for the view and comments.

No no no, Thank you :)

An information guid by yours truly urbaneks. Sounds like a great idea. Best of luck to you mate. Im looking forward to your future updates.

December 24th, 2013 - Coral Macro Shots

Here is a series of macro shots that I took over the last couple weeks. These were taken using extension tubes with a standard DSLR lens. For those of you looking to get macro shots on a budget, you should consider buying a set of extension tubes. For about $100 you can convert any DSLR lens into a macro lens. While the extension tubes have served me well over the past couple of years, I'm hoping to get a true macro lens shortly after Christmas.

Included with each photo is a short summary/story on each coral.

ORABlue_zpsde97ffe7.jpg

ORA Blue Chalice - This coral came from a LFS here in Arizona. I was always intrigued by this coral sine it grows/cups like a monti but has a soft appearance. The pastel blue coloration really draws me in. I was very excited the day I went to the LFS and they had a couple small frags. The original frag that I got dates back to the Nano Cube (about 3 years ago)

Setosa_zps6a5b0248.jpg

Setosa - I've only bought corals on line once which was right after I started this tank. In that order was the first piece of this Setosa. It took a very long time for this coral to take off with growth but now a days, it grows very fast. This is a very forgiving coral as well, I've put pieces in high/low lights and flows and it seems to adapt to all conditions.

CaliTort2_zpsd149f0ee.jpg

Oregon Tort - I posted this coral a few days back as a Cali Tort and someone said they thought it was an Oregon Tort. Looking back at my earlier documentation, it is actually an Oregon Tort. The original frag of this came in the same online order as the Setosa, this coral has bar far been my best growing coral.

Zoas_zps252b6757.jpg

Misc Zoas - These were purchased in a moment of weakness. At once point in time, I had the idea of getting a Zoa Garden in the lower part of my tank. I purchased 3-4 different zoas and they have since taken over an entire rock and over ran some SPS. I do love the way they look but regret having them vs. the space I could keep more SPS.

XFactorCap_zpsd46f4191.jpg

X-Factor Monti Cap - I bought this from a fellow reefer several years ago. That reefer ended up opening a LFS here in Arizona. I consider that person a good friend now a days. I end up trading coral in with him for food and other corals. It's always nice to take in frags of this coral knowing he was the source of the original piece.

BlueTips_zps60e5dd1d.jpg

Unknown Acro - I can't remember what this coral is called but it came out of the display tank of a LFS. The tips on this coral make the coral. Unfortunately, the tips quickly become part of the base and lose that deep blue.

Blastos_zps64f3ddf4.jpg

Blastos - I can't remember where this guy came from but it dates back to the Nano Cube as well. I'm not much of an LPS guys and I never spot feed so the growth on LPS is pretty poor. These guys have stood the test of time. I do really like the detail captured in the photo.

Grape_zps13f68998.jpg

Idaho Grape Monti Cap - This is also a frag that came from a display at a LFS. I'm very happy and proud to state that this coral looks way better in my tank than it does at the LFS. I'm not sure why but Montis do extremely well in my tank

Digitata_zps8b479894.jpg

Orange Digitata - Not a real special coral but I've always like the polyp detail on Digi's. The green ends on this coral quickly give way to a white base.

Cloves2_zps4f91d497.jpg

Clove Polyps - These were also bought in a moment of weakness. I originally bought these to create some movement and flow at the back of the center trench. It did not take long for the colony to migrate from the trench to the top of the rock on the right side of the tank. These like the zoas will have grown over the top of several SPS.

BirdsNest_zpsea38578f.jpg

Green Birdsnest - Not a whole lot special about a birdsnest except for one major detail. This was my first ever SPS. I was at a LFS when I had my nano and was asking about SPS care. The guy I was talking to suggested I try a piece of birdsnest and gave me a small frag. 5-6 years later, this coral is still with me and grows like crazy.

Once again, great shots! Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I learned a lot just by reading through your thread! And also thanks for stopping by my thread and your kind words! :)

Hot damn! Those are some spectacular shots with an awesome tank! Love that X-factor...I may have a piece of it also. I have something that is slowly greening up with blue polyps.

December 26th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Aww yeah some macro shots. :)

Thanks for the view/comment

Once again, great shots! Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I learned a lot just by reading through your thread! And also thanks for stopping by my thread and your kind words! :)

Many thanks.

Hot damn! Those are some spectacular shots with an awesome tank! Love that X-factor...I may have a piece of it also. I have something that is slowly greening up with blue polyps.

Green monti with blue polyps, I'm sure it's Xfactor. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the journal.

hey urbaneks, any reason why the t5's are turned off in your recent shots? is it only for pictures or did you decide they weren't necessary for the tank health? its looking beautiful btw.

Archived