Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Viewpoints - A Photographic Journal of my Reef Tank

urbaneks

I love the explanations and observations. This hobby needs more of these kinds of shared experiences. :)

January 15th, 2014 - Photo Update

I had a few photos in the photo bucket that had not been posted yet so I thought I would add them to the journal.

This first photo is of one of my two Barlett's Anthias. I originally purchase 3 of them, one male and two females. Shortly after I brought them home, one of the females jumped out of the tank. For what ever reason, the remaining female went male and the two fought for dominance. Now the one pictured remains in hiding underneath a Monti Cap and among the Zoas. As long as he stays in this spot, he does not get chased. As soon as he comes out the other one chases him back. I've considered adding more Anthias to see if it will reverse but I'm afraid it may do more harm than good.

Bartlett_zpsaf899928.jpg

Anthias in Hiding

Someone recently posted a thread here on NR about being ready for SPS and were looking for an easier to keep SPS. I strongly recommend that first timers try their hand at birdsnest. A green birdsnest that I still have to this day was my first SPS and has been a very productive grower for me. I added this pink birdsnest about a year ago. While it does not grow nearly as fast as the green, it's been a good hardy coral.

PinkBirdsNest_zps32a2bd87.jpg

Birdsnest - An good starter SPS

One of my bigger regrets in the aquarium is the addition of these Clove Polyps. While not my biggest, it ranks up there in the top 5. I originally added the cloves low in the aquarium towards the back of the center trench. It took them about 3 months to slow move like a snail from the position I put them in to the top of right island. While the corals themselves aren't aggressive with stinging, they will attach to about anything and then begin shading SPS. These have outgrown and smothered 3 pieces of SPS on me. Just in the last month, I've stared pulling out large chunks of it and trading it in at the LFS.

Cloves2_zps4f91d497.jpg

Clove Polyps - One of my bigger regrets

I'm not sure what kind of acro this is, I purchased it from the LFS as a Maricultured coral. What I find interesting about this coral and coral in general is how much lighting impacts their coloration. While cleaning the tank, I broke off about a 2" section of the coral (what you see in the photo). I ended up mounting it about 2" higher in the tank the original piece. The higher piece is this beautiful blue that you see while the other piece is more gray and green. You would not think that 2" of placement would make that much of a difference.

Unknown_zpsca548c63.jpg

Unknown Acro - Lighting difference with just 2" higher in the tank

Bah. I have started more new pages lately. Page quote. :)

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BattleAthletics

December 20th, 2013 - Response to Feedback

Thanks a bunch. The tank has definitely been growing a lot in the last 6 months. Often times I wondered if things were going to take off like I had seen in other tanks. I guess it does just take time.

That would be an honor! My old Nano Cube was TOTM here a long time ago. When I look back at that tank, I can't believe it made TOTM.

Again, thanks for the vote of confidence.

As for baseball, we represented Arizona. We made it to Regionals which was played in San Bernardino. We made it to the semi finals but got knocked out by California. They went on to play Japan in the finals.

My son is playing in Winter Nationals next weekend (Travel Ball, not Little League) and there are two teams coming into town from Texas, once from El Paso and the other from Corpus Christi. I'm looking forward to playing some Texas teams. We compete quite a bit against California, Utah, Nevada and Colorado teams but not Texas. Should be good.

As for the tank, I appreciate the kind words. I would not say I have everything right in the right place I just try to picture how things will look down the road. Kind of like landscape design.

How was winter nationals?

January 17th, 2014 - Response to Feedback

I love the explanations and observations. This hobby needs more of these kinds of shared experiences. :)

Bah. I have started more new pages lately. Page quote. :)

Appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the text as much as the photos. Thanks for the views and comments.

How was winter nationals?

Thanks for asking. We made it into the round of 8. We were hoping to get at least one more win and make the final 4. We did play and beat the S3 Hustlers there from Corpus Christi.

January 17th - Photo Update

Finding the Beauty in the Non Beautiful

While I'm as guilty as the next reefer at gawking over a $1500 Tigerpyge Hybrid Angelfish or a $700 Kiri Triggerfish, I'm just as intreaged by the $15 Scooter Blenny, $12 Sailfin Blenny and a $8 Conch. No matter how long these creatures are in my aquarium, I have to admit that I find them the most interesting. The expressions on their faces, their interaction with humans at the glass and their bizarre features makes these types of animals great additions to our aquariums.

Scooter2_zpsf5b08115.jpg

Scooter Blenny - Love the clarity in his eye

Scooter_zpsd6195f48.jpg

Scooter Blenny - Beautiful blue accents that are not readily visible when you first look at the fish

Blenny_zps0919624b.jpg

Sailfin Blenny - Love the fact you can see his pearly white teeth in the picture

Blenny_zpsa5aafb82.jpg

Walking on the fins - Just one of the many cool behaviors of the Sailfin Blenny

Conch_zpsceb373f1.jpg

Tiger Conch - Para scoping eyes and an elephant trunk put the Conch on the top of the bizarre list

January 20th, 2014 - Response to Feedback

Very cool shots i love the scooter blennies mouth

Thanks so much for checking out the journal and taking the time to comment.

January 21st, 2014 - Response to feedback

your tank has very good use of space and very beautiful!

Thanks for the feedback. On your space comment, I really like the tank better about 6 months ago. The extra growth has really made the tank a bit crowded. I'm starting to consider a rescape.

I love that you respond to everyones comments i almost feel like you compliment me more then i complimet your tank lol

I appreciate that you appreciate my comments back to everyone. I think it's the least I can do when people stop in to check out the tank.

Conches are awesome. Mine is definitely one of my favourite additions to the tank. A hermit was annoying it the other day and it engaged triple jump mode and made it across the tank in a few jumps. Was impressive. :lol:

January 21st, 2014 - Response to feedback

Thanks for the feedback. On your space comment, I really like the tank better about 6 months ago. The extra growth has really made the tank a bit crowded. I'm starting to consider a rescape.

It would look pretty sweet if you used even less rock and had more negative space. I think with your colonies and color it would be pretty dramatic.

January 21st, 2014 - Photo Update

Just had a few extra photos from the last time I had the camera out.

Spongades_zpsc6d0e429.jpg

Spongades - Just liked how this photo looked against the blue backdrop

Chromis2_zps8e5cbc18.jpg

The Chromis were hanging out next to each other and really stood out against the Birdsnest

Chromis_zpsa11cf628.jpg

3 of the 4 Chromis

Tenius_zpsa17661c6.jpg

Maricultured Piece - Unsure on the name

BirdsnestFramed_zpsd20fcf92.jpg

Birdsnest framed by the Tort - Thought it was a nice contrast

Great photos as always! May I ask... are you a professional photographer? Because not only you are very good at adjusting white balance, consistency of colors are also very good, and some angles you choose to take each photo are very creative as well!

don't rescape it. just frag those massive colonies and send them my way ;)

hah jk. i've always loved the look of jam packed tanks, but with that comes warfare. what ever you decided to do it'll look amazing.

January 22nd, 2014 - Response to Feedback

The maricultured is a basic blue/green tenius that has increased slightly more in imports.

Appreciate the coral ID.

don't rescape it. just frag those massive colonies and send them my way ;)

hah jk. i've always loved the look of jam packed tanks, but with that comes warfare. what ever you decided to do it'll look amazing.

Or.... buy a new tank!!!

Great photos as always! May I ask... are you a professional photographer? Because not only you are very good at adjusting white balance, consistency of colors are also very good, and some angles you choose to take each photo are very creative as well!

I am far from a professional photographer, I just have an old Canon Rebel. By old, I'm talking 10 years old now. I've been researching new DSLRs and I'm hoping to pull the trigger in the near future. As for the white balance, I have a pretty simple method, I simply shoot my pictures under my 20K MHs, then when I do the color balance I just chose 20K and I instantly have the correct white balance. I appreciate the dind words on the angles I shoot some of the photos at.

LOVE this tank!!!

Thanks so much!

It would look pretty sweet if you used even less rock and had more negative space. I think with your colonies and color it would be pretty dramatic.

Agree! Just need to get the courage to make the changes.

Conches are awesome. Mine is definitely one of my favourite additions to the tank. A hermit was annoying it the other day and it engaged triple jump mode and made it across the tank in a few jumps. Was impressive. :lol:

It is quite impressive at how fast they can move when they have to. Thanks for the view and comments.

NEW TANK.

A true reefer always has plans for the next tank! It will not happen anytime soon but I'm definitely in the early planning stages.

BattleAthletics

A true reefer always has plans for the next tank! It will not happen anytime soon but I'm definitely in the early planning stages.

Whats the dimensions of the tank? Equipment list and stocking list?

January 24, 2014 - Response to Feedback

Whats the dimensions of the tank? Equipment list and stocking list?

Equipment List

- Display Tank - 48x30x18, Rimless, Starfire Aquarium - Manufactured by Cad Lights
- Lighting – 48” Geisemann Infinity – 2x250Watt Metal Halides and 4x54Watt T5s
- Sump – 30x18x16 Acrylic Sump with a built in ATO Reservoir
- Skimmer – Bubble King Mini-180
- Heater – Finnex Digital 300 Watts
- Return Pump – Sicce Syncra 4.0 – Rated at 914 GPH
- Circulation Pumps – (2) Vortechs - MP40W ES with Battery Backup
- Controller – Neptune Systems Apex Controller
- Media Reactor - Two Little Fishes 150 x 2, one with GFO, one with ROX Carbon

Fish Stocking List

- Blue Tang
- Chevron Tang
- Blue Chromis (x4)
- Bartlett's Anthias (x2)
- Melanurus Wrasse
- Black Cap Basslet
- Sailfin Blenny
- Candy Stripped Hogfish
- Scooter Blenny
- Percula Clownfish (x2)
- LeMark Angels (x2)

Coral Stocking List

- Too many to list

You should do a nano,

I actually use to have a 28g Nano Cube, it was TOTM back in the day here on Nano Reef. I've kicked around the idea of plumbing in about an 8g tank to my existing sump. I'd do it today, if I had more room where my current tank sits.

January 24, 2014 - Response to Feedback

Equipment List

- Display Tank - 48x30x18, Rimless, Starfire Aquarium - Manufactured by Cad Lights

- Lighting – 48” Geisemann Infinity – 2x250Watt Metal Halides and 4x54Watt T5s

- Sump – 30x18x16 Acrylic Sump with a built in ATO Reservoir

- Skimmer – Bubble King Mini-180

- Heater – Finnex Digital 300 Watts

- Return Pump – Sicce Syncra 4.0 – Rated at 914 GPH

- Circulation Pumps – (2) Vortechs - MP40W ES with Battery Backup

- Controller – Neptune Systems Apex Controller

- Media Reactor - Two Little Fishes 150 x 2, one with GFO, one with ROX Carbon

Fish Stocking List

- Blue Tang

- Chevron Tang

- Blue Chromis (x4)

- Bartlett's Anthias (x2)

- Melanurus Wrasse

- Black Cap Basslet

- Sailfin Blenny

- Candy Stripped Hogfish

- Scooter Blenny

- Percula Clownfish (x2)

- LeMark Angels (x2)

Coral Stocking List

- Too many to list

I think Battle was asking about the new build in the planning stage.

January 24th, 2014 - Response to Feedback

I think Battle was asking about the new build in the planning stage.

Whoops, I guess I should have picked up on that.

I'm way early in the planning but my next tank will be in the neighborhood of 60x48x20 (~250 gallons) . The tank will sit on a tall (~40") stand. I'm thinking of a peninsula style tank where one of the 48" sides would marry up against a false wall that leads into an existing closet. That same 48" side will have a coast to coast overflow that leads to the sump/equipment which will be housed in a combination of the stand and closet. That's about as far as I've gotten.

Archived