Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

As temperature decreases, many electrodes/pH meters start to read higher pH rather than lower. For a pH at 7.0 at 25 degrees C, at 10 degrees C it will be 7.07 and at 60 degrees C it will be 6.96. If you move to a pH of 10 at 25 degrees C, at 10 degrees C it will read a pH of 10.18 and at 60 degrees C will read a pH of 9.75.

My guess is a combination of TS feeding less and an overall drop in the temperature of the tank/room/etc at night causes your pH to raise.

To that same effect, when is your fuge light on? Same time as the main tank or altered?

As temperature decreases, many electrodes/pH meters start to read higher pH rather than lower. For a pH at 7.0 at 25 degrees C, at 10 degrees C it will be 7.07 and at 60 degrees C it will be 6.96. If you move to a pH of 10 at 25 degrees C, at 10 degrees C it will read a pH of 10.18 and at 60 degrees C will read a pH of 9.75.

My guess is a combination of TS feeding less and an overall drop in the temperature of the tank/room/etc at night causes your pH to raise.

To that same effect, when is your fuge light on? Same time as the main tank or altered?

If her tank was 60C or her pH at 10, everything in her tank would be dead...

• Like 3

The fuge is on the opposite light cycle.

Right now it is 79.5F and pH is 8.01

In the last 7 days the tank recorded the lowest temperature (78.3F) at 4 am on June 2.

Science, chemistry, biology, physics, math is all greek to me, that's why I have you fine folks on here :flower:

But it seems to me that the pH right now should be lower than 8.01 considering the tank is running about 1.5 degrees warmer than normal.

jedimasterben

So what does that mean in English?

Moar food means moar waste, moar waste means moar bacterial activity, moar bacterial activity means moar oxygen used up, moar oxygen used up means moar lower pH.

:D

• Like 1

If her tank was 60C or her pH at 10, everything in her tank would be dead...

I know, I was just showing that temperature affects the way electrodes read pH. :P

The fuge is on the opposite light cycle.

In the last 7 days the tank recorded the lowest temperature (78.3F) at 4 am on June 2.

Science, chemistry, biology, physics, math is all greek to me, that's why I have you fine folks on here :flower:

But it seems to me that the pH right now should be lower than 8.01 considering the tank is running about 1.5 degrees warmer than normal.

79.5 F is 26.4 C. It's not that far off. Ben has it right in that more food = more waste = more bacterial activity = less oxygen = lower pH.

However, if your fuge light is on at night, the fuge macro is undergoing photosynthesis there, meaning it's giving oxygen back into the water. You have a break out of bryopsis in the fuge, correct? That may explain it - the bryopsis is undergoing photosynthesis and adding even more oxygen back into the system than the macro does normally. A pH of 8.01 is fine. Your tank can handle anywhere from 7.8 to 8.5. Don't worry about it.

Not worried about pH. Only curious why it reads higher at night when for most people it is lower. And the bryopsis is in the DT.

Ah, well then my hypothesis isn't correct!

Science, chemistry, biology, physics, math, tools, plumbing, electricity, and cable management is all greek to me, that's why I have you fine folks on here :flower:

Fixed that for ya ;)

• Like 3

You realize that more is spelt more and not moar right?

:closedeyes:

:P

you realize that cat is spelt cat and not kat right ?

booyah.jpg

• Like 5
jedimaster1138

Can I see a 24 hour pH plot?

EDIT - can you mark it with both refugium and DT lights on/off?

I'm nosey and curious and into pH stuff.

Hello.

Temp 78.7 pH 8.06

Fuge is on, DT is ramping up sunrise

Can I see a 24 hour pH plot?

EDIT - can you mark it with both refugium and DT lights on/off?

I'm nosey and curious and into pH stuff.

I'll try but it's a pin point monitor, not the Apex

• Like 1
Moar food means moar waste, moar waste means moar bacterial activity, moar bacterial activity means moar oxygen used up, moar oxygen used up means moar lower pH.

:D

The "jedimasterben" is famous for his Moar Roar!

• Like 1

:blush: thank you

Oversaturated the blue like the fancy coral vendors :lol:

I can't ever get rid of the frag rack, it's worse than bryopsis I tell ya. :lol:

And the frags on the frag racks start to make mini colonies of themselves. aiyayiyai

• Like 1

:blush: thank you

Oversaturated the blue like the fancy coral vendors :lol:

I can't ever get rid of the frag rack, it's worse than bryopsis I tell ya. :lol:

And the frags on the frag racks start to make mini colonies of themselves. aiyayiyai

I have this problem too. Only one step further. The corals that have overgrown the plugs, onto the rack, are now forming branches.

and also i have 2 racks.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1