Innovative Marine Aquariums

EZ's Mantis EcoPico

Ezsharkman

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where'd you get the mantis from, and what species?

I ordered him from TBsaltwater... he is a N Wennerae! Absolutely the coolest little guy ever!

he only cost me 28 bucks with shipping because i live in Fl =)

TheUnfocusedOne
I ordered him from TBsaltwater... he is a N Wennerae! Absolutely the coolest little guy ever!

Lucky you. I've done that method twice and I was really happy both times.

Enjoy the little guy, they are the coolest.

You have a wiener shrimp? You should name him Oscar (meyer)

Geez, EZ what a crappy pic, from what we can see he is cool!

You have a wiener shrimp? You should name him Oscar (meyer)

Geez, EZ what a crappy pic, from what we can see he is cool!

LOL!

he packs a ass big punch! I gave him some shrimp last night and used a BBQ skewer to feed him. he grabbed the shrimp and gave the skewer a big whack to to say "get the f out of here, stick". It made my GF jump!

I can tell that he would smack my hand if got to close....nobody messes with the almighty Thor! :P

They only get like 3 inches... that's why i wanted a N Wennerae... didnt want to have a mantis that would out grow my pico... its still debatable if he should be in 5 gallons... some people say its ok... some think its 2 small

Cool looking little guy. Is it true these guys aren't "reef safe"? I assume they will eat, destroy, etc your corals if you had them?

some species live in SPS and smash them... but this little guy shouldn't bother any of my corals. now other livestock like a goby or a crab... not safe.

i have been reading a bunch about these little guys. Truly amazing creatures.

Its really fun to sit at my desk and have this little mantis sitting there looking back at me.

some species live in SPS and smash them... but this little guy shouldn't bother any of my corals. now other livestock like a goby or a crab... not safe.

i have been reading a bunch about these little guys. Truly amazing creatures.

Its really fun to sit at my desk and have this little mantis sitting there looking back at me.

Hmm...Interesting...I did some reading as well before you decided to get one, and now I'm even more intrigued. One of the LFS around me has one (not sure what type though). Is there a specific type that doesn't attack corals?

I have my Pico in my office and I think it would be interesting to see this guy from time to time, if I were to get one :).

Hmm...Interesting...I did some reading as well before you decided to get one, and now I'm even more intrigued. One of the LFS around me has one (not sure what type though). Is there a specific type that doesn't attack corals?

I have my Pico in my office and I think it would be interesting to see this guy from time to time, if I were to get one :).

Most don't attack corals and there are some great people on here that can help id a mantis.

There are 2 different kinds... smashers and spearers. You would want a smasher.

During my research i found these kinds would fit the bill for a pico

Neogonodactylus oerstedii

And a Neogonodactylus wennerae

You can order them from places like TBSaltwater.com and sealife inc

Most don't attack corals and there are some great people on here that can help id a mantis.

There are 2 different kinds... smashers and spearers. You would want a smasher.

During me research i found these kinds would fit the bill for a pico

Neogonodactylus oerstedii

And a Neogonodactylus wennerae

You can order them from places like TBSaltwater.com and sealife inc

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I did read the difference between smasher and spear. I thought spear might be better suited but if you suggest smasher, that is what I'll look at (if I got this route).

Thanks for the link to the sites. I live in Ohio so I'm sure shipping is a b**ch. Sent an email out to an LFS to see if they carry them and if not what they are able to get in. I'll continue to do research and see what happens.

Sorry for going off topic in your build thread :)

I've been tempted to visit Tampa Bay Saltwater - it's only across the Bay from me (about a 30 minute trip with the crazy traffic here) and pick out some rock and save on shipping costs. I've quickly come to realize my BC29 isn't exactly what I want and plan on getting something more like the Cadlights 50g long Artisan tank.

Every tank thread I've seen that had his rock looked great.

I've been tempted to visit Tampa Bay Saltwater - it's only across the Bay from me (about a 30 minute trip with the crazy traffic here) and pick out some rock and save on shipping costs. I've quickly come to realize my BC29 isn't exactly what I want and plan on getting something more like the Cadlights 50g long Artisan tank.

Every tank thread I've seen that had his rock looked great.

I ordered fresh Fl live rock for my JBJ 28... I love the stuff. So many different types of life comes on it. Just remember... if you hate the look of macos in a display i wouldn't recommend it. But if you like the natural look i cant recommend it enough... Richard over at TBS is a great guy and will make sure you get what you want. PS....i have never had a readable trace of nitrate using that rock. Crazy!

Hee hee...those eyes!!!!! He doesn't look like someone you can trust :lol: I hope you two become best buddies!

yeah! i think he has some alterior motives. i hope we have a long and friendly relationship =)

What type of mantis is that you have. I just recently acquired a peacock mantis from a lfs. He's pretty bad ass. Gl w yours.

Its a Neogonodactylus wennerae... do you have a thread or picts of yours?

Thor is getting a little bit more comfortable in the tank. coming out a bit more every time he peeks out

Got a mantis head peeking out :o

mantis-2.jpg

So cool! Have you fed him yet?

I gave him some shrimp last night and he ate it of the BBQ skewer... plus he killed a cerith snail... all that is left is little pieces of shell :o

Archived