Innovative Marine Aquariums

EZ's Mantis EcoPico

Ezsharkman

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't happen, especially with one of this size.

Mysids are good as well. If you want to feed mostly frozen I'd suggest getting something like selecon to help provide some extra nutrients. Hermit crabs and snails are cheap enough to keep him happy though. Buy a crab every once in a while for some extra fun.

Awesome info!

i have been looking into the selecon and will be ordering some very soon.

What do you think about hermits from the beach? I live on the beach in Florida and can just walk down and find them all the time. I dont want to try it if you guys think they might bring on some pests and stuff.

I was also reading that hermits can harm a mantis during the molting process... what are your thoughts on that? and how long did it take your N W's to molt when they molted... i guess it takes them a long time from what i have seen on dif forums

Thanks

TUO

Lol...Nice.

Are you breeding the snails or just stocking x amount at a time?

Just buying them as i go

Awe...isn't he cute (and deadly)!!!!!! The tank looks more than awesome!!!! I love it!!!!

Thanks Gena

hopefully he doesnt break the glass!

:o

Hey! That little pico is looking good! Mr. Mantis is looking cool!

:D Thanks Spiro =)

Looking great! I think I'm happy with my tail-spot though... I already get freaked out when my emerald crab starts waving his claws at me... I'd be terrified of Thor!

LOL... my emerald has got me before "didnt see him on the rock" and i jumped like a little girl.

:lol:

:P

TheUnfocusedOne
Awesome info!

i have been looking into the selecon and will be ordering some very soon.

What do you think about hermits from the beach? I live on the beach in Florida and can just walk down and find them all the time. I dont want to try it if you guys think they might bring on some pests and stuff.

I was also reading that hermits can harm a mantis during the molting process... what are your thoughts on that? and how long did it take your N W's to molt when they molted... i guess it takes them a long time from what i have seen on dif forums

Thanks

TUO

You'll notice some behavioral differences when they're about to molt. The easiest way to tell is if they lose most of their striking power and don't seem to hunt. Personalities differ IMO, I used to have one that would take macro algae into his hole before his molt, and others that would just stop leaving their den. The big thing is, once they've plugged up their burrow (like the way they do at night), leave them alone. At that point, there's nothing you can really do for them anyway and stressing them during or right after they molt could kill them. I almost did it myself once, since I didn't see him for ~10 days and I thought for sure he wad dead. He had just molted, and wasn't very appreciative of my visit. Molts vary, I've seen them as quick as 2 days and as long as 10.

Don't worry about hermits eating your mantis, it will shelter itself away during a molt so nothing can get to it. If you want to make sure, only put in hermits that are a fraction of it's size. Hermits from the beach would probably be fine, just don't get caught taken em! I've heard FL can be a ##### about collecting. I used to feed mine Asian shore crabs, which are an invasive species all along the east coast. All my mantis shrimps Loved them. I'm not sure if their as far down as FL though.

ASC have a tendency to run out of your tank once. I had one get out, run out of my room, down a flight of stairs, down a hallway, through my kitchen to the back screen door and then half way up the door. Valiant effort, but he still got nommed in the end :lol:.

That doesn't happen, especially with one of this size.

Mysids are good as well. If you want to feed mostly frozen I'd suggest getting something like selecon to help provide some extra nutrients. Hermit crabs and snails are cheap enough to keep him happy though. Buy a crab every once in a while for some extra fun.

it does happen, and maybe not one of his size but ive had to clean up a 30 long that mysterious got cracked over night :/

plus the eco pic isn't exactly the thickest glass with the best silicone jobs, but im sure you know that

Thanks Unfocused!

You rock!

That story about the crab is hilarious!

plus the eco pic isn't exactly the thickest glass with the best silicone jobs, but im sure you know that

Have you heard stories about the ecopicos leaking? :o

they seem put together pretty well... but sounds like i need to find out a little more about some possible issues with them

TheUnfocusedOne
it does happen, and maybe not one of his size but ive had to clean up a 30 long that mysterious got cracked over night :/

How do you know it was a mantis? Only one or two species commonly seen in tanks are powerful enough to break glass, so says Dr. Caldwell. You'd be a fool to question him about mantis shrimps.

NP EZ

I have been reading all i can about the mantis shrimps vision...its amazing that they can see polarized light and change their body's colors to communicate with other mantis shrimps in secret!

here is some of the info i found.

In a world completely invisible to us, the mantis shrimp can see wavelengths in the ultraviolet and infrared spectrum and well as two forms of polarised light.

they have stereo vision with just one eye;

each eye is up on a stalk, with a wide range of motion;

stomatopods have up to 16 visual pigments (in contrast, we humans have three—red, blue, and yellow);

stomatopods can also see ultra-violet and infra-red light, and some can even see polarized light.

For many ocean animals, sensing polarization may be even more important than sensing color. One possible use for polarization in the ocean (and elsewhere) is signaling: communicating with neighbors, rivals, and potential partners. Recent discoveries have shown that stomatopods, a sort of shrimp found on reefs around the world, use special body areas to communicate with polarized light. Only with polarizing filters can human eyes see these special areas.

Equipped with polarizing filters, cameras have photographed mantis shrimps and revealed areas of the body that are thought to be used for "secret communication." They are visible only to animals that can see polarized light, and stomatopods are among the best in the animal kingdom.

Wow, that is a great vid! I have seen a few vids on these guys.

Have checked out Reef Central? I think they have a whole section on them.

How do you know it was a mantis? Only one or two species commonly seen in tanks are powerful enough to break glass, so says Dr. Caldwell. You'd be a fool to question him about mantis shrimps.

NP EZ

youre right it probably was a ghost

Hey Ez,

How are you working in the tank with him in there now? Like, how are you putting in your coral frags?

Has he come up to get you yet?

He's cool I like his name. We named our Grendel. This is a pic of him.

4b254945.jpg

:blink:

So far since last Tuesday i have given him a very little piece of raw shrimp 3 times and he has killed all 3 dwarf ceriths. I plan on the shrimp every 2 to 3 days and to keep some snails at all times just in case he wants a snack... plus he killed a pit bull and a cage fighter on Saturday :lol:

He's low maintenance then. All you need is an order from reef cleaners for ceriths and shrimpee is set for life. :lol:

TheUnfocusedOne
Any idea what the smallest tank would be you could keep a mantis in ?

IME a normal sized 5g is the smallest I'd go. It's all about footprint. I had a nice 5g long tank that was perfect for a mantis. I also had one in a picotope for a while, but I definitely thought it was too small.

Wow, that is a great vid! I have seen a few vids on these guys.

Have checked out Reef Central? I think they have a whole section on them.

i have... very good stuff

youre right it probably was a ghost

ghost fo sure!

Hey Ez,

How are you working in the tank with him in there now? Like, how are you putting in your coral frags?

Has he come up to get you yet?

He just hides and pokes his head out... seems like he would only attack if i put my hands right in front of his den. but i will always watch him when i put my hands in... plus in a ecopico if you stick your arm in you can overflow the tank pretty easily, so i use metal tongs to grab some stuff

Great tank...fascinating thread...taggin along for the ride!

Thanks Chip! :D

Thanks for the info :).

You are really making me want to get one of these guys lol.

I'm sure he would work in my custom deep blue. However, part of me thinks maybe an acrylic tank would be better for them?

IME a normal sized 5g is the smallest I'd go. It's all about footprint. I had a nice 5g long tank that was perfect for a mantis. I also had one in a picotope for a while, but I definitely thought it was too small.

Agreed!

i am gonna be watching Thor and if i feel he is cramped (ecopicos don't have the best footprint) i will set up a bigger tank for him.

I think i am in love with these creatures. They are truly amazing and really fun to watch! I already want to set up a planted O scyllarus tank in the future. I have a 40 breeder that in the garage atm and its tempting me to do it

Thanks for the info :).

You are really making me want to get one of these guys lol.

I'm sure he would work in my custom deep blue. However, part of me thinks maybe an acrylic tank would be better for them?

Here are some of the best sites i have found to read up on them

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr....html#directory

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr...tomatopoda.html

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/

couple more that i found and will post when i find them again...forgot to bookmark

What are you doing to keep your tank clean? Obviously, with a Mantis, the clean-up crew wouldn't last very long. Any extra steps you're taking?

What are you doing to keep your tank clean? Obviously, with a Mantis, the clean-up crew wouldn't last very long. Any extra steps you're taking?

I think i will just add clean up members as he takes them out. I haven't had very much algae so far... but i will adjust the CUC # accordingly. I think some larger snails might be to much for Thor to kill. But I will keep you posted as i learn what i can and cant add to the tank

Archived