SaltCritters.com

EZ's Mantis EcoPico

Ezsharkman

At least I have my other tank to stare at. I can't wait to see some life in it... I do have some copepods on the glass... If this keeps us I'm gonna start nameing them. :lol:

Thanks jg pico pot 009 :D

Lmao. You're the only one to catch that. It was not my intention to be dope as in pot though lol.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LivingStrong08

Awesome thread so far! I've had the Ecopico sitting in my office with no water, etc for a bout a month. I'm glad u are talking LED strips. I love the actinic look of tanks. I think I will use ur light set up idea. :)

Or similar. I will be following.

Happy Holidays!

Timmy G

At least I have my other tank to stare at. I can't wait to see some life in it... I do have some copepods on the glass... If this keeps us I'm gonna start nameing them. :lol:

I developed a deep and personal relationship with a spaghetti worm while I waited for my tank to cycle and settle down. I still check in on it now and again even though I've got 'real' pets in the tank now.

I developed a deep and personal relationship with a spaghetti worm while I waited for my tank to cycle and settle down. I still check in on it now and again even though I've got 'real' pets in the tank now.

its amazing the unlikely friendships you can make when you are starting at an almost empty tank. I had a HH mantis is my other tank during the cycle. I named him Vladimir and even drove him a hour away to find him a happy home.

i sure do miss you Vladimir :tears:

I contacted tbs and asked them if I could get a deal on shipping for the Wennerae Mantis I want because i am in florida. They told me 20 bucks vs the 50 they say on the website. I will know where I'm getting it when it's time... Corals first.

So it is a mantis tank! Cool!

Yeah I named a barnacle as I had no fish yet, felt kind of crazy doing it but I had nothing to watch but him!

Can't wait to see this tank stocked. ;)

this is the kind of mantis i want to get

10SM.jpg

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-03/jf/feature/index.php

got the info from here

Common name: Caribbean Rock Mantis Shrimp, split thumb

Functional type: Smasher

Range: Northern Caribbean to North Carolina and Bermuda

Habitat: Reef and grass flats, mangrove, reefs and rubbly bottoms

Depth: Low intertidal to 30 m

Home: Cavities in coralline algae, coral rubble, LR, gastropod shells, urchin tests

Diet: Generalist; gastropods, hermits, small crabs

Size: 7–80 mm

Color: Variable, often solid green but brown, brick red or cream, sometimes mottled; like many gonodactyloids, this species changes color depending on habitat color and depth. Animals from below 10 m are often red; shallow animals green or cream. In the aquarium under bright, broad spectrum light, red animals usually turn green after one or two molts; meral spot white.

Distinguishing Characters: Submedian teeth prominent, intermediate teeth reduced (see N. bredini); white meral spot; it is very difficult to tell N. wennerae from N. bredini morphologically although there are genetic differences. N. wennerae is a northern Caribbean species found subtidally, N. bredini tends to occur in the southern Caribbean and is often found in the intertidal.

Activity: Diurnal, closes at night

Aquarium Requirements:

Temperature: 21–29° C

Salinity: 33–36 PSU

Cohabitants: Will eat small crustaceans and gastropods

Aquarium size (adult): 20 l

Aquarium substrate: Sand and gravel, coral rubble, LR, cavity

Suitability for Aquarium: Excellent; hardy and active

Availability: Common; frequently found hitchhiking in LR from Florida; available commercially from collectors and LR suppliers in Florida; easily collected on exposed reef flats in the Florida Keys

Well darnit, this thread inspired me to actually register at the site. I've been lurking for awhile and considering a small tank after dismantling my 55g in lieu of new workspace for my wife (artist). I just ordered the reef version Ecopico from a LFS. Here we go reefing again.....Luckily I still have my RO/DI unit and water testing stuff. I CL'd just about everything else. I'll post pics on a new thread once everything is up and going.

surgicalsense

... that was an amazing video, thank you for sharing darlin. Made me want to jump in my tank, but then that would cause issues, water change, SW all over my wood floorboards, mess up my scape :lol: and piss off my corals.

I placed my duncan, it is on the shelf on the left. Kind of on a incline, its budding so if I am successful, should fill in the area nicely. I will post a picture if I remember, I have so much to do this evening. If I do not post tonight I will def when I get home.

Those are beautiful!!!! Where'd you order from? Examine that big rock closely. My two eunicids came in on a big rock like that. I started with dead rock so I know the only way they HH in was on the big zoa rock I had purchased online. Maybe dip the heck out of it when you get it just in case!

Archived