ReefCleaners.org

Danielle's • NC24 • Moderately updated • FTS 5/26

surgicalsense

I'm really starting to love Scales 'n Tails. Their SW livestock in the store isn't always great (don't blame him though), but he can order anything. He has all the supplies you could want at decent prices, and his freshwater (fish/plants) is pretty outstanding.

I got my pom pom from him for $7.50 with the holiday discount. Did you get the discount with your shrimp????? How much was he?

That's awesome that they will retrofit the hood. They rock :)

How many guppies did you end up getting? I'm going to wait until I get all the plants in the tank before I buy my guppies. SnT are supposed to get a new shipment of plants in next week. I'm waiting so I don't stress out the fish. I'm really looking forward to getting them!!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!! :flower:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Happy New Year to all of my awesome NR friends :wizard: and :grouphug:

I only purchased 4 total guppies from Marks. 2 neons and 2 tiny barbs. Tossed in a few plants just to get it started. Next weekend I will have the hood in the 3g retrofitted with the 13watt for the freshwater plants. Excellent! I will go back next weekend to get more fresh water plants, yay! The fire cleaner was $25, no holiday discount. Still $11 cheaper then Mark's charged me for the first on we had.

Updates!

Water change √

My Tunze is now wet! Skimming in the bucket with icky water from Ch.2

Bio removed from Ch.2 ... stock carbon bag still in place.

Gena's brain coral is happy with room to stretch ( :lol: sorry, I couldn't resist that one)

GSP are finally out.

Okay so todays question is...

I have the skimmer wet right now. How is the adjustment for the skimmate suppose to be?

Okay so todays question is...

I have the skimmer wet right now. How is the adjustment for the skimmate suppose to be?

Take a picture of your FW :)

As far as your question. And it's been a while since I've dealt with a skimmer...but, isn't more bubbles equals wetter skimate, less bubbles equals the good stuff????? I'm sure someone will come along with the exact answer :lol:

As far as your question. And it's been a while since I've dealt with a skimmer...but, isn't more bubbles equals wetter skimate, less bubbles equals the good stuff????? I'm sure someone will come along with the exact answer :lol:

pretty good - this sure helped me when adjusting my skimmer

surgicalsense
Take a picture of your FW :)

That makes sense, thank you. But, yes homework is to be done .... I asked L to take pictures of the all the new stuff to post and that includes the FW tank/bowl.

I've always been told your skimmate should look like dark green tea or blacker. Wetter takes more stuff out, drier takes less out.

When you start to get a foam built up into it, you want the bubbles to break at the top of the little tube inside of the collection cup. :)

I've always been told your skimmate should look like dark green tea or blacker. Wetter takes more stuff out, drier takes less out.

When you start to get a foam built up into it, you want the bubbles to break at the top of the little tube inside of the collection cup. :)

That's what I live by. I though it was more the water level in the skimmer. The bubbles are there anyways and you want as many as you can, but the water level controls the skimmate. Mine is usually about 1/2-1 cup of dark green tea a week now with all my fish.

That's what I live by. I though it was more the water level in the skimmer. The bubbles are there anyways and you want as many as you can, but the water level controls the skimmate. Mine is usually about 1/2-1 cup of dark green tea a week now with all my fish.

This is about the same with myself - it takes some time to get it dialed in that is for sure - and there is no question about it. You dont want to 'dial it in at first' or you will have a mess all over lol

surgicalsense

More or less air for this effect?

I am breaking it in a bucket of my icky water from Ch.2 ... thing run super quite compared to what some say, unless this changes once it is broken in.

surgicalsense
Happy New Year Miss Dani! Happy reefing and breaking in the tunze

Thank you, Kat! Happy New year to you as well!

You control this one with the air right? Not a pump correct?

More bubbles = wetter skimmate

less=dryer

for now I would keep the bubbles breaking right below the collection cup bottom. When it breaks in it'll start producing more then you thought, mine broke in when I was at work and had a 1/2 full cup when I got home and I had it set super low.

GL I love having a skimmer.

surgicalsense

I just got done scraping off aiptasia off my GSP frag... good times - good times :P

I have the patients to do it under my LED desk lamp/bowl of SW and just do it :)

Randi ... yes just the one air control valve. That adjusts with a Philips.

FUN! That sounds easier then my not so easy to turn valve on mine.

So yeah keep the water level in the skimmer below the bottom the the skimmer cup, like right below, and you'll get some wet skimmate for a while if anything but when it breaks in then you can fine tune it.

surgicalsense
FUN! That sounds easier then my not so easy to turn valve on mine.

So yeah keep the water level in the skimmer below the bottom the the skimmer cup, like right below, and you'll get some wet skimmate for a while if anything but when it breaks in then you can fine tune it.

Okay will do :) and yay! I am done with the routine cleaning/wc/feeding of the tank today.

Oh I pissed the GSP off today.

surgicalsense
Hey...where's the pictures???? I thought they'd be here by now ;)

How L? Feeling better today?

I know, we can not find the camera :huh: We think it is still in L's car from the trip. He is feeling better as long as he keeps moving around. Least that is what he said.

I found a red bristle worm on the new GSP frag. Geesh that thing is riddled with pests. Well there is no way for me to grab it off there, super little. Is there any fish that eat those things? Or crabs even?

I will go get it out of the car :happy:

bristeworms are great for your tank. Leave it in. They are beneficial critters. I know dottybacks will eat them. They are aggressive fish though.

surgicalsense
bristeworms are great for your tank. Leave it in. They are beneficial critters. I know dottybacks will eat them. They are aggressive fish though.

It is a red bristle, so this will be okay? It was only one sighting so far, okay my dear if you say it is safe, then I will not spazz out ;) over it.

It is a red bristle, so this will be okay? It was only one sighting so far, okay my dear if you say it is safe, then I will not spazz out ;) over it.

Yep...red bristleworms are great. I'm sure you already have some in your tank...you just haven't seen them yet.

surgicalsense
Yep...red bristleworms are great. I'm sure you already have some in your tank...you just haven't seen them yet.

I promise I will have pictures of everything :) I have to confess how lazy I am right now :lol: and I am just puttering along before Monday comes to greet me.

I promise I will have pictures of everything :) I have to confess how lazy I am right now :lol: and I am just puttering along before Monday comes to greet me.

Do you have to work tomorrow?

Archived