Coral Vue Hydros

Yoshii's 55g Makeover » Second Time's the Charm!

yoshii

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is my first time using sketchup...I think it came out ok

55gSumpSketchupScreenie.jpg

The skimmer, sand, and pump were just thrown in there so you could see what the chambers were for. I think I might need to make a platform of some sort so I'll be able to use chemical filtration in a high flow area

I'm still playing around with the chamber sizes and stuff, I really want to use more space for water (higher baffles) but then I'd have to set the skimmer & its pump on a stand, and then it would stick out of the sump more, making it harder to cover up (does that make sense?)

-

As for the next fish, both of my extra 10g tanks are being used currently, so I'll use my extra 20g and I'll quarantine multiple fishes at once :) Which means, I'll try a pair of firefish and...idk what fish I'm going to get after that

Why are the baffles so short compared to the sump?

Skimmer max water level is 8" :(

That's why I'm considering making the baffles higher and then just making a stand for the skimmer

Yes, the sump is next to the tank. I'll probably put a table over it, but the taller the skimmer the harder it will be to find a nice table that will fit

Yeah that could be hard.

I would still create the stand but spray paint it black or something. Then smoke the glass so everything is dim.

Yeah that could be hard.

I would still create the stand but spray paint it black or something. Then smoke the glass so everything is dim.

I'm not making a stand for the sump, it will be on the floor.

I think I'll just put a table over it, and if it's incredibly ugly I'll put a drape thing in front

Hmm you know I'm just going to make the baffles higher and deal with the skimmer later, most of my friends who might come over won't notice it

I'll be using black eggcrate for the skimmer platform

We'll see how it looks after it's completed. My dad really wants to put a plant on top of a table over the sump cause there's a plant that's kinda near the tank right now and it loves the bleeding light from the fixture lol, it's actually doing really well on the side near the tank compared to the side near the window :lol:

why can't it go in the stand?

also, use the christmas yoshii med made you :)

It won't fit in the stand, not even a 10g would fit in the stand

I have one I made last year on my other computer

This way, the sump will hold around 24g

55gSumpSketchup2.jpg

BUT, omgsh that eggcrate looks like a pain to clean, and imagine how dirty it will look with worms and sponges and stuff growing on it...

So, I need to think of a better skimmer stand. Acrylic?

I have one I made last year on my other computer

use it then :P

maybe you could take two acrylic plates, silicone to a big piece of acrylic tubing, drill holes.

use leass eggcrate?

how are yo so good in sketchup alread?? :angry:

use it then :P

maybe you could take two acrylic plates, silicone to a big piece of acrylic tubing, drill holes.

use leass eggcrate?

how are yo so good in sketchup alread?? :angry:

I'll look for the file on Sunday

Silicone + acrylic = :( Gotta use weld-on. I might take a trip to the acrylic store and see if they have anything pre-made a could use or steal ideas from

Lol I didn't make that eggcrate (or the return pump), I got it from the 3D warehouse, then adjusted it to fit

File>3D Warehouse>Get Models, then search for whatever you're looking for

Anyways, I'll try to post my definitely-not-finalized stock list tomorrow, see what you guys think :)

YESSSSS My LFS can get in a Blue Jaw Tilefish! omgomgomg

But besides that, here are some other fish I'm considering-NOT the stock list:

-Schooling Bannerfish*

-Firefish

-Yasha Goby, no shrimp*

-Female Lyretail Anthias*

-Geo Hawkfish

-Trained Red Scooter Blenny

-Solorensis Wrasse

-Black Cap Basslet or Yellow Assesor (not sure how they're react to the firefish/wrasse/blenny)

-Midas Blenny-kinda big..

-Gobies

(*=definitely getting these)

Again this isn't a final stock list, just a list of fish I like that I'm considering for this tank

Oh, my Dad keeps bugging me cause he wants to get more coral in the tank so I got a Leptastrea and some zoas today

Euphy, where did buy your clowns from? (What store)

Aquarium Concepts. I got them at tiny little babies. They had to be less than 1/4" each. I actually had to keep them in a guppy breeder box so they wouldn't get sucked into the filter. :wub:

animalmaster6

How in the WORLD did I not see a thread for the 55 gallon I've been waiting for :rant:

Glad to see a thread :happydance: I like the sump design. Seems like a good, solid idea.

Oh and the tilefish will hide! omgomgomg

YESSSSS My LFS can get in a Blue Jaw Tilefish! omgomgomg

But besides that, here are some other fish I'm considering-NOT the stock list:

-Schooling Bannerfish*

-Firefish

-Yasha Goby, no shrimp*

-Female Lyretail Anthias*

-Geo Hawkfish

-Trained Red Scooter Blenny

-Solorensis Wrasse

-Black Cap Basslet or Yellow Assesor (not sure how they're react to the firefish/wrasse/blenny)

-Midas Blenny-kinda big..

-Gobies

(*=definitely getting these)

Again this isn't a final stock list, just a list of fish I like that I'm considering for this tank

Oh, my Dad keeps bugging me cause he wants to get more coral in the tank so I got a Leptastrea and some zoas today

I saw a pair of Yashas at an LFS a few years ago. The store is long gone, but those guys were the cutest! They popped in and out of their hole together. :D If you can, get a pair of the Yashas instead of just one.

I like the idea of the bannerfish. Are you gonna get more than one? You should get three! :happy:

Aquarium Concepts. I got them at tiny little babies. They had to be less than 1/4" each. I actually had to keep them in a guppy breeder box so they wouldn't get sucked into the filter. :wub:

That was my guess, Aquarium Concepts always has tons of SA clowns

Awww how cute! :3

How in the WORLD did I not see a thread for the 55 gallon I've been waiting for :rant:

Glad to see a thread :happydance: I like the sump design. Seems like a good, solid idea.

Oh and the tilefish will hide! omgomgomg

Lol it's been up for like over a month!

Yes, but tilefish are so cool! :)

I saw a pair of Yashas at an LFS a few years ago. The store is long gone, but those guys were the cutest! They popped in and out of their hole together. :D If you can, get a pair of the Yashas instead of just one.

I like the idea of the bannerfish. Are you gonna get more than one? You should get three! :happy:

Hmm that's kinda expensive though :/

No, just my one, they get big

That was my guess, Aquarium Concepts always has tons of SA clowns

Awww how cute! :3

Lol it's been up for like over a month!

Yes, but tilefish are so cool! :)

Hmm that's kinda expensive though :/

No, just my one, they get big

True, haha. I've seen them for like $70 each.

Archived