Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wtf is up with these mp10 prices.

SWAG

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any other reasonably priced pumps/powerheads that have different modes like this and the mps?

I sold my MP10ES and I have 2 of these being shipped to me now. Should get them on the 19th.

HecticDialectics

2 comparable controllable koralias would run you around $470. 2 comparable controllable Tunze will run you around $350. Neither of them have the extreme controllability of the Vortechs.

I'm not sure how reef tanks ever survived before controllable powerheads. #firstworldproblems

I can't wait to see the in-person pics of those boatmotors from aquastyleonline fm just bought :lol:

"I can't wait to see the in-person pics of those boatmotors from aquastyleonline fm just bought"

They are going in a 8' 240g tank. I think I will have plenty of room ;) I know you cant do as much as a vortech but when I had my MP10ES I only used short wave mode. Plus if I dont like them sell them and just buy something else. Its just $$

5.51"Lx3.94"Wx2.76H

Not that much biggger compared to a Koralia 4.

Resun:530gph 6.5W, 2,116 12W, 3,968gph 25W

Koralia 4: 1,200gph 8.5W

Here are a couple of pictures of the Resun on the left and the Koralia 4 on the right.

resun1.jpg

resun2.jpg

HecticDialectics
"I can't wait to see the in-person pics of those boatmotors from aquastyleonline fm just bought"

They are going in a 8' 240g tank. I think I will have plenty of room ;)

Yeah I'm sure they'll look fine in that big of a tank... the ol' tunzes were huge too ;)

I am a registered patent attorney and find this post very interesting! I don't know really anything about the case but if you on the fence about buying one there is about a .0000001% the reexamination will be in anyways successful. I even believe the reexam prior art is cited in the patent.

I want to reference back to a previous statement that a Vortech is BASICALLY just a magnetic stirrer so the patent is bad. I see this same logic applying to a lot of other patents. Let's take for example the newest generations of anti-biotics...they are just BASICALLY penicillin, so those must be bad patents too, after all they both just kill germs....and a product much closer to us, the electrical aiptasia killer devices, which have a patent pending, they are just BASICALLY hammers, because the last time I had aiptasia problems I took the rock out and smashed it to bits so the aiptasia would die!!!! So hammers are BASICALLY the same as Aiptazers, and bread mold is BASICALLY the same as Cefdinir, so I conclude that, based solely the "BASICALLY" test, previously discussed, neither of these patents are "good" patents!

To keep it simple for everyone, a new use of an old product is patentable. (Just to try and clarify) So taking a magnetic stirrer, adding computer system to drive the pump at random speeds to produce turbulent flow, etc...could make the vortech unique. The obvious standard its not as simple as duh someone could do that there needs to be a suggestion in the "art".

i also bought a MP10 cash yesterday, posed naked with it and returned it today. why? because i got cash son.

i dont need one. reef tanks are so 2010 anyway. FWP FTW

LMAO. I can just imagine a rap video with someone throwing money and MP10s at half naked women.

LMAO. I can just imagine a rap video with someone throwing money and MP10s at half naked women.

You have quite the imagination. :mellow:

HecticDialectics

:lol:

Interestingly enough, most DIY vortech projects fail miserably... the few I've seen work sound like spoons on cheese graters

You think it'd be easy to replicate, since some of these folks are convinced MP10s are so cheap and easy to produce ;)

:lol:

Interestingly enough, most DIY vortech projects fail miserably... the few I've seen work sound like spoons on cheese graters

thesmallerthebetter had a really nice DIY Vortech in his like 1/2 gallon contest pico.

It was so cute and phresh. Evidently it worked really well and was quite.

i own a magnetic stirrer, a lab grade one. ill sell it for 20 bucks or free if i can throw it at you. P/U only.

i also bought a MP10 cash yesterday, posed naked with it and returned it today. why? because i got cash son.

i dont need one. reef tanks are so 2010 anyway. FWP FTW

/thread

HecticDialectics
thesmallerthebetter had a really nice DIY Vortech in his like 1/2 gallon contest pico.

It was so cute and phresh. Evidently it worked really well and was quite.

Yeah and he ran into a crapload of problems and spent hundreds of dollars going through multiple prototypes to get it working and make it reliable :lol: And if he ever gets it to work well with a manageable parts list and tries to post instructions or sell it, I bet Ecotech's patent attorney will have a thing or two to say about that. ;)

Yeah and he ran into a crapload of problems and spent hundreds of dollars going through multiple prototypes to get it working and make it reliable :lol: And if he ever gets it to work well with a manageable parts list and tries to post instructions or sell it, I bet Ecotech's patent attorney will have a thing or two to say about that. ;)

Well there you go. I had no idea about that!

That's what I get for not having a ~30000 post count. :P

To keep it simple for everyone, a new use of an old product is patentable. (Just to try and clarify) So taking a magnetic stirrer, adding computer system to drive the pump at random speeds to produce turbulent flow, etc...could make the vortech unique. The obvious standard its not as simple as duh someone could do that there needs to be a suggestion in the "art".

So those peristaltic dosing pumps become a new patentable device when dosing an aquarium instead of a flask? Hell I use a waterpick to blast my rockwork sometimes I guess a waterpick for the aquarium is a new patentable device too and I shouldn't have posted it here.

You're the patent expert so I guess if you say it's so it must be however it flies in the face of reason. I guess that's not unusual in matters of law.

Archived