Top Shelf Aquatics

Wtf is up with these mp10 prices.

SWAG

They are awesome products, no doubt whatsoever about that, but there is no way in the ever-lovin hell I'd pay $200+ for one.

Go to petco's website and use the coupon code "rock10" on the MP10ES. You'll get it for $198 shipped. Then you wouldn't be paying $200+ :D

BTW, I just got one doing this :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics
I want in your supersweetsixteen birthday pictures.

I got a $3,500 car :happy:

The car dealership was asking $4500, and my dad was all, I'll give you $3500 cash. And so the salesman does the ol "I doubt we'll be able to do that, lemme go check with the manager" and comes back and offers $4000. And my dad is all "I'll give you $3500 cash." And the salesman says its a nice car and looks at me and has the balls to ask "how bad do you want the car?" So of course, given the chance, I face-smash him with a "I can wait..." with a dead, blank stare (I've always been HD lol).

One of my best birthdays :lol:

I got a $3,500 car :happy:

The car dealership was asking $4500, and my dad was all, I'll give you $3500 cash. And so the salesman does the ol "I doubt we'll be able to do that, lemme go check with the manager" and comes back and offers $4000. And my dad is all "I'll give you $3500 cash." And the salesman says its a nice car and looks at me and has the balls to ask "how bad do you want the car?" So of course, given the chance, I face-smash him with a "I can wait..." with a dead, blank stare (I've always been HD lol).

One of my best birthdays :lol:

Pichurs, or it didn't happen.

No, but I am a Ecotech dealer so I do know just a little about it.

I also have enough experience in business and R&D to know what things cost to get them going.

How long do we let them get away with charging for R & D? It seems that if the prices were due to R & D that it would have been long since paid off. Now that this particular driving force is paid off let's lower the prices (BTW, I DO have Vortechs and love them, I just hate the R & D justification).

that was before digital cameras were invented :lol: I dunno where the picture went

Dang. Well you look good for an old reefer.

Lol. J/k. You're always hanging me out to dry, I'm just having some fun with you. Don't bite.

Oh my. My head is full of illnesses because I understand I can't afford something? Man, people these days.

I really don't know where i said that i couldn't afford the pump.You got that right...people theses days....

######.

I really don't know where i said that i couldn't afford the pump.You got that right...people theses days....

######.

Bro just chill. Save a little and then you can buy it. There are lots of great deals here on MP10w ES's around here.

that was before digital cameras were invented :lol: I dunno where the picture went

i had the first camera phone. i used the money from my JOB to buy that atrocity. it was maybe one mp and had to be manually attached to the phone....

should have bought an MP10 instead.....

i had the first camera phone. i used the money from my JOB to buy that atrocity. it was maybe one mp and had to be manually attached to the phone....

should have bought an MP10 instead.....

Hmm.....

When the fanboys swarm to OT a thread to obscurity you just know there are some nuggets of truth hidden in the offending claims, else why the emotional responses?

I'd like to first restate the only valid argument that has been made: MP10s cost that much because it has been determined that's the price the market will bear.

Rare earth magnet pricing is an excuse. What don't all the other pump motors incorporate rare earth magnets too? Oh pulleeze that is some pretty obvious BS even for an online forum.

and yet...

The one significant differentiating feature of the Vortech pump surprisingly enough has not been mentioned. It is the only aquarium pump magnetically coupled to a motor outside the tank through the glass. Given the safety benefits as well as the convenience and thermal advantages implied by this design I too will likely overpay for one in the near future.

...Unless of course that is the obviously bad patent awarded to Ecotech for such a system is overturned upon reexamination. After all this is basically a magnetic stir bar apparatus turned on it's side abutting an aquarium with groovy flashing lights and microprocessor control. Prior art abounds and the high price of the MP10 is merely testament to the broken intellectual property allocation process dominated by the 800 pound gorilla in the West corner wearing the red white and blue trunks.

But whatever, back to your personal attacks and hasty generalizations let the eternal September proceed.

Deleted User 6
Now honestly I know just what the MP10 (wireless or otherwise) is capable of and I cannot FATHOM them being worth more than $75-100, and thus I refuse to buy one.

you can't. but i can.

I use an MP10 to mix my salt... I rather the look of the koralias in my tank. They are like submarines in the ocean. :D

Wow, I like it! :lol:

Didn't SWAG state in original post he had saved up enough to buy one? Sounds to me like he is just concerned about the price a little. Nothing wrong with that, is there? I'm sure we've all complained about the price of something before. :lol: Anyways, good job SWAG! I'm also trying to save up but am not quite there yet. My previous job was seasonal so I'm currently looking for a new one and have no cash coming in. :(

I haven't read through the entire thread but, I got got my mp10wes last month after the guy at my LFS said they were gonna raise prices. I'm extremely happy and impressed with the functionality of it. All of my sps have better polyp extension and other corals health have seemed to stabalize. That 1 mp10 replaced two other powerheads and I still only have to run it at 40-70% power on 56g cube. In my opinion they are worth the money, if you want to get them cheaper check the classifieds everyday cuz they sell like wildfire and you can get some better deals. I wish I would've listened in the beginning and paid the piper because I wasted some money going the "cheaper" route. Sad but true You really do get what you pay for.

HecticDialectics
...Unless of course that is the obviously bad patent awarded to Ecotech for such a system is overturned upon reexamination. After all this is basically a magnetic stir bar apparatus turned on it's side abutting an aquarium with groovy flashing lights and microprocessor control. Prior art abounds and the high price of the MP10 is merely testament to the broken intellectual property allocation process dominated by the 800 pound gorilla in the West corner wearing the red white and blue trunks.

lol!

"Basically" is not really how IP law works, cute tho :lol:

lol!

"Basically" is not really how IP law works, cute tho :lol:

That sir is because i was referring to design as opposed to law. I guess when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

P.S. It's nice that you think I'm cute but I'm not into guys, thx anyway.

HecticDialectics
That sir is because i was referring to design as opposed to law. I guess when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

lol how can you talk about use and patenting of designs without IP law?

Come on now, lets not get childish.

IMO if you can afford the pump and you want to buy it then buy it. If you can afford it then save up just dont complain about. They are a business and will set whatever price they want as long as someone will buy it. Simple as that.

Come on now, lets not get childish.

IMO if you can afford the pump and you want to buy it then buy it. If you can afford it then save up just dont complain about. They are a business and will set whatever price they want as long as someone will buy it. Simple as that.

My reply was appropriate to the comment, I get to play too. Childish might be mischaracterizing my analysis as a complaint. Can/Can't afford isn't the same as why is this overpriced? which btw is the question at hand and is not a complaint. Had you actually read my post you might understand that I believe this pump to be virtuous and that I will probably buy one.

I sympaythize with your desire to defend your buddies from cold clear logic and sarcastic wit but misdirection and obfuscation don't help the dialectic(ironic?).

Regarding how one can discuss patents without discussing law my answer is that I hope we can discuss it rationally. Law , the laws of man to be clear are merely the rules decreed by the man at the front of the largest army in the land. These are unlike the laws of nature which are the rules things in the physical world must follow. When discussing a machine and the principles which make it different or like another machine it is the physical laws that are relevant not their civil namesakes, kin only by equivocation. I know at the end of the day wig wearing stuffed shirts with impressive sounding credentials in fields unrelated to the technology being examined shall be the arbiters of idea ownership, unfortunately this is a tragedy I have no power to remedy.

Archived