Pod Your Reef

Wtf is up with these mp10 prices.

SWAG

To be honest the K1 are really outdated now, you can use the much smaller 425 nano and push the same amount of water with almost half the form factor. Also check out the Tunze PH.

Still much bigger...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Price adjustments are always about cost. They are not out to get you guys as consumers or raising the prices just for fun.

This, and what tam said about the magnets. I read a RB article about that and totally forgot. I am amazed that its starting this rapidly though

I guess they are using the same theory as gas companies, as oil prices rise, so does gas.

Or every other business in the world. And technically Gasoline is a bad example but that is for another thread.

I just don't see how anyone was in the market and now are not. Either you could afford a $200 pump or you were always in the $30 range for a powerhead.

I agree with the theory if you could initially afford $200 but cannot afford $230, you probably couldn't really afford $200 to begin with.

HecticDialectics
I agree with the theory if you could initially afford $200 but cannot afford $230, you probably couldn't really afford $200 to begin with.

:lol:

+1 -_-

To me anything over $50 for these pumps is a bit steep, but I understand they need to pay for all past and present R&D.

Reason I will be buying this powerhead regardless of price is because the technology is beyond what others in the market have to offer and for aesthetic reasons.

Ecotech has a MRP and a MAP. The retail MRP is higher than the MAP, and that is why you are finding differences in the pricing.

If you go to a retail store you are going to find a higher price because Ecotech sets the minimum price for it. The internet sales fall under the MAP, thus being cheaper.

dude i charge MAP prices for everything, i'm not that greedy to charge more. and why bother when you can just go online and get it for the MAP. sucks but like someone said above if you can't afford the pump well that just sucks, try something different. no real other way around that. but if you don't need more than one pump its kind of dumb to order the w model when you can just get the rf chip down the road if you really need it.

but if you don't need more than one pump its kind of dumb to order the w model when you can just get the rf chip down the road if you really need it.

^This

But to suggest they’re upping their price because they’re getting squeezed by their suppliers, meh, maybe a little, but they undoubtedly have plenty of buffer space in their product pricing. You can’t tell me there’s $310 more worth of parts (magnet) in the MP60 than MP40... that pump is a profit machine.

There is way more involved in the making of that pump than what people think. It is a fairly complicated piece of equipment that includes more than a magnet and I shudder to think what the R&D costs for it were.

And believe it or not, the markup on them is pretty small. (less than 20%)

HecticDialectics
The speed at which technologies and products are replaced in this hobby is astounding, when I took a hiatus 2 years ago T5’s were the hot ticket, now they’re dinosaurs to LED. There’s no chance Ecotech’s padding their profit margin while the iron is hot?

Big difference in water movement technology and LEDs. LEDs are rapidly advanced tech which causes older generations to drop in price as new generations are released. Water movement, not so much.

A $750 Radion LED lighting system, really? Oooh but it’s wireless, shrug. The Ecotech brand is on fire right now and they’re raking it in. They do make a premium no cost spared product which demands a premium price. But to suggest they’re upping their price because they’re getting squeezed by their suppliers, meh, maybe a little, but they undoubtedly have plenty of buffer space in their product pricing.

lol yeah you're right. Ecotech should eat $15 profit to pay for more expensive magnets instead of passing it on to the consumer. :rolleyes:

If someone doesn't like the price increase, don't buy one. Nothing more pathetic than poor people crying over money.

What does the 60 do that the 40 does not besides push more water? Not trying to be argumentative, honestly curious.

It's not about what it does "differently". It's a different size, and that right there is enough. The thing had to be engineered first. Not to mention what it takes to resize everything, get new injection molds, new magnets designed, new impellers designed, AND make sure that it is all going to be reliable and work like it's supposed to. R&D for things like this are stupid expensive.

I understand why they charge so much for it. If it was something cheap and easy, you would see knock-offs everywhere, and you don't.

HecticDialectics
I understand why they charge so much for it. If it was something cheap and easy, you would see knock-offs everywhere, and you don't.

I have yet to see a fully functioning DIY that doesn't sound like a spoon on a cheese grater :lol: No one can even DIY one cheaper with the same design and functionality.

HecticDialectics
Closed loop/Oceans Motions systems --> Tunze Pumps --> Koralia Pumps --> Vortech pumps in the matter of about 5 years. 2 years down the road, something will compete with/best the Vortech, whether you choose to believe that or not

The koralias were cheap garbage Tunze knock-offs. Tunze were around in early 2000s. Vortechs only came around 3 or 4 years ago. LED technology advanced every 6 months. 4-5 years is a lifetime in technological advances these days. 2 years? lol Gross understatement.

Please calm down. That was pretty rude when I'm just trying to have a discussion. But go ahead if it makes you feel good. Things have changed since I was active here last, geez even RC isn't this fanboi'ish. :lol:

That wasn't directed at you. Why you chose to appropriate it as directed at you, tho, is illuminating...

We're talking about a 5% increase due to the cost of materials guys. 5%! It's not a huge leap and they aren't doing to have pillowcases full of money to rest their head on at night. It's an increase in material cost on their end that is accordingly being passed on to the consumer.

It's like a baker having to pay more money for flour but then you complain when he passes the cost on to his customers. The loaf of bread used to cost $1.00 and now it's $1.05. I hope that puts it in perspective for some of you guys.

Most of the time you end up not paying sales tax for your VorTech because you're buying it online and get free shipping. You're still coming up ahead unless you live in a state where sales tax is not collected, your LFS lets you have 10% of equipment, and it's down the street from you where you live.

Man I wish I could remember the post I read a while back so I could quote it.... but it went something like this...if you don't have money to spend stay away from reef keeping as a hobby.

Perfect example myself...between the aquarium, wavemaker/pumps, diy stand behind fuge, sump w/ fuge, skimmer, pumps, plumbing, timers, led ect ect I've probably droped a little over 1000 not including livestock....this hobby's initial tank startup for good equipment and having things aesthetically pleasing while being able to support whatever it is you decide you want is not cheap.

matt_longview

Man... lots of people freaking out on both sides of this one.

Don't be mad at a business for being a business. If they raised prices because of materials... great. If they raised prices because they think a $15 hike will cause less than 1 in 6 or 7 potential buyers to back out so they'll make a larger profit margin then that's still a great business decision. Either way I'm not glad they raised the price, but I am glad that they're making a great product. While I'm not glad, I'm not upset enough to not buy one. So in my case, their $15 price hike made since for them. If you're upset, you get to choose not to buy their product... if enough people do that, they'd have to lower their price.

I doubt that's going to happen though... they have competitors, but they're currently at the top of the market.

On the other side. Someone complaining about a price being too high is their right as a consumer. The company knew that was going to happen when they raised the price. Just like a business has a right to be a business, a consumer has a right to be a consumer. They chose not to spend their money because of the price increase. Then they chose to voice their opinion on an appropriate medium. Why bash the business? Why bash the consumer? Ya'll obviously didn't take marketing... ;-)

It's just that some people define a budget and stick to it. Quite easy to understand actualy.

At 200$ I find it on the edge of being acceptable but I would still buy it but with some apprehension, past 200$ it's a no go for me as I do not find it worth it pass that point. Very very simple.

Man I wish I could remember the post I read a while back so I could quote it.... but it went something like this...if you don't have money to spend stay away from reef keeping as a hobby.

Perfect example myself...between the aquarium, wavemaker/pumps, diy stand behind fuge, sump w/ fuge, skimmer, pumps, plumbing, timers, led ect ect I've probably droped a little over 1000 not including livestock....this hobby's initial tank startup for good equipment and having things aesthetically pleasing while being able to support whatever it is you decide you want is not cheap.

Why do people come here and be so rude.

Expecting a teenager to have a wheel barrel of money.

At this age $30 is a big difference.

Why do people come here and be so rude.

Expecting a teenager to have a wheel barrel of money.

At this age $30 is a big difference.

That's why:

1. You get a job and contribute to society.

2. Get a cheaper pump (Koralia, Hydor Evolution, Mini-jet, etc.)

3. Ecotech has costs they need to address as well.

4. If it's too expensive, don't buy it. Plain and simple.

The reason people are being rude is because this thread is a bunch of whining. Yes prices are more expensive than in the past. Yes money is tighter these days. But really?

Do your research before you create 20 ridiculous threads a day that can easily be solved with research. It'll be doing us all a huge favor.

Archived