Top Shelf Aquatics

Micro-Reefs LLC

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Sorry, NPS = Non-photosynthetic

You mentioned you were getting NPS corals/inverts? Why aren't you going to get photosynthetic ones? (It'd be much easier to care for in a pico)

them is cuties, how does one acquire info on such?

Until you see the underside :P

They filter diatoms and plankton out of the water when waves splash over them.

Here's a video of one feeding

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Er what?

Mike, what are your stocking plans? (I vote lots of macros and tiny nems :P)

Cristina,

I'm holding 55 degrees F so I have been looking at what I might find in Monterey, CA. The problem is that I'm in love with the Catalina gobies and they live in about 60 degrees F, so I need to find a mid ground for both.

I don't want to get stuff from Monterey and it dies because it's at 60 to 65 degrees F just because I have the Catalina, vice versa.

It's hard to say, but what I do know is that I will be finding some nice live rock from 20+ feet. Probably on my second dive I will take the rock.

My first dive in Monterey will be the accessment of what I might need.

I've seen lots of tiny critters and lots of tiny fish but they would be hard to catch without the proper equipment and without the permit, I would not do it.

The broken live rock should be okay, I will find out.

Remember that with a 2 gallon pico I have very limited space, so I want stuff that will count and be able to survive.

I'm already holding a perfect temp without any problems, but that is the first problem solved, these critters are filter feeders and that puts a huge bioload on uneaten food.

I will require constant water changes but that's okay since it's a small volume to work with and garage water is always at 50 degrees.... :)

No more worries about heating up the water change...

I don't know if anyone knows, but I am a certified diver since 2007 and was trained in Monterey CA. I absolutely love cold water diving and have all the equipment for such waters.

I have sent off for my permit from Fish and Game to collect small critters for this 2 gallon cold water pico. Here are two pictures:

Ready to enter Monterey Waters...

2mkhk.jpg

These are the colors of Cold Water reefing... Colors that I want in our 1st cold water Micro-Reef...

10dwf4m.jpg

Awesome! I actually dive Monterey quite a bit since moving out here. I'd love to maybe start a temperate tank at some point and collect for it while diving. I'll be following your progress!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I am recruiting some good diving friends to help me scan the area and see what small corals/sponges might be forming on the live rock...

I really would love to see the colors on these rocks because the colors on the live rock down there are beyond belief...

When I light up the area with my 21 watt HID light, the colors are just amazing beyond anything I've seen in warm water live rocks...

I'm trying to get at that...

Cristina has a good point about the tide pools being accessible to beach goers but I want what beach goers cannot get, I want to search in dive gear what might make an amazing pico...

I don't want this to fail, I'm putting a lot of time, energy, and money into making it right...

I don't want to let down my temperate future pico owners.... :)

We have a lot of crazy ideas flying in our heads, hopefully it pans out....

Edited by mikeguerrero

There are rules for collecting in California (which I'm sure you're aware of.) IIRC in some instances you need to be at least 1k feet out. Check with DFG with regards to which areas you can collect from and which ones you can't.

I would hit up the biotopes section and talk to some of the guys in there. They're more familiar with California's collection laws vs. the general NR populace. C-Rad and AquaticEngineer are two members that come to mind.

Edited by tam
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
There are rules for collecting in California (which I'm sure you're aware of.) IIRC in some instances you need to be at least 1k feet out. Check with DFG with regards to which areas you can collect from and which ones you can't.

I would hit up the biotopes section and talk to some of the guys in there. They're more familiar with California's collection laws vs. the general NR populace. C-Rad and AquaticEngineer are two members that come to mind.

Last night I applied online from DFG website for my sport fishing license for one year. I can collect for my aquarium, the rules are very strict on what you cannot take but very open to so much more, I was amazed.

I want to pick up some nice live rock and see how the tank goes, remember my tank is super tiny at only 11x6x7 I'm the pico of cold water reefs.

Thanks,

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
coldwater tanks! thats awesome mike! good luck with your success!

Thanks,

I'm so excited, since I love to dive CA waters... Everyone thinks I'm crazy for diving Monterey and Carmel at 50-55 degrees F but I absolutely love it...

Now I can finally share with nano-reef what I might find out there and keep a small token in my tiny reef tank...

It's been 4 years of diving in Monterey and I have all the gear for it, everything but the scooter which is $4,000 dollars alone...

But in equipment I have $10,000 dollars for diving these waters... The drysuit is the most important part of my gear and should allow me to spot some really nice stuff that might live...

I am very nervous that I do it right, because I don't want to fail at this new venture, time is critical since I go back to teaching in January, so I want to launch this cold water pico soon. :)

Thanks,

I'm so excited, since I love to dive CA waters... Everyone thinks I'm crazy for diving Monterey and Carmel at 50-55 degrees F but I absolutely love it...

Now I can finally share with nano-reef what I might find out there and keep a small token in my tiny reef tank...

It's been 4 years of diving in Monterey and I have all the gear for it, everything but the scooter which is $4,000 dollars alone...

But in equipment I have $10,000 dollars for diving these waters... The drysuit is the most important part of my gear and should allow me to spot some really nice stuff that might live...

I am very nervous that I do it right, because I don't want to fail at this new venture, time is critical since I go back to teaching in January, so I want to launch this cold water pico soon. :)

yeah drysuit, youre set! You can be down there all day with that haha I used to surf huntington at 5 am with the buddies all the time in the fall/winter. People thought we were insane but you get some good swells that time of the year by the pier and with a wetsuit who gives a eff about the temp :P

This is going to be a great tank you're putting together. Based on the past examples you've created, I don't think you are going to have too much of problem getting this one right. Now, on to the important stuff. I am going to be putting together another tank after the holidays and will be ordering one of those sexy 8 gal tanks from your site. I have a couple questions though.

1) I will be using a sump and am wondering if I be able to order the tank with the holes for bulk heads already drilled. If not, what type of hole saw would you suggest to do this job.

2) I will be using a MP10 on this tank. Have you had any problems with the MP10 crazing the acrylic?

Thanks and looking forward to this build.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
This is going to be a great tank you're putting together. Based on the past examples you've created, I don't think you are going to have too much of problem getting this one right. Now, on to the important stuff. I am going to be putting together another tank after the holidays and will be ordering one of those sexy 8 gal tanks from your site. I have a couple questions though.

1) I will be using a sump and am wondering if I be able to order the tank with the holes for bulk heads already drilled. If not, what type of hole saw would you suggest to do this job.

2) I will be using a MP10 on this tank. Have you had any problems with the MP10 crazing the acrylic?

Thanks and looking forward to this build.

Nice,

The 8 gallon is very popular and you would be the third person to pick it up... The first went out to New Jersey and yesterday I had a gentlemen in Texas want one.

I would drill out the holes yourself, very easy. The hole saw can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes and you can decided which bulk size to use.

I am sure other reefers will chime in and tell you the size.

As far as the MP10, it's awesome and we use it on our 25 gallon acrylic display tank, no problems at all.

Shoot me a PM when you are ready to order since, it's a special order item.

Thanks,

MG

Sounds great, guess there will be a 2nd one being shipped to NJ. I will def will be ordering one after christmas, or I could order it now and the little lady will have to do without presents this year. Hmmm, sooo tempting.

Sounds great, guess there will be a 2nd one being shipped to NJ. I will def will be ordering one after christmas, or I could order it now and the little lady will have to do without presents this year. Hmmm, sooo tempting.

She can do without. You did put thought into getting her a gift , and they always say its the thought that counts. Sounds to me like you are good.

Didn't realize you were from hayward. I'm gonna be coming up to the bay area next week. Just wondering if you had an actual store or is just online for now?

Last night I applied online from DFG website for my sport fishing license for one year. I can collect for my aquarium, the rules are very strict on what you cannot take but very open to so much more, I was amazed.

I want to pick up some nice live rock and see how the tank goes, remember my tank is super tiny at only 11x6x7 I'm the pico of cold water reefs.

Thanks,

MG

Good on you for going about it the right way. My main concern is the areas where you'll be collecting.

Marine aquarium organisms cannot be taken in any marine life refuges, marine reserves, ecological reserves and state reserves.

A list of marine reserves and conservation areas of Monterey is available about half way down the page here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/maps.asp As you can see, it's quite extensive.

Personally, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I was actually planning on starting a tank similar to yours with Catalina Gobies or Zebra Catalina Gobies, I haven't decided yet. I purchased a used Ice Probe with temp controller about a month ago in preparation. :D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Good on you for going about it the right way. My main concern is the areas where you'll be collecting.

A list of marine reserves and conservation areas of Monterey is available about half way down the page here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/maps.asp As you can see, it's quite extensive.

Personally, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I was actually planning on starting a tank similar to yours with Catalina Gobies or Zebra Catalina Gobies, I haven't decided yet. I purchased a used Ice Probe with temp controller about a month ago in preparation. :D

I am a Global Underwater Explorer (GUE) some of the most serious type of diving you can do in the world, so their ecology education has really made an impression.

I dive Point Lobos Reserve in Carmel, so gorgeous but you can't touch or take anything.... I hope to pull from some beautiful boat only accessible spots, my old boss owns the Aquatic Discovery boat and I might be able to hit him up...

It will be very nice what I place in the cold water reef, I promise.... Maybe even a California octopus tank... :)

Edited by mikeguerrero

Not set up yet, as you see (kinda busy this time of year), but I wanted to post a pic of the custom 24"L x 10"W x 8"L build I got from Mike (listed on his site now as the 8 gallon). You can see why I specified the dimensions I did...fits perfectly. :)

iga46sxid33nvhno333p.jpg

The light is from a Fluval Spec and is just temporary. Any lighting suggestions? I'm leaning toward LED but the limited space above the tank (~6") limits options a bit.

Edited by jgilvey
them is cuties, how does one acquire info on such?

nip,

They don't live long in aquariums... remember that CUC vendor that used to ship free CUC's? I bought a few from them for my old tank... lasted like 2 weeks? They just die/starve(?) in your sand bed.