Innovative Marine Aquariums

~ Candy Land ~ New Pics up Radions are UP! Tons of Top Downs.

FlCandy

I've never seen a zoa poop :huh:

It's gross, I was sitting and watching them and I saw this black matter like stuff come out of one of the mouths! I googled it and remembered something on here re this pic of a Zoa doing the same thing. Was like EWWWW!

If they eat they have to poop right? :huh:

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frogspawn will eat. You have to make it smaller pieces. I always did a little slice of shrimp or just the frozen mysis. You have to place it near the mouth. That's been the best way I've found to get them to eat the food. The last FS I had would actually pull the food to it's mouth with the tentacles though. And turn down the flow so the food doesn't blow away.

Frogspawn will eat. You have to make it smaller pieces. I always did a little slice of shrimp or just the frozen mysis. You have to place it near the mouth. That's been the best way I've found to get them to eat the food. The last FS I had would actually pull the food to it's mouth with the tentacles though. And turn down the flow so the food doesn't blow away.

Good to know, I kind of dusted them and it seemed to respond. Tentacles extended and I have seen it pulling it's tentacles in to the mouth and whatnot during the day.

It officially has 3 full heads, when I turned the lights out tonight I got a chance to watch it close and it has grown so much since Wednesday. Guess it's happy and likes my tank! Man oh man so glad that was a success.

I have a 3 headed frogspawn! :happy:

Aren't you supposed to be at work? :P

Never stopped me from being on here.

And now I don't have a job I swear they are unrelated!

surgicalsense
Good to know, I kind of dusted them and it seemed to respond. Tentacles extended and I have seen it pulling it's tentacles in to the mouth and whatnot during the day.

It officially has 3 full heads, when I turned the lights out tonight I got a chance to watch it close and it has grown so much since Wednesday. Guess it's happy and likes my tank! Man oh man so glad that was a success.

I have a 3 headed frogspawn! :happy:

Awesome, there is plenty of room in there for it to grow. I have reserved the upper right part of my tank for mine to have room since they grow so fast when their happy.

Are you dosing the tank?

Nope not dosing. No reason to I have nothing in there but the froggie and the Zoas. Just keeping an eye on Calc, Mag, Alk and all is doing perfect!

Okay I have decided it's the Light that is sneaking through the Blinds on the sides that is not letting this tank stay clear, it was clear until yesterday and is slowly getting a greenish haze back to it. Andrew actually said hey why don't we get you your lights for your birthday and get the UV sterilizer for Christmas! LOL Love him he is getting into the tank as well.

So I was looking at HOB at Marine Depot, But the only HOB they have is

http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_UV_15W_adv...-AV1113-vi.html

I can't decide if I need the 8w or the 15w as I am just using this for clearing the water. :huh:

Or is there a better one that I can run in line instead?

It's not like I don't do my WC and everything is very happy in the tank, all params are perfect so I am going to bite the bullet, I will go with UV. I will probably only run it at night if it is a HOB but the In Line would have to run 24/7 as it would be hooked to the Canister filter.

If all else fails I don't mind getting the higher wattage as I need to make the order 150-160 as this was his requirement.

LOL any input is welcome!

Sorry, since I answered in my thread I wasn't sure if I should post again. :D

I don't know about any other brands but I have a 9w Coralife inline TurboTwist. It seems to do well enough. I've actually turned it off since I started feeding Phyto/Zoo as I didn't want to hurt them. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do but that's what I'm doing :lol:

Maybe now is time to start thinking about a sump? For the cost of the UV you could get a pretty nice sump going and add a protein skimmer which will help keep your water cleaner and prevent algae growth as well. :)

Sorry, since I answered in my thread I wasn't sure if I should post again. :D

I don't know about any other brands but I have a 9w Coralife inline TurboTwist. It seems to do well enough. I've actually turned it off since I started feeding Phyto/Zoo as I didn't want to hurt them. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do but that's what I'm doing :lol:

Maybe now is time to start thinking about a sump? For the cost of the UV you could get a pretty nice sump going and add a protein skimmer which will help keep your water cleaner and prevent algae growth as well. :)

I have a skimmer! I get a half cup of green skimmate every week. Bleh it smells!

I was thinking that but I can do a DIY SUMP here when I get my tax return for cheep. So that's when I am doing that, I still haven't had the time to mod the new stand so I really don't want to plumb it until I have it on the permanent stand as it is about 4-5 inches shorter and I don't want to have to mod the plumbing when I move it.

I was thinking of going to the PetCo down the street so I can grab a 20 long I think that would be good enough for a SUMP/Fuge etc. Would it be tall enough to handle a Skimmer in it?

I have everything running on this thing that needs to be.... 2 Koralia 750, Skimmer rated to 100 gallons, and Chemi-Pure, GFO and filter floss (changed 2x week) and at that time I rinse the rest of the media as well. WC every week.... IDK all params are at 0

I think UV is the only way I can get this suspended algae gone completely.... -_-

HMOG! Just took a good look at the frog and it looks like the single head is splitting it's mouth. Jeez! I've had it a week and it is nearly another half bigger. WOW.

SO it HAS to be the ambient light in the house from the front windows...... Damn

boo algae...yay froggy!!!!! I bet a UV sterilizer will help. I don't know anything about them but I've read others with cloudy water putting one on and it cleared it right up!

boo algae...yay froggy!!!!! I bet a UV sterilizer will help. I don't know anything about them but I've read others with cloudy water putting one on and it cleared it right up!

Yeah I read a bunch of reviews on the one I ordered and everyone loves this one from MarineDepot.com

So here we go! Order confirmed waiting on shipping confirmation!

Soon! Hopefully in a week or 2 I can get a new FTS with clear water!

Thanks! The Froggie makes me happy! ;)

the uv only works on free floating algea, right?

im like 96.231% sure on this answer.

Yes Squared but this one at the GPH I will be running it will be good for anything I guess. 15watts with 200 GPH max I guess is pretty slow for this one, but I am getting it for the free floating algae, then I am making a preskimmer box and placing the output into the box so everything goes right into the skimmer.

So now to get some Black plastic and sealant to make that.... need to make a bottom and 2 sides, anyone have any good suggestions for a DIY on this? I plan on sealing it right to the tank for now and making sure the slits are low enough etc but I don't have much Evap.

Aqua UV 15W Advantage 2000 HOB UV Sterilizer The Advantage Series is ideal for small ponds, aquariums, and water features. Advantage UV's are slim, lightweight units designed for maximum UV effectiveness. Aqua Ultraviolet UV's will clear your water in 3 to 5 days sometimes overnight and keep it that way. Performance is guaranteed when sized, installed and operated according to our instructions.

* Fresh Water Sterilizer: 200-500 gallons; Flowrate - 700 gph for 30,000 µw/cm2

* Fresh Water Clarifier: up to 2000 gallons; ideal for water gardens

* Salt Water Sterilizer: up to 75 gallons; Flowrate - 233gph for 90,000 µw/cm2

* Dimensions: 18" X 4" X 2.5"

* Inlet: 1/2" MPT and 1/2" 90 degree elbow barb included

* Available in black only.

* Lightweight Unit Weighs: 4 lbs

* Housing: Limited lifetime warranty on housing against Ultraviolet degradation

Complete Unit: One year from date of purchase or 18 months from manufacturing date

So I may need to up my GPH so I don't kill all the food in the tank...... LOL

Or I can spot feed.... hmmmm

Contact glazer, he can make you a nice skimmer box for your skimming needs. he can give you a price quote.

unless you really just rather DIY it.

Ha if I want to be lazy I may just do that!

Archived