Cultivated Reef

~ Candy Land ~ New Pics up Radions are UP! Tons of Top Downs.

FlCandy

Looks amazing, Randi!!!! How big do those clams get????

Bigger then my tank can tank. I may have to either upgrade ( ;) ) or find him a home later on.

Very nice Randi ... very nice ....

Thank you sir!

It's tilting toward the light, most likely.

You need to get those mangroves out of the water or they'll die, they can't grow submerged. Half in and half out until the tip starts growing out. :)

16" or so

I assumed so! Glad it's so happy though after 24 hours in. :happy:

I know 3 are out of the water, the other 3 I have to get in and rubberband them to a higher point, I will do that Saturday on WC day. ;)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow, looks great randi! so much room to grow in!

Ha I have everything packed in there pretty tight! Thanks :D

Good to know. Thanks :)

;) And thank you!

Jedi, got them out of the water so their exposed to air. It's okay if the roots are exposed to light right? The other 3 are so tall they are out of the water and growing since they were placed in there Sunday. I mean Noticeable growth.

Thank again guys and gals for your kind words and praise I really appreciate it.

Crocea, 6" or so I believe.

On the Mangroves as Ben correctly pointed out, most of the propagule needs to be out of the water and only the bottom part that has the roots needs to be in the water. When I kept them I would only submerse the roots and maybe 1 to 2 inches of the bottom part and leave the rest out of the water, and provide light for it so it can grow and start producing leaves.

Under water they may survive for a short while but not all that long and they will die and rot so you need to change their location to get them to grow

You can actually float them by getting a small piece of styrofoam and make a hole in it and stick the mangrove through it, and then let it float or you can do that and to prevent it from moving all over the place attach it somehow to the side of the sump.

If you need more info let me know .. I wrote a few articles on keeping mangroves in the past and if you need more on mangrove should me a PM and I send you some links or you can go to my thread and in the search box type mangroves, well actually I just did and here is a link to all the posts on mangroves, some with pics and some with links including one by Julian Sprung :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...te=%2Bmangroves

On the Mangroves as Ben correctly pointed out, most of the propagule needs to be out of the water and only the bottom part that has the roots needs to be in the water. When I kept them I would only submerse the roots and maybe 1 to 2 inches of the bottom part and leave the rest out of the water, and provide light for it so it can grow and start producing leaves.

Under water they may survive for a short while but not all that long and they will die and rot so you need to change their location to get them to grow

You can actually float them by getting a small piece of styrofoam and make a hole in it and stick the mangrove through it, and then let it float or you can do that and to prevent it from moving all over the place attach it somehow to the side of the sump.

If you need more info let me know .. I wrote a few articles on keeping mangroves in the past and if you need more on mangrove should me a PM and I send you some links or you can go to my thread and in the search box type mangroves, well actually I just did and here is a link to all the posts on mangroves, some with pics and some with links including one by Julian Sprung :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...te=%2Bmangroves

I get it it's more of an issue with the current light and top since I have jumping fish in there...... will have to MOD this weekend, -_-

I get it it's more of an issue with the current light and top since I have jumping fish in there...... will have to MOD this weekend, -_-

Sounds like a good plan ... and if you need more info let me know FlCandy

jedimasterben
Crocea, 6" or so I believe.

+1

I mean Noticeable growth.

Once they get settled, they get the little growth tip growing, but that's about it. They grow less than a foot every year. At least they're pretty! ;)

Sounds like a good plan ... and if you need more info let me know FlCandy

Will do sir!

+1

Once they get settled, they get the little growth tip growing, but that's about it. They grow less than a foot every year. At least they're pretty! ;)

I mean the roots, and the little tips have grown 3-4mm since Sunday, and the one with leaves is now got them standing up and opening instead of all budded together. Either way the critters like them and so do I!

Randi, your tank gets more and more purdy everytime I see it!

Thank you sir, I am trying very hard! I am even so focused on this tank I am posting while I am closing down the office for the night! LMAO Oh well when the tank is your baby right!

Bleh I will post test results when I get home, I had to do a first dose of calcium yesterday and has me watching everything as I have not had to dose Calc as the WC have been enough. Well throw a clam in and that all changes Just FYI. :P:lol:

Talk to you guys soon!

Okay Before I added the clam the values were starting to drop but were not significant.

I added the clam on 11/6/12 My Calc was starting the fall a little before that as I have growing SPS frags which are getting huge, so I started dosing on 11/5/12 in anticipation.

11/5/12 9:30PM : Alk - 3.3, KH - 9.3, Calc - 360, Mag-1470 (shot up over night I swear I test so much I am again out of a test I got less then 2 months ago!, so I significantly decreased the dosing and have it stable at 1410 now.)

11/6/12 8:30PM: Alk - 3.42, KH - 9.6, Calc -330 ( 24 hours after first dose and 5 hours after clam was added!), Mag - 1410 (dosed more Calc!)

11/7/12 3:40PM: Alk - 3.53, KH - 9.9, Calc - 360, Mag - 1410 (dosed 5mL Calc, 5mL Alk)

11/7/12 8:30PM: Alk - 3.42, KH - 9.6, Calc - 370, Mag - 1410 (Dosed 10mL Calc and 7.5mL Alk, 5mL Mag)

11/8/12 7:00PM: Alk - 3.42, KH - 9.6, Calc - 380, Mag - 1410 (Dosed another 10mL Calc, 12.5 Alk, 5mL Mag.)

More results tomorrow, trying to log it a bit on here as well in my little notebook which I need to replace as it is getting a bit full....... well a year of testing (over that now) and having 2 tanks I should have one for each tank. Gives me an excuse to buy some more cool office supplies! ;)

Think I have this baby under control. Going to try the dosing in the top off water for this next week after tomorrow so I can be ready for going out of town, need it to be as streamlined as possible for the TS as they know it but I don't want them to have to test and dose every night. Way too much to ask them to do even though he is Fish and Game on the ocean patrol and is super jelly of the tank and will watch it like a hawk for me! LOL May have to change dosing to the AM though as he works evening most days....... not going to be easy would have to test before work which means waking up earlier and bleh bleh bleh.

Well I am done ranting and posting facts on my tank for now, clammy repositioned slightly again so he is straight guess he is just trying to find his sweet spot and then will settle. He looks so awesome in there I am loving him so much!

Thanks again you guys my friends for the kind comments and praise. I am really not that confident, you should see me running around freaking out when a level is off and etc. Oh well goes with the hobby, but I guess if I can safely maintain an animal under anesthesia, bring a dog back from dying while under and glove up and assist in surgery I would hope I could figure out my levels! I may freak but in the end I always do better under pressure!

Again you guys rock, all I have now is due to the help from everyone on here (the ones who helped) and reading articles for hours and hours of my free time to make sure I was doing okay. I am getting some new DBR this Saturday and two new lights for the SUMP so I can get those groves higher up and better situated. Big works this weekend. Pics afterwords.

Quick note I am only dosing for a 100 gallon tank mine runs maybe 70 total so it's slowly getting it back to where I want it over the course of the last 48-72 hours. I am pleased.

Okay Before I added the clam the values were starting to drop but were not significant.

I added the clam on 11/6/12 My Calc was starting the fall a little before that as I have growing SPS frags which are getting huge, so I started dosing on 11/5/12 in anticipation.

Wow that is quite a set of test results ...

I try to be thorough! ;)

You sure are ... I am going to have a look at the numbers later this morning as I have a Dr's appointment I have to go to for my Diabetes (II), as they need to take a blood sample (the vampires!`) to determine my A1C, but that never takes very long, kind of in and out in 15 min. or so.

Do you like this music?

IDK I will listen tonight after work. Thanks for dropping in! :D

You sure are ... I am going to have a look at the numbers later this morning as I have a Dr's appointment I have to go to for my Diabetes (II), as they need to take a blood sample (the vampires!`) to determine my A1C, but that never takes very long, kind of in and out in 15 min. or so.

LMAO I am a vampire as well drawing blood from dogs and cat's all the time! LMAO hope the test comes out well. ;)

LMAO I am a vampire as well drawing blood from dogs and cat's all the time! LMAO hope the test comes out well. ;)

AIC has been around 7 or 8 so not too bad ... it used to be 12 and 13 at one point so doing much better MRS VAMPIRE !

jedimasterben
AIC has been around 7 or 8 so not too bad ... it used to be 12 and 13 at one point so doing much better MRS VAMPIRE !

Mine has been around 5-6. When I was first diagnosed, mine had reached 9. :o

Mine has been around 5-6. When I was first diagnosed, mine had reached 9. :o

That is good ... I think the Diabetic Assn recommends now less than 5.7 ... Do you use insulin injections?

jedimasterben
That is good ... I think the Diabetic Assn recommends now less than 5.7 ... Do you use insulin injections?

I have an insulin pump.

Archived