Pod Your Reef

~ Candy Land ~ New Pics up Radions are UP! Tons of Top Downs.

FlCandy

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So is a red thorny starfish reef safe? I am getting both yes and no answers?

It is a yes and a no.

When it is a juvenile it eats algae but when it ages it will become carnivorous so I would stay away from it as anything IMO that only semi-safe for a reef can turn for whatever reason and start damaging your corals and that starfish, Echinaster echinophorus based on your description will consume corals and sponges, tubeworms, clams, other starfish, and other invertebrates

Is it this one :

Echinaster%20echinophorus.png

I'm going t move him to the SUMP then when I can find him as he is hiding now! LOL

SO I have pics of the New Tank from my phone kind of super cloudy as there is NO media back there, the stuff that was there was so disgusting I was nearly sick when I pulled it out.

Going to start a thread tomorrow for it while I am resting from procedure #2.

249310_10151229535814029_1874024280_n.jpg

The LEDs I think the marieneland reef ready, I may have to upgrade but until he have it to his parents he was keeping LPS and etc in there so I have some hope.

308852_10151229536744029_432346284_n.jpg

21186_10151229537284029_1713821896_n.jpg

Looks Good BB may keep it that way. Drew wants more black sand but I was like lets see.

149822_10151229538074029_1324359755_n.jpg

He has been dubbed Sunnial (if you saw the silly version of 300 you'll understand)

302836_10151229546199029_1227822862_n.jpg

The other one is a Bassalet I believe he is all purple and not a fire fish so everyone is happy alive and in the SUMP.

And yes Albert it was one of those starfish but I will just relocate him to the SUMP. Will make a nice addition. And if he eats the Palys there I am not worried.

Thanks for looking guys!

Hey Jedi can you let me know re the LEDs it's pon a 8 gallon tank about 1' tall nano. Thanks you guys rock so awesome!

Oh and a nice little mushie

12744_10151229547894029_1932241396_n.jpg

He was brown then I started the drip with him the fish and the Starfish in there and the color went to neon green. Pretty guy just needed some TLC.

Oh and I found the starfish and moved him to the sump. We are all good to go!

jedimasterben
The other one is a Bassalet I believe he is all purple and not a fire fish so everyone is happy alive and in the SUMP.

Like this?

p-72303-black-cap-basslet.jpg

I'm going t move him to the SUMP then when I can find him as he is hiding now! LOL

SO I have pics of the New Tank from my phone kind of super cloudy as there is NO media back there, the stuff that was there was so disgusting I was nearly sick when I pulled it out.

Going to start a thread tomorrow for it while I am resting from procedure #2.

The LEDs I think the marieneland reef ready, I may have to upgrade but until he have it to his parents he was keeping LPS and etc in there so I have some hope.

Looks Good BB may keep it that way. Drew wants more black sand but I was like lets see. ]

He has been dubbed Sunnial (if you saw the silly version of 300 you'll understand)

And yes Albert it was one of those starfish but I will just relocate him to the SUMP. Will make a nice addition. And if he eats the Palys there I am not worried.

Thanks for looking guys!

Guess you had a look of cleaning up to do on that tank then since you say it was "icky icky" when you got it but it is starting to look like a real FlCandy tank ... so no BB ? Black sand ? Or are you going to convince him that it should be BB ... I think that in the near future I am going to go BB on mine too as I have been removing more and more sand little by little so as not to upset the filtration balance too much in one go.

Good luck with the new one !

Guess you had a look of cleaning up to do on that tank then since you say it was "icky icky" when you got it but it is starting to look like a real FlCandy tank

Truer words have never been spoken. It DOES look like a FlCandy tank :happy: What a little gem you have on your hands!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see what you do with this one!!!!!!!

Like this?

p-72303-black-cap-basslet.jpg

Nope was wrong Dottyback

p-90003-fridmani.jpg

just like that

What is your opinion on the LEDs? Just wondering if their okay for LPS and softies like Mushrooms and Leathers.

Guess you had a look of cleaning up to do on that tank then since you say it was "icky icky" when you got it but it is starting to look like a real FlCandy tank ... so no BB ? Black sand ? Or are you going to convince him that it should be BB ... I think that in the near future I am going to go BB on mine too as I have been removing more and more sand little by little so as not to upset the filtration balance too much in one go.

Good luck with the new one !

Ha just a hose and a toothbrush! But the sand went Bye Bye. Going to try and stay BB but if I get bored may get a bag of Black sand for it as well if I get bored with the look but I like this!

Thanks the scaping was a PITA with a small tank but I like it and all the free Macro was awesome! I kept pulling dead LPS skeletons out and I may try a small froggie in there if the Ammonia and etc stays at 0 for a week but all the LR and etc I doubt I will have much if any cycle with all new water. Just dropped 4-6 pellets in there to kick start it. ;)

Truer words have never been spoken. It DOES look like a FlCandy tank :happy: What a little gem you have on your hands!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see what you do with this one!!!!!!!

Thanks my friend! It is a very nice little tank! I was so excited when I saw it, also I got to be in a Billionaires house for a hour while we did the breakdown and they were so nice giving me hugs and etc. They had a 2' long Oscar in their other tank he was gorgeous!

I moved a small piece of Dragons breath and Caulerpa in there we will see if I get a cycle and then start putting some small frags of my palys and some of the lose Mushies in there.

I am saving the pink one for you! ;)

And the starfish has been dubbed Llamia (evil gypsy demon) before I even knew what he would do as an adult.

And I need a name for the scared and not very sure Dotty. Drew is saying Dilios

The Little Leo has already told the Damsel who is boss even though the Damsel has a good 1/2" on him! LMAO Love clowns!

jedimasterben
What is your opinion on the LEDs? Just wondering if their okay for LPS and softies like Mushrooms and Leathers.

It probably fine for softies at that depth, LPS I'd say no to. The PAR ratings posted for those fixtures are horrendously wrong, not to mentions they make corals under them look like crap. If you want, buy the parts and I'll put something together for you. (in the future, of course, no rush on that offer ;) )

I LOVE orchid dottybacks!!!!! I didn't have mine long enough to learn if she would turn into a little terror though :lol: That was my one fish that was eaten by a St. Thomas mushroom. I'll never forget that horrible day!!!!!

They are so brightly colored and such a feminine looking fish.

You did a great job with the aquascape, BTW.

It probably fine for softies at that depth, LPS I'd say no to. The PAR ratings posted for those fixtures are horrendously wrong, not to mentions they make corals under them look like crap. If you want, buy the parts and I'll put something together for you. (in the future, of course, no rush on that offer ;) )

Gotcha the plan was a mushie and Macro Tank, there arent enough different colors to it was thinking of getting some of the Stunner Strips Gena and Surgical used on theirs to get a better spectrum.

So it will work for the plan. Thanks for the DL, I appreciate it as I have Idea about LEDs :lol:

I LOVE orchid dottybacks!!!!! I didn't have mine long enough to learn if she would turn into a little terror though :lol: That was my one fish that was eaten by a St. Thomas mushroom. I'll never forget that horrible day!!!!!

They are so brightly colored and such a feminine looking fish.

You did a great job with the aquascape, BTW.

Thanks we will see, 4 fish a Cleaner shrimp and a Red Spiky starfish in the SUMP I am getting there! LMAO man I almost have enough to be an attraction for the locals!

And thanks you, your and Danielle's tanks were my inspiration, I have so much rock I was suprised how hard it was compared to the larger tanks!

Ohhhh all 4 fish are out and getting along so far!

Although the tiniest of the fish the little 1" clown is asserting her dominance over all the tank inhabitants! LMFAO man oh man.

That little tank is gonna look great!!!

Thanks! We are going to put black sand in there it was the Hubbie's call I am making this HIS tank with many of the things, like the softies we put in there and final call on the fish.

I talked to him and he agrees on the 3 pairs of teeny tiny gobies and a Possum wrasse. We just have to decide on the guys. I know it'll be awesome I just an so excited! And so is he funny, after everything with the big tank he is all into this one as well! And is telling me to order the media basket etc and do what I want LMAO

So much changes in a year! :happy:

Anyone have any input on what LED strips I should add (Talked to Gena) for better color, they are all white but a total of 6 blues. I was thinking a strip or purple and reds on the front and back but I have no idea when it comes to these things! < Calling the Jedi Master! :ninja: per Mrs. Gena!

This IS going to be another Great Tank !

Thanks it officially has a thread. I put it here rather then the Nano forum as it is way easier for me to keep up when their together. ;)

This is totally 100% inspired by Gena and Surgicalsense. Their tanks, Hype's tank, and SouthFLTron's are the reason I got into the hobby again as a reef instead of FOWLR.

You guys have given me the fricking bug and I have graduated to a total of 3 tanks in less then a year! :lol:

The last 2 were His idea as he liked the 40B look then found this one for free so gave him it too! OHHHHH Maybe make this my clown breeding tank? Nah I like the other one better they need a BB glass tank etc.

So much to do and order! So excited!

I'm totally in LOVE with that rock scape!!!!!!! I need to go look for your new thread :)

Are you placing this tank near the 40 or in a totally different area of the house?

Thanks it officially has a thread. I put it here rather then the Nano forum as it is way easier for me to keep up when their together. ;)

This is totally 100% inspired by Gena and Surgicalsense. Their tanks, Hype's tank, and SouthFLTron's are the reason I got into the hobby again as a reef instead of FOWLR.

You guys have given me the fricking bug and I have graduated to a total of 3 tanks in less then a year! :lol:

The last 2 were His idea as he liked the 40B look then found this one for free so gave him it too! OHHHHH Maybe make this my clown breeding tank? Nah I like the other one better they need a BB glass tank etc.

So much to do and order! So excited!

You'll soon have to rename the rooms in your house if you continue that way ... Fish room I is also the kitchen, Fishroom II is also the living room, Fishroom III is also the dining room etc ... :-)

Go for it ... It is going to look real good for sure .. I just know it ... !

You'll soon have to rename the rooms in your house if you continue that way ... Fish room I is also the kitchen, Fishroom II is also the living room, Fishroom III is also the dining room etc ... :-)

:lol: So true, Albert!!!!! For many of us, I'm sure ;)

Funny ins't it but yes it is so true .. and then you have the ones that are on window ledges, and others in the most unusual places ... reminds me of the old days when I used to have so many tanks set up that with all the MH's I was using that my electric bill became scandalously high on top of it ... of course since those were the Thiel Aqua Tech days it was a business expense, but still ...

Thanks! We are going to put black sand in there it was the Hubbie's call I am making this HIS tank with many of the things, like the softies we put in there and final call on the fish.

I talked to him and he agrees on the 3 pairs of teeny tiny gobies and a Possum wrasse. We just have to decide on the guys. I know it'll be awesome I just an so excited! And so is he funny, after everything with the big tank he is all into this one as well! And is telling me to order the media basket etc and do what I want LMAO

So much changes in a year! :happy:

Anyone have any input on what LED strips I should add (Talked to Gena) for better color, they are all white but a total of 6 blues. I was thinking a strip or purple and reds on the front and back but I have no idea when it comes to these things! < Calling the Jedi Master! :ninja: per Mrs. Gena!

Well how nice to be "TheCandyLandReefKeepingTeam" ....

jedimasterben
reminds me of the old days when I used to have so many tanks set up that with all the MH's I was using that my electric bill became scandalously high on top of it ...

Zeph's is probably still higher. :lol:

Zeph's is probably still higher. :lol:

Yes I am sure he is as the cost of electricity in the NY area is probably astronomical to what it was in the days that I was referring to when I was in CT and then in NM

I'm totally in LOVE with that rock scape!!!!!!! I need to go look for your new thread :)

Are you placing this tank near the 40 or in a totally different area of the house?

Right next to it! Have some DSLR Pics but he is going to build a ATO container on wheels and it will go on that in the end but for now it is on the table I used to place my Testing supplies on.

Go for it ... It is going to look real good for sure .. I just know it ... !

HAHA well since their all in 1 room for now I am okay!

:P

HAHA well since their all in 1 room for now I am okay!

Well when you get a few more that' when the "now where do I put this one" starts and pretty soon it will look like you are running " a fish store " ... but I guess you are sticking to the 3 your have for now ...

Well when you get a few more that' when the "now where do I put this one" starts and pretty soon it will look like you are running " a fish store " ... but I guess you are sticking to the 3 your have for now ...

For now! Yes man IDK how I will keep up with both!

Tested the params yesterday in prep for the clammy and all is awesome! Mag is a little high but that's all good!

And the Amazon deposit hit this AM so I am getting him today! Clammy time! B)

Archived