Top Shelf Aquatics

Animalmaster6's Box Of Nothing! :D

animalmaster6

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would feed every other day if that's not too much for them. I dunno. I feel like it just wouldn't be enough light.

The most often I've seen/heard is once a week, so idk. Maybe if you did, just try twice a week and go from there? Also, I don't know what your budget is, but I found a strip light hood for 5.5 gallon tanks that's passable for AGA 2.5s for about $20 shipped and a bulb would be <$15. It's not the best light temp for making the colors pop, but mine's doing fine with it and the weekly(ish. I've been busy and sick and have managed ever 10 days or so) feedings of about 8-10 mysis.

Well Petco just started their $1 per gallon sale :)

I really prefer finding out about those after they're over... :ninja::scarry:

animalmaster6

Good news for you guys but terrible news for me. :P

I broke my thumb so no soccer or drums for 6 1/2 weeks and the cost comes off in 3 1/2 weeks so no gaming until then. Sooooo, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time moving and doing aquariums so you'll see a lot of that in the near future.

animalmaster6

Happy 4th!

With some thought I decided what I will do. I will make the 7.5g my living room display tank with multiple gobies and barnacle blennies with high end zoas, SPS, and acans.

I ended up deciding to do the rack of aquariums with just fish (and maybe exotic inverts). I realized that I would rather have more fish and different fish than a display tank with corals that looks nice. I don't know how to do this yet so I plan on reading up on how to do attach multiple tanks through one system. I may just do individual tanks but I'm not sure yet. I'll probably end up doing multiple 10 gallons, two or three 20Ls, and the 40B. Yes I plan on using the 40B in the rack system! I may just sell it to get some money for this system but I'd like to use it to house a larger scorp or two.

That's where I'm at right now. Like I said, I need to do a lot of reading and planning (Google Sketchup FTW!) but I'm doing the rack system.

Good to have a plan! :)

What animals to you want to keep in the rack system besides a scorp? Do you have an idea of what you want to do for the plumbing?

Maybe you want to look into a part of the system to be one of those tanks that is separated into a few different cubes, like LFS tanks?

animalmaster6
Good to have a plan! :)

What animals to you want to keep in the rack system besides a scorp? Do you have an idea of what you want to do for the plumbing?

Maybe you want to look into a part of the system to be one of those tanks that is separated into a few different cubes, like LFS tanks?

All sorts of different things except for corals. The reason I'm doing this instead of a display 40B is because I want to have diversity. It'll probably just be fish but maybe I'll add a couple 1 gallon tanks to the system for non fish safe/reef safe inverts. I'll come up with a list of fish i definitely want to try. I've really wanted a Leopard Toby lately :D I'm going to a ton of gobies tho. I'll have some in the 7.5g display but I want to try and observe as many as possible.

I really have very little ideas on how to plumb one giant system. I haven't done much reading yet, though.

That's what I'd like to do but that could make it even more complicated.

That's what I'd like to do but that could make it even more complicated.

If you did that, would you build it out of tanks you already own or get a used one from a LFS?

Bongo Shrimp

AM- Do you know why I have three different SW tanks? So I can keep all the different things that won't go together! I have found that this works well because I have the high energy reef for fast fish and coral (but only SPS for now), the lagoon environment for slow movers and my purple sponge which dominates all, and the tide pool for whatever else I want (currently carpet anemones). Unless you are talking really big fish or something or jellyfish, you can pretty much do anything with three tanks on the separate "biotopes". Plus it doesn't look LFSish.

animalmaster6
If you did that, would you build it out of tanks you already own or get a used one from a LFS?

I dunno xD

If I can get a used one from a LFS that would be really convenient. The only thing is I need a way to separate some tanks.

AM- Do you know why I have three different SW tanks? So I can keep all the different things that won't go together! I have found that this works well because I have the high energy reef for fast fish and coral (but only SPS for now), the lagoon environment for slow movers and my purple sponge which dominates all, and the tide pool for whatever else I want (currently carpet anemones). Unless you are talking really big fish or something or jellyfish, you can pretty much do anything with three tanks on the separate "biotopes". Plus it doesn't look LFSish.

This is why I love having separate systems too!

But I think AM's on a budget and don't want just another display tank, so a big system with several tanks would work better

I dunno xD

If I can get a used one from a LFS that would be really convenient. The only thing is I need a way to separate some tanks.

You could use acrylic/plastic with holes, or screening, if separating larger fish you could even just use eggcrate, if you don't mind lower flow you could use glass baffles like in a sump but the water level would get progressively lower

Actually, since my LFS is moving in more tanks/doing construction atm I can take pictures of plumbing and different set ups for you

Bongo Shrimp

But I think AM's on a budget and don't want just another display tank, so a big system with several tanks would work better

No I know. What I'm trying to say is you don't need 30 tanks to be able to accommodate just about everything you will want. Ok maybe not just 3 like me but not necessarily a huge rack system. It could be cheaper to just plumb together 3 or 4.

No I know. What I'm trying to say is you don't need 30 tanks to be able to accommodate just about everything you will want. Ok maybe not just 3 like me but not necessarily a huge rack system. It could be cheaper to just plumb together 3 or 4.

I think 3 or 4 was his original plan? Yes that would be cheaper and easier, idk how much separation/how many areas AM wants, it could start with 3 or 4 and if using larger tanks could be separated later if he wanted to add more

animalmaster6

You see, I just won't be able to afford 3 different displays :( That's why I'm going to do one super nice display tank with low cost observation tanks that don't look great. TBH, i'm much more into fish than corals. I love corals of course, but I'd rather have a large amount of fish. The fish tank look won't look terrible. I'm having various macros and LR designs in each tank. I just won't have corals lol.

You could use acrylic/plastic with holes, or screening, if separating larger fish you could even just use eggcrate, if you don't mind lower flow you could use glass baffles like in a sump but the water level would get progressively lower

Actually, since my LFS is moving in more tanks/doing construction atm I can take pictures of plumbing and different set ups for you

Until my music career starts making me monayyy I won't be making any :D I don't wanna have some stop and shop or normal job like that. I've got tons of stuff going on that will be getting me money soon (that's an explanation for another time :lol: ) but atm I don't have an income.

I like that idea using eggcrate. I do kind of want separate tanks though. For example, one tank will have multiple gobies and passive fish. One tank will have just a toby, another tank will have a couple fairy wrasses with shrimp and gobies. Something like that lol.

That would be awesome. I would really appreciate that. :happy:

There's only going to be like 3 ten gallons and a 20L or two. I may add the 40B as well.

I think 3 or 4 was his original plan? Yes that would be cheaper and easier, idk how much separation/how many areas AM wants, it could start with 3 or 4 and if using larger tanks could be separated later if he wanted to add more

Yep.

Bongo Shrimp

BTW with a separated system like mine, you can run different temps. For example my reef runs hot (got to cool it down a lot) like 78*, I don't even run a heater right now in my lagoon tank 74* 73*, and the tide pool stays around 77*.

That would be awesome. I would really appreciate that. :happy:

There's only going to be like 3 ten gallons and a 20L or two. I may add the 40B as well.

Np :) I also happen to work there so I hope my experiences with rack systems may be able to help you

Are you going to have a sump?

animalmaster6
BTW with a separated system like mine, you can run different temps. For example my reef runs hot (got to cool it down a lot) like 78*, I don't even run a heater right now in my lagoon tank 74* 73*, and the tide pool stays around 77*.

That's where I'm wondering if I want to do separate systems. I kind of want a CW tank.

Np :) I also happen to work there so I hope my experiences with rack systems may be able to help you

Are you going to have a sump?

I don't want to but I'll probably end up having to do a sump. I may just do all seperate systems with one powerhead and a heater in each.

Bongo Shrimp

Another benefit of the separate systems is that you can treat them separately, or move the livestock out of one and fix any issues with it... I can go on.

It's like the situation at the LFS where one fish has ich in a rack system but its a rack system so the whole thing is affected.

animalmaster6
This is a cool idea...get to work!

:P

Another benefit of the separate systems is that you can treat them separately, or move the livestock out of one and fix any issues with it... I can go on.

It's like the situation at the LFS where one fish has ich in a rack system but its a rack system so the whole thing is affected.

Eh, you do make a point. I think it would be too expensive though.

Bongo Shrimp

Eh, you do make a point. I think it would be too expensive though.

But possibly more expensive if everything dies cause one got ich...

**Just sayin**

animalmaster6
But possibly more expensive if everything dies cause one got ich...

**Just sayin**

You actually gave me the idea of doing one system even more :lol: I could do a separate system QT tank and have all the displays as one system :lol:

Bongo Shrimp

You actually gave me the idea of doing one system even more :lol: I could do a separate system QT tank and have all the displays as one system :lol:

That went way over your head. aug08_031.gif

Archived