SaltCritters.com

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

Well polyp extension is good..... IDK mine never got mad.

Got scared on Sunday when I asked the Husband to trim the frag plug on the Birdie and when he made the first cut into the plastic plug it just fell off the base! :eek: SO then I had to glue it to the Rock but it wouldn't stay, finally I got it to stay, then I looked at the plug and there was still a good CM of living tissue on there so he trimmed that down more and I put it in there 2. So I inadvertently fragged the Birdsnest... but all seems well.

Their tougher then I thought, I would just let it be in the spot it's at, keep feeding it and wait a month or 2 unless it looks bad.

Flatworms can PO acros too can't they?

Birdies are tougher than acros, and yours was healthy when you bought it, mine already had STN when I got it -_- it's been an uphill battle. I don't have a lot of hope for it. I'd like to get it to grow an inch or two, get a good frag of non sick coral and discard the rest.

Certain kinds of flatworms, but not this kind :) they just like mushrooms, ricordeas, some LPS like bubble coral, and BTA's (I think). I'm already noticing a lesser number of them today.

Just how I like it. Tron's is like 54364x my size anyways,

This:

TwkDJ.jpg

Is better. :Djust saying.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SPS pismo is sending will be more healthy and easier to care for. I'm looking forward to getting some good SPS experience under my belt. :)

Man, Im sad for you as of late....all this stuff happening. Stick through it man, have you tried dipping your mushies?

I'd have to tear down the entire rock work to get that piece. The worms are commensal so I'm not worried. I like the diversity I have. I have too much money in this tank to give up and my experience hasn't been that bad comparatively. I'm not depressed anymore, no need to be sad :)

Understood, getting past a hump in the hobby is the worst but once you do it feels good. glad your stayin positive man. And yes I did see they are commensal worms, however if you do end up having a problem in the long run an airline tube to blow some bubbles on them to close up and a scalpal will do you well, just cut a sliver of rock off unstead of cutting through the corals footing. Lol who am I kidding, im sure you've fragged softs before :P. And diversity is a great thing.

Just out of curiosity, when you made your rock. What materials were used? How long did you let it cycle for before housing it with live stock? Trying to think of what could make all these things happen in such a short period :(

I had some humps with my first reef, worst was a rogue black brittle star reaching almost 2' in diameter and eating fish ($300-400 worth :eek:). So this hump isn't so bad, it just sucked because I couldn't point at one thing and say, "this is why it happened."

Since the worms can only live on coral what I could do maybe is just flip them off. I don't think they can survive without the coral.

Surprisingly I've not fragged mushrooms before. I've done pretty much all the other softies and a birdsnest. I'm pretty new to fragging. When you have a 75 gallon you let things grow out a lot more before you think about fragging.

The scape is PVC, base rock, pfs, ge1 silicone, gorilla glue, glass, and reef safe epoxy. Cured for 72 hours before getting wet. Livestock was a transferred two days after the new sand and structure was added. It ran for a little over a month before the flame and rest were added. It wasn't a cycle problem, it was a disease I'm positive. Valuable lesson in why QT's are good and we push forward :)

Wow I didnt realize your tank was a 75 haha oops, makes sense not to frag, although the techniques are always handy for dips when you've aquired a coral hosting pest.

here is a good read for softs in general, between this and another local teaching me to frag in her 320 w/ 90 gal frag tank I've learned alot over the last months http://zoaid.com/articles003.php

Yea I have to agree, quarantines are necessary.Disease...parasites....pests. I use my water change water as my qt tank water unless its polluted, no reason to make extra water when its overskimmed clean water just low on calc(420 vs 440 after water change) & alk 9dkh vs 10dkh.

Sorry for the confusion, my first reef which I had from 2002-2007 (approximate) was a 75 gallon.

This one now is 40. I will upgrade to the 75 which is empty in the garage now when I move into an apartment for law school.

lol sorry im not up to the times :P however...now that I said it I want some tacos....

oh ok joel i gotcha :D sorry if im hijacking talkin bout yummy goodness in a tortilla shell...

How much have you read of my thread? It's easily 75% off topic fun. I like off topic :) continue away!

I'm not a big fan of fish tacos though. I like chicken and beef tacos. B)

After three months my tank will be clean, no coral were affected, and I'm seriously considering no fish until upgrade :)

Pismo is also sending coral dip I think.

Everything will be sorted out by then.

After three months my tank will be clean, no coral were affected, and I'm seriously considering no fish until upgrade :)

Pismo is also sending coral dip I think.

Everything will be sorted out by then.

Oh so you're playing Pismo and I off one another to get free chit!

I see how it is.

You told me you loved me...in a PM.

...clam to taco contact has been made!

pssssh in the city...you must reef to survive, joel sold tortillas on the corner and the siwelk wanted in..ahh why are you doing this to me what happened. Hey I dunno who this guy is but...

Archived