Cultivated Reef

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

I would hate to see this tank not have a fish, it's been so active. Just sucks I would be so frustrated losing that all in the course of 24 hours.

Still though the corals are happy, and the New stressed fish is still alive so it shouldn't be your water, or something weird in there. Probably just set the balance out of wack and it all went crazy for a day.

As always Joel keep your head up and be cheerful, it'll work itself out. :flower:

If I get fish it will be something like 10 Chromis. I'm not going to spend a lot of money on fish yet :lol:

I think its more common that they die then you would think. I personally know a lot of people and have heard even more about their flames dying. Possibly due to the age of your tank?

Don't think so, I would have thought that but its close proximity to the other fish deaths makes me think disease.

That always seems to be how it goes. My cichlids had been great (other than one or two losses from some aggression) and I didn't lose a single fish when I had my freshwater tank in Gainesville. Then my saltwater tank had that brooklynella outbreak and I lost 4 fish.

And don't sulk anymore. Your tank still kicks @$$. I've been thoroughly reading your thread for ideas for my upgrade since our tanks are now similar dimensions. I hope my upgrade looks even half as awesome as yours turned out. :D

You thinking about DIY scape? :)

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joel,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I wish I could offer an answer but I'm still too new to all this. Just don't give up, keep the faith. I hope you'll find out what the problem is and you don't loose your last remaining fish.

Sometimes I wonder if we try too hard to keep our tanks healthy and try to do too much with them. Mother nature will determine the fate of all living creatures despite what we may or may not do. Perhaps it's best to step back a bit and go back to the basics. I know that's what I did when I ran into problems with my freshwater fish room and hatchery.

Keep us posted and I surely hope you'll find out what's causing this issue.

You thinking about DIY scape? :)

Probably not anything as complex as yours. I just plan to buy dry rock from BulkReefSupply and take my time getting it right. I kind of just threw the rocks in the 10 gallon without doing much scaping. I didn't know how long live rock could be out of the water and I hurried trying to get it in the tank. This time I'll break pieces down and actually use epoxy and glue to get a scape I like. I just have to figure out how to incorporate my current live rock once I'm ready to transfer that over. They're big pieces and I may want to break them down, but they have lots of coral attached. Maybe they won't look so big in the new bigger tank. We'll see how it goes.

They won't look as big in the new tank. And do as much work dry, doing it underwater is a lot harder.

That's what she said.

They won't look as big in the new tank. And do as much work dry, doing it underwater is a lot harder.

That's what she said.

Haha :P

Yeah the only issue is that the live rock will have to be scaped underwater because I need to set up the dry rock and sand cycling before I can move everything over. I'm hoping I can leave them each in one piece and somehow just set them into the scape.

Try something very hardy at first. You have alot of room. It doesn't have to be an exotic fish, you know like a pole dancing fish. You want a chromis or two or three they are cheap. Are they sturdy? Or try an ordinary clown pair. Even I haven't killed mine yet!

Chromis are pretty hardy. And cheap. The problem is I'm doing my best to keep fish I've not had before and I had a school in my 75. Since it was my first reef my tank was literally all of the beginner fish. So finding easy fish I've not had before is getting harder. :(

B)

Another idea I've toyed with is goby city. Just like 50 neon gobies everywhere. 50 is probably too much for a 75 but whatever the max my system could take.

Those are easy fish I've not kept before. :)

Flame from one place, clowns and anthias from another, and the starry from the other :lol:

Copy that. I figured as much.

I 2nd the QT idea for future implementation.

I'm glad you are officially done sulking!!!! :) (trust me, I would have been the same). Before I give fish suggestions...I need to know if the lobster is going to pose a threat to small fish?

I'm glad you are officially done sulking!!!! :) (trust me, I would have been the same). Before I give fish suggestions...I need to know if the lobster is going to pose a threat to small fish?

It says that it's a threat to small ornamental shrimp but not healthy fish. I don't know though. The flame slept in his hole the whole time and even when it was dead there wasn't a mark on him.

I would go with either a school of chromies or your goby paradise!

Just make sure you get the bigger sizes, it will make them a bit more hardy.

So glad your scheming what new fish to get. Just watch that lobster, or you could go aggressive and get the :ninja: like you were talking about..........

grandmasterbakka

dude, this is terrible news. especially sad to hear about the blenny. how's the lobster been? are they prone to attack fish or are you sure as to what happened at all?

SouthFlorida_Tron

jesus, i keep getting 30 emails a minute from 3 certain threads yet every time i come in, i dont ever see pictards!?

so what happened? fish jumped?

I would go with either a school of chromies or your goby paradise!

Just make sure you get the bigger sizes, it will make them a bit more hardy.

So glad your scheming what new fish to get. Just watch that lobster, or you could go aggressive and get the :ninja: like you were talking about..........

:ninja: isn't out of the question. :)

dude, this is terrible news. especially sad to hear about the blenny. how's the lobster been? are they prone to attack fish or are you sure as to what happened at all?

Thanks man, lobster is fine. I had to move the zoa colony away from the Yuma and now you can see him real well. I hope he doesn't move because of that. My best guess at this point is the blenny just jumped for no good reason and a disease wiped out my fish. I think it was one of the clowns that had it. How's your tank man?

jesus, i keep getting 30 emails a minute from 3 certain threads yet every time i come in, i dont ever see pictards!?

so what happened? fish jumped?

I was the same way, between mine, gena's, and Danielle's I was getting like 150-200 emails a day. You can unsubscribe from emails to certain threads if you want though. For threads I watch like mine, yours, genas, Danielles, hypes, etc. that are usually on the front page I unsubscribed from because I'll see it here without needing an email. Just a thought, because it was getting frustrating clearing out my email, now I get about 1-5 a day.

One jumped, the rest (except the anthias) died very suddenly with no visible signs of disease. I observe my tank at least 30 minutes a day, usually more and I would have noticed a change in behavior. Everyone was eating great. No aggression. So now the plan is to basically let the tank recover and then think about adding some fish in several weeks.

I never subscribed to any threads cuz I wasn't sure how to do it. I guess I should be glad I didn't!!!!! That would be way too many emails! I'm still wondering how you put someone on your friend list. And what exactly that does?

I think the blenny was spooked by the Flame chasing the Anthias. He may have been trying to get in on the action too but got a little too rambunctious. I know it was an accident. He didn't mean to do it!!!!

The others I'd have to say disease. I can't figure out why else they would have up and died.

How's the cleaner doing?

how is that rock that you got for xmas?

I've been in Cincinnati all day visiting family, I got home like 30 minutes ago so I've not seen the tank today. So I don't know. It's awesome looking and will be perfect for pismo's frags coming this week. :)

I never subscribed to any threads cuz I wasn't sure how to do it. I guess I should be glad I didn't!!!!! That would be way too many emails! I'm still wondering how you put someone on your friend list. And what exactly that does?

I think the blenny was spooked by the Flame chasing the Anthias. He may have been trying to get in on the action too but got a little too rambunctious. I know it was an accident. He didn't mean to do it!!!!

The others I'd have to say disease. I can't figure out why else they would have up and died.

How's the cleaner doing?

The subbing was automatic when I joined. I've since gotten rid of it. Don't think the list does anything lol.

You guess on the fish makes sense. :)

Don't know on the cleaner. I'm assuming well though.

In other news, I'm still immature:

3rKn4.jpg

It's a town on the drive there. :lol:

Archived