SaltCritters.com

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

Okay, good/bad news. The anthias died some time while I was gone. Bad news because it's always unfortunate when you lose fish. Good news because there's no more fish to lose, I can raise the tank temperature and whip whatever is in tank.

DI, I had ever intention to get a sample to analyze under the microscope but the cuc/lobster/shrimp only left the skeleton.

New FTS with Mark's freaking awesome christmas gift:

qtVQh.jpg

Somewhat decent zoa photo:

qHN5r.jpg

New feeding apparatus:

N6Xy3.jpg

Mark, you told me to update you with the way it worked. In a word: amazingly. As you can see I'm not using the long needle, rather, the tube the needle came in. It fits right on the 2oz syringe. I noticed a much better feeding response in everything. I felt like no food was wasted. I assume you got these from your work? Where ever you got them you should get them for yourself. They are perfect for the job and much better than other spot feeders because you can see how much volume you're using to prevent over feeding. Thanks again for all the awesome.

Also, is anyone else seeing weird things like this?

lYgwx.jpg

InRBa.jpg

I have peoples' avatars just popping up here there and everywhere. :lol:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
grandmasterbakka

dang, i didn't realize blennys were jumpers. my tank's doing great, man. the last two weeks i've only changed 1 gallon a week and my nitrates are reading under 5ppm. i'm hoping it's a combination of the deeper sand bed and caulerpa forest i've got going on. my piece of monti has almost doubled in size, and the zoa frag you got me is now twice as big as when it started. i've got a xenia for you, i'm just waiting for it to get large enough for me to move to a piece of rubble. i want to see some more growth on the monti before i try to frag it for you. wanna able to break off a piece large enough that you can tell it's a coral. hahaha haven't seen any growth in my gorg and my mushrooms are pissed as ever. cannot figure out why they're so unhappy.

jon-stewart-crap-trade.jpg

DPsaI.gif

dang, i didn't realize blennys were jumpers. my tank's doing great, man. the last two weeks i've only changed 1 gallon a week and my nitrates are reading under 5ppm. i'm hoping it's a combination of the deeper sand bed and caulerpa forest i've got going on. my piece of monti has almost doubled in size, and the zoa frag you got me is now twice as big as when it started. i've got a xenia for you, i'm just waiting for it to get large enough for me to move to a piece of rubble. i want to see some more growth on the monti before i try to frag it for you. wanna able to break off a piece large enough that you can tell it's a coral. hahaha haven't seen any growth in my gorg and my mushrooms are pissed as ever. cannot figure out why they're so unhappy.

Awesome news all on counts man! I'm not sure what my monti is doing, I think it might be finally coming back. I'm jut glad now that the fish phase in over. I already set the heater higher.

You going to make it to JP's tomorrow?

Okay I'm glad someone else is experiencing it and it not being a sign that it's about to die. I'm just paranoid now that everything is going to die lol.

Okay thanks :) it was my first time spot feeding and it got a lot more food than it ever has. On the whole everything seemed to like spot feeding though :)

Maybe the FS is bulimic? Sorry...bad joke :lol:

I think it's common. Looks familiar to me :)

I haven't noticed any avatars popping up in weird places. I wonder what's up with that?

Ha, I liked it :)

Okay good, I'm glad it's common. I hate having new things I'm not familiar with. I'm going to be a wreck when pismo's stuff gets here :lol:

This threads going to turn into 20 questions real fast.

Of course you did not simply walk into a supply closet :ninja::lol: they are perfect for the job though.

I don't get how you can work with those smaller needles, those things are so sharp!

I'm feeding two types of phytoplankton- PhytoPlex by Kent Marine and Phytochrom by Brightwell Aquatics and two types of zooplankton- Zooplex by Kent Marine (thanks even more as my old bottle of Zooplex is almost empty) and Zooplanktos-L by Brightwell Aquatics. The Brightwell products I feel are superior. They have wider food particle sizes and a wider variety of food in them. Also, BW products are half the cost.

I feed the soft corals the phytoplankton and my froggy, acro, and cleaner shrimp get the zooplankton, the cleaner sat in front of it like a hamster :lol:

I turn off the equipment and I feed like 10-15ml of each kind and let it stew for about 20-30 minutes then turn it all back on.

Looks like it's either sliming or pooping. Should be fine. ;)

Okay good :)

Sorry about the anthias man, but now you can be sure the tank is pest free when you get your new fish!

Tank looks great, love that rock from your secret santa! Nice!

Wow you really feed your corals! I just gave the froggie a piece of shrimp per mouth the other day! So cool to watch it eat!

I figure as long as my params stay zeroed I can feed this heavy. Now that I have no fish I can feed even more. :) I've not fed it anything big like shrimp but it seems to like the zooplankton.

Sorry about the anthias man, but now you can be sure the tank is pest free when you get your new fish!

Tank looks great, love that rock from your secret santa! Nice!

It's okay, the fish deaths are over now. The rebuilding is next.

And yeah, Mark really hit his present out of the park. I was concerned when I opened it because it's pretty big but I really like the depth the new scape has. I can also move the tree back about an inch to make more front space.

Not a WHOLE shrimp, just a piece I cut for it, like small cubes. LOVED IT! I mean really chowed, I figure I don't have to spot feed it as it's fat now, I can feed it once a month or every 3 weeks like that and it was growing before I even fed it. SO I guess I have food in the water column from feeding the fish.....

I really do like the added scape in the tank, it will give you more room for coral placement, and more room for fish to hide from each other. That's what the wrasse is doing, he pops his head around the corner before darting back into another cave to avoid the blenny. Goofy critters.

Of course you did not simply walk into a supply closet :ninja::lol: they are perfect for the job though.

I don't get how you can work with those smaller needles, those things are so sharp!

I'm feeding two types of phytoplankton- PhytoPlex by Kent Marine and Phytochrom by Brightwell Aquatics and two types of zooplankton- Zooplex by Kent Marine (thanks even more as my old bottle of Zooplex is almost empty) and Zooplanktos-L by Brightwell Aquatics. The Brightwell products I feel are superior. They have wider food particle sizes and a wider variety of food in them. Also, BW products are half the cost.

I feed the soft corals the phytoplankton and my froggy, acro, and cleaner shrimp get the zooplankton, the cleaner sat in front of it like a hamster :lol:

I turn off the equipment and I feed like 10-15ml of each kind and let it stew for about 20-30 minutes then turn it all back on.

Okay good :)

I'm so glad it worked for you! I wasn't sure if any of it would work at all. I did get some for myself, so if I get corals that need spot feeding I'll be set. At some point I might get some of those non photo sun corals to put in the shade.

Trust me needles come much smaller and MUCh biggetr but they are all sharp!

I hope that little structure works well as a frag rock for ya!

You should feed the coral you have now, they don't require it but you'll see an improvement in color and growth. B)

The structure is going to be perfect. :)

I do, I spot feed them Rods once a week with the pumps off.

I need a better tool........

When I started that my Zoas started to pop out a head a week. Really cool.

Just don't think I need to worry about the frog that much as I can give him hunks of meat. :happy:

Trying to keep low nutrient as I had that algae issue, and I don't want it coming back.....

LOL More! Ha my fish are all pot bellies! And I plan on getting the goby like that soon too!

Archived