Pod Your Reef

March's 15g. Taking the tank down

Reef Casa

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:( Mr clam lost his footing and fell over by the time I noticed and placed him upright he wasnt looking so hot he died 2 days later

I was emotionally attached to that coral I miss him

wow sorry to hear that man. i have lost coral that i was pretty attached to as well. each piece is kinda like a pet of its own

:( Mr clam lost his footing and fell over by the time I noticed and placed him upright he wasnt looking so hot he died 2 days later

That sucks man, sorry to hear about the clam. I want one one day. So they like to relocate a lot huh?

Can you tell me what type of live rock, number of pieces are joined together and lbs.? I'd appreciate it.

Are you planning on a new clam soon? Or staying a widow for now... :T

I'm so sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me saying so, the reason I asked was because the picture I saw of him (re posted below) was because to me he showed signs of pinched mantle disease. I'm certainly no expert, let me get my friend Zeph to take a look. But If it is PM, you would have to be careful when adding any more maximas as the pathogen lingers in the water. Are you running any GFO?

mrclamsnewhome.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me saying so, the reason I asked was because the picture I saw of him (re posted below) was because to me he showed signs of pinched mantle disease. I'm certainly no expert, let me get my friend Zeph to take a look. But If it is PM, you would have to be careful when adding any more maximas as the pathogen lingers in the water. Are you running any GFO?

mrclamsnewhome.jpg

That does look like PM; fairly severe as well.

Definitely the dreaded Pinched mantle disease. I will be doing a documantary on PM and the steps needed to rid your system of it. Funny thing is I am realizing the hardest part about getting this pathogen out of your system stems from the new salt we mix for water changes. Im guessing you purchased it from Live aquaria ?? Am I correct??

Maxima carrying PM

20120515152523332.jpg

Gigas carrying PM

20120501151957724.jpg

btw..when a GIGAS gets pinched mantle there is a HEAVY infestation in your system. I remember back in the 90's Barrys clam farm (clamsdirect.com) lost hundreds of clams to pinched mantle..but never a gigas..thery always appeared immune.

. each piece is kinda like a pet of its own

so true

Can you tell me what type of live rock, number of pieces are joined together and lbs.? I'd appreciate it.

Are you planning on a new clam soon? Or staying a widow for now... :T

I have no clue what kind it is I got it for free from a fellow reefer I have about 8 pounds and its just 2 pieces no joints. I think I will b a permanent clam widow lol

Im guessing you purchased it from Live aquaria ?? Am I correct??

I think you guys are right about the pinched mantle. I bought from a LFS it was super healthy when I got it

nor_cal_nano

Alright, alright. The barebottom is kinda growin' on me. Just keep it clean...okay? :lol:

Tank is still looking good and I like the transformation of that island on the right. This tank is a huge inspiration for my next build. I hope it looks half as nice as this system.

thanks nor cal!

The little rock on the right has been driving my nuts for as long as I can remember but I going to devote the next couple months to it and really make something special

some new blue zoos

IMG_4761-2.jpg

nor_cal_nano

That's too funny man. I'm having the same problem with my island on the right too. Only difference is mine still looks like crap.

I actually tore everything off the smaller rock I'm going to build it up again from the ground up I really really wasn't happy with it anymore

teamschreiba
I actually tore everything off the smaller rock I'm going to build it up again from the ground up I really really wasn't happy with it anymore

Good luck with the rescape! I'm sure it'll look great, I know I was so much happier after I did mine. It's almost like having a whole new tank :lol:

Good luck with the rescape! I'm sure it'll look great, I know I was so much happier after I did mine. It's almost like having a whole new tank :lol:

:D

when can i eat at trons?

lol you missed it was last weekend

i wanna see the new scape!!!

I'll do a photo update soon. basically just stripped the little rock

kranky1188

wow!! very nice set up...can you please tell me where did you get those light clamps? I just got 2 12k and one 20k par38 from ecoxotic and 3 reef clamps from boostled...the problem is that they don't look as tall as yours and when I place the par38 bulbs on the clamps the distance from water surface and the bulb is like 5 to 7 inches and I heard that this par38 are pretty strong and they need to be at least 12''inches above the surface of the water...I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out so pleace help me''

OK

I think I have received this question close to about 20 times now on the thread and through PM

This is how I did mounted my lights for my tank

I got the lights from a little company called Ikea

ikea1.jpg

Full shotlersta-reading-floor-lamp__61420_PE167788_S4.jpg

Like all other things from Ikea you have to assemble it!

The lamp is made up of two rods the shroud on top and the base on the bottom

What you cant see is the in the middle there is a line and the two rods are connected by a double sided screw kind of thingy

Basically I just use the the upper half of the lamp and toss the rest

I drilled 3 holes into the back of my stand to hold the rods

How it looks behind the tank

IMG_9921.jpg

diagram1-1.jpg

I thought the little rock was fantastic. Why you tear it it down?

Look back at the TOTM shot

FinalFts.jpg

Basically I think the main rocks is awesome full of different pieces shapes colors etc

The little rock is colorful but if you really look at it its just 2 large blue and red mushrooms taking up almost all the space

lots of green monti which I already have on the main rock and one other orange/ brown sps which has died :(. there was also a dull red digi and some bleh regular zoos

the acans are on the floor and so is the favia

I want to do something special with it. I"m thinking about covering it with different zoos and then having some unique sps frags branching out here and there and keeping the acans to the bottom left

It was driving me nuts. the little rock looked ridiculous next the main one and it lost any meaning it had for me so I knew it was time to start again. I never really gave it the attention I gave the main one I kind of just glued loose frags and random pieces here and there without any real thought. When i'm done I hope it will b on par with the big one.

I have no doubt it's gonna be sick. You can send some of the coral you don't want over this way lol :P

will do ;)

L.A Lakers

IMG_4807.jpg

guess whos not fragging zoos without goggles from now on?

What happened?

BTW those look amazing bud.

Archived