SaltCritters.com

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

blizzardscout2

I have Oakley prescription glasses with contrast lens that make the colors pop just like that. Now occasionally I will sit and watch the tank at night with them. 😎 

17 hours ago, Asureef said:

Why pay for reef viewing glasses when you can DIY!!  

I bought some filter sheets on amazon for like $12 to use with my camera/smartphone, they came in 2x 12x12 so I had plenty to play with.  

Used a old pair of cinema 3d glasses, pulled the lens off'em.  

I know the clarity sucks in the photo, but IRL it's insane!!

w464Pd.jpg

JwSvZp.jpg

Very nice, link to the sheets you bought, if you don't mind?

7 minutes ago, moosubi said:

Very nice, link to the sheets you bought, if you don't mind?

They’re $14.99, but there’s one similar for less.  The orange filter is so-so.. it has a slight haze so I ended up using the yellow filter which looks even cooler!!   Under some actinic, I could stare at my tank for hours, makes everything pop! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Z58CH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.dG6AbRVQMS75

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Asureef said:

They’re $14.99, but there’s one similar for less.  The orange filter is so-so.. it has a slight haze so I ended up using the yellow filter which looks even cooler!!   Under some actinic, I could stare at my tank for hours, makes everything pop! 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Z58CH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.dG6AbRVQMS75

Much appreciated, cheers!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 2:12 AM, Zuma said:

Beautiful tank, those Monti's are awesome.

Thanks!  

My SC orange passion growth. 

5RdDq8.jpg

uiQ2H1.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, Asureef said:

uiQ2H1.jpg

That's amazing 7 month growth!  Is the center of the colony the original frag stump?  If so, have you thought about trimming the top off of it to encourage the center to grow vertically?  

30 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

That's amazing 7 month growth!  Is the center of the colony the original frag stump?  If so, have you thought about trimming the top off of it to encourage the center to grow vertically?  

Yeah it is, barely any growth.  It’s just been encrusting and throwing out branches.  I haven’t considered that yet, but I might.

Oh wow, looks like I've been using the wrong lens.  I've been using my tamron 28-75mm meant for a canon on my Sony with adapter because it has the capability to zoom.  I just took a shot of the same orange passion with my Sony 35mm prime, the difference is night and day.  The clarity and color is much better!  

It's only been a week between the shots and there's definitely some growth.   Sorry, the PE isn't fully out because I was blowing all the sand off it.  My lennardi wrasse has been spitting sand all over the place.  

QppR03.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2

Beautiful!  Seeing more and more colony pics of the Orange Passion, a sure sign it's a keeper!  How many 'high end' acros do we see where no one ever posts a colony shot?  I assume the either don't grow, don't hold color, or die.  OP is a real winner IMO.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Absolutely gorgeous @Asureef! That orange passion is so cool too!

Thanks! 

So, I’ve picked up a new macro lens for my Sony.  It was all funded from the corals I’ve sold the past few months from my tank.

Its only 50mm, but should get me a little closer than what I’ve been able to do.  

7J4Bbs.jpg

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

You know what you are doing from other photos. If you have any focal lengths in 60+ try a close up adaptor kit. 4+ - 10+. You can get some amazing results! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1321853-REG/hoya_a_58cus_ii_58mm_hmc_close_up_filter.html?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxtPYBRD6ARIsAKs1XJ51E8GNQWxC_SdIgxylXbeX1nsZcK3CUhz9ikLrdWOgcznUtrNplzkaAutCEALw_wcB

I’ve been using a adapter, but you’re much more limited in focus length.  With this larger tank, I’m more limited to shooting what’s closer to the glass.  With the 50mm macro, it allows me to get more distance while still getting that magnification.  Preferably, the 90mm macro from Sony would be best, but that’s more than I’m willing to pay for a lens atm.  🙂

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Asureef said:

I’ve been using a adapter, but you’re much more limited in focus length.  With this larger tank, I’m more limited to shooting what’s closer to the glass.  With the 50mm macro, it allows me to get more distance while still getting that magnification.  Preferably, the 90mm macro from Sony would be best, but that’s more than I’m willing to pay for a lens atm.  🙂

No kidding. I use a 75 1.8 manual. Normally use 2x to hit the corals in the back, 4x for closer to the glass. I rented the 90mm for a week. Enjoyed it but pricey for what it does. 

Anyone got any tips on pulling out some better color on the Walt Disney?   

@DaveFason

Mine’s just overall green.  Compared to my OP, it’s a slow grower.  I got them around the same time.  

It’s getting blasted though, 300-350par 7hrs, peak 400-450par 2 1/2hrs.  

fr5SiS.jpg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Asureef said:

Anyone got any tips on pulling out some better color on the Walt Disney?   

@DaveFason

Mine’s just overall green.  Compared to my OP, it’s a slow grower.  I got them around the same time.  

It’s getting blasted though, 300-350par 7hrs, peak 400-450par 2 1/2hrs.  

fr5SiS.jpg

Mine started to do better with less light. ~ 200ish. I do blast it with flow. 

Not the best photo but you get it. I have it grow quick, then halt. 

nanobox6318-16

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Mine started to do better with less light. ~ 200ish. I do blast it with flow. 

Not the best photo but you get it. I have it grow quick, then halt. 

nanobox6318-16

Makes sense, the guy I got it from was only running 6bulbs t5 on his 180g.  

If if I can pull some of that pink/blue out, I’ll be happy.

I got this one when it was a single branch, a few months later, it's still a single branch but bigger.  

It's definitely one of my fav. SPS. 

Awesomely blue! 

DjRpSk.jpg

sgpw7x.jpg

Forgot to add, it's the OG Oregon Tort.  

• Like 5
mitten_reef
27 minutes ago, Asureef said:

I got this one when it was a single branch, a few months later, it's still a single branch but bigger.  

It's definitely one of my fav. SPS. 

Awesomely blue! 

DjRpSk.jpg

sgpw7x.jpg

Forgot to add, it's the OG Oregon Tort.  

Love to see that Oregon tort still gets some love amidst the rainbow/neon/glow craze. 

Good looking growth, looks like it’s ready to throw a bunch of side branches. 

Just can’t beat the classics sometimes!  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Love to see that Oregon tort still gets some love amidst the rainbow/neon/glow craze. 

Good looking growth, looks like it’s ready to throw a bunch of side branches. 

Just can’t beat the classics sometimes!  

Yeah, the only problem with some of these newer "Highend" SPS is that they only look good under intense blue light.  I run 2x blue plus, 1 coral plus, and a purple, so my tank looks 14-16k most of the time.  I had a few people come over to pick up some frags and they always ask me "What's that blue SPS?".

• Like 1

Friday night water change and couldn't help noticing my Orange Passion looking like 🔥🔥🔥

Shot under all blue leds of course.  

ux0tIF.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Here's a cool one I got a little over a month ago. 

It's starting to become my fav. doesn't look like much under daylight, but looks amazing under blues.  

jmo85A.jpg

yx22qr.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1