Coral Vue Hydros

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

just because u seen 1or2 ways that looks like A fire hazard deters u from the concept. There r other ways to skin a cat and make an ats perfectly safe. putting a light over a body of water is a fire hazard in itself no matter how u mount that light. Theres safe people and ghetto people.

i have been adding it to my 70 gallon for about 5 days ...everything in there looks good it hasnt killed the pulsating xenia in there at all ..i am using it a 1ml per 10 gallons

Something terrible has happened, and I don’t know what to think. Came in to the office this morning to find my candy canes and Meteor shower nearly dead (see pics below).

Brown Jelly Disease could be a possibility. The corals got stressed.

Brown Jelly Disease could be a possibility. The corals got stressed.

There's no brown. The skin was burned off the skeleton. However, many/most polyps are coming back: a wee bit extended on the bald skeleton on the Meteor and feeders out/skin growing on the Candies. Very perplexing as to what caused this since other evidence of peroxide - general lightening of coralline, killing red titan macro - is absent.

Maybe peroxide had nothing to do with it & was purely coincidental. My suspicion is something reacted with it and yielded a chemical that selectively attacked the skin of these two corals. What was that something - a residue from food, the Fuel supplement, something in my salt mix, poorly aerated water, toxin emitted by another coral, something odorless in the air of the room or in the tap water used to rinse filter media - I don't know.

Exactly a year ago something very similar happened: skin burned on the candies (didn't have the Meteor then). The night before I had put a sponge soaked in peroxide in the filter without rinsing it and did a 1/10 WC w. water I discovered was "off" (pH of 7.4) after I used it. I was sure the Candies were dead and nearly quit reefing then, but they came back.

The whole thing is a mystery, but I don't indict use of peroxide.

Update on my tank. I will be treating a second time this weekend because few of my rocks still have a good amount of the red wire algae on them. Instead of dipping I'm going to either spray or pour and let them sit for 3-5 minutes. One thing I've noticed is that I'm getting a bloom of diatoms (looks like) and I'm getting some green algae growing on my return nozzle. I also had some green turf algae pop up in my sump, so it makes me wonder if my water change, skimmer and GFO couldn't remove enough of the freed PO4 and NO3 that must be released when the algae dies.

Attached is a pic of the same rock that I've been showing. Sorry that the pic is zoomed in too much. Will update again after treatment.

W

post-69969-1319079923_thumb.jpg

browsing some FW forums and found this.... just an FYI....

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/hydrogen-peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is available everywhere as a 3% solution in distilled water with some stabilizers that may include trace amounts of phosphate and harmless ascorbic acid.

http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquai...e_peroxide.html

Edited by BLoCkCliMbeR

Block that was an interesting read. Its amazing how much freshwater application there is out there and not much if any reef tank application history, Im suprised people took this many years to start trying it in problem reefs. if there is a phosphate import issue, it seems a nice workaround might be to apply it either as a spot treatment or a tankwide treatment and then follow that up with a clean water change of a significant amount to export any phosphate back out of the tank.

the problem in testing whether or not it imports phosphate into a tank is that we are feeding the tanks at the same time. I wish someone with a p04 test kit would test a cup of distilled water for a baseline measure(because interestingly some po4 test kits register phosphate in waters where there is none) and then dose that water with peroxide, let it sit for a couple hours, then test again to look for a range increase of phosphate. I looked at my bottle and it doesn't mention phosphorous in any oxidation gradient...maybe certain manufacturers include it and some dont? I w try to look around online for a manufacturer who reports it as an ingredient thats really interesting.

I used the peroxide dip on a frag I recently got that has tons of Gelidium, the wire turf algae. Will report on what happens.

There is a book out which I might get "The magic of Hydrogen Peroxide", anyone read it yet?

no but I saw a morning show mentioning it, about breathing it w a towel over one's head as an oxygen booster for health

they also mentioned sterilizing vegetables with it.

who knows if thats true its just what they were covering about some of the uses.

every bottle of h202 ive seen never mentions anything about trace phosphates, it is realistic that its in such small amounts that its negligible as long as water changes are done on schedule.

i learned about h2o2 against pest algae on a fancy guppy site :lol:

its concerning because this is an FDA endorsed labeling for a medical topical, we need to know about phosphates to watch out for contraindications etc

why not just add some lidocaine to it at the factory to ease the pain on the wound secretly lol

Edited by brandon429

Yesterday I had enough of the turf algae that was growing on the enormous bi-value I have. I took the clam out and dripped pure peroxide on the portion of its shell that had the problem, keeping the clam suspended and at an angle over a container. The peroxide ended up only at the site of the problem, I could see it bubbling.

After 3 minutes, I washed it with saltwater and put it back in the tank.

12+ hours later, the bi-valve is open and responding to light/shadows. Will keep an eye on the algae to see what happens, the halimeda that was also around seems fine for now.

Edited by metrokat

the food grade hydrogen peroxide doesnt have anything that might be harmful added to it ...that is why i use the food grade ...i use the 35% food grade you have to dilute it to 16 rodi water to 1 hydrogen peroxide ...my corals from the first time after stressing from me using it too much they really look pretty and alive ..they have grown and look way better and more colorful than they ever did before ...these are the corals in my bicube ..in the 70 i have been using it at 1ml per 10 gals and i have xenia in there and its looking great growing very well ...it hasnt done anything to it ..i am going to keep using it in my tank ...i think it is benificial to the plants and oxygenating the tank ...and the food grade is in the purest form but i recommend to always dilute it to the proper ratio ..i also think it helped my fish that had a sickness ...they got ick or something from one of my gobies ..i lost 2 of the sick ones but one i had taken out and put in another tank and the heater got too hot in that tank and the other died in the main tank ...i kept the other 2 fish in the main tank and kept using the peroxide and some 100% organic ick attack and they got better

Fish I bet that does work, but I can't recommend using anything but the standard 3% due to safety issues. The stronger mixes of peroxide can make you blind if there is any accident that gets it into the eye.

when 3% works as perfectly as it does, no further risk is needed to surpass it by using a strong mixture that is then diluted. if you have skills to handle caustic liquids then dilute away!

None of the additives mentioned in that website (but not on the labels of the bottles) cause any concern when using it as stated in the thread, I only recommend using the 3% we are all getting these perfect results with.

None of the additives mentioned in that website (but not on the labels of the bottles) cause any concern when using it as stated in the thread, I only recommend using the 3% we are all getting these perfect results with.

my only concern is to those who actively dose the whole tank. it would suck to have to constantly dose h2o2 then later find out you were only adding more phosphates each time.

just sounds like a vicious cycle to me... -_-

dipping and QT probably the best way to go....

based purely on the observable and repeatable outcomes on this thread i can't find any practical measure of phosphate in peroxide, even if there is .00001 trace amount.

I use Valutime peroxide from topco, it would be helpful to be brand specific and dose specific with phosphate measures in peroxide. I guess if I got the same results and the liquid was 100% phosphorous id still use it?

Edited by brandon429
Fish I bet that does work, but I can't recommend using anything but the standard 3% due to safety issues. The stronger mixes of peroxide can make you blind if there is any accident that gets it into the eye.

when 3% works as perfectly as it does, no further risk is needed to surpass it by using a strong mixture that is then diluted. if you have skills to handle caustic liquids then dilute away!

i use the 35%food grade hydrogen peroxide in my swimming pool all the time without having any problems about safety issues ...it no diffrent than handling a gallon of chlorine bleach,muratic acid or other chemicals we buy freely all the time that can hurt your eyes too ...i buy it in gallon jugs ...you can get small size bottles of it too ..i have gotten the food grade on my skin ...after a while it will have a slight burning annoying sensation ...nothing major ..i just rinse the area with water ...thats all it takes ...the skin may turn a white color but goes totally back to normal within a hour and you never noticed it happened ..like i say i have used it ..like with anything you are using that can hurt the eyes wear safety goggles ..thats just the smart way ...i put this in my pool 1 gal to 10,000 gallons ...it doesnt harm or burn my eyes diluted to the proper strenght at all ..my eyes never burn or red ...no smelly toxic fumes to breath in ..just like good ole fashioned well water ...bet you cant say that about chlorine ...but the 35%percent food grade does cost more than the regular ...i am just offering a more pure solution for those who might be worried about extra chemicals and stuff that might be in it ..and i am using it in the proper dosage and my xenia hasnt died at all from the proper diluted dosage ..it had grown ...and you can buy the food grade in stores they sale it at most of your healthfood stores..if you are worried about it do your research read up about it online ..might change your mind ...its not as bad as you are thinking it is ..i read up on it and i am very glad i did and i am very ,very pleased with my experience with it and would highly recomend it

Edited by fishrme

thats cool I never knew where to buy it even if I wanted some. I am SO AMAZED I saw an article online about drinking the stuff can you imagine that

I would never do it just mentioning what I found when googling around trying to find brand specific preservative dosages. no wonder everyone thinks we're quacks for adding it in our tanks lol that stuff is touted to cure everything lol. google drinking it, you'll see and heck no I think we should not be drinking it

no Dr Ive ever known recommended drinking this stuff and debriding your esophageal epithelia doh~

thats cool I never knew where to buy it even if I wanted some. I am SO AMAZED I saw an article online about drinking the stuff can you imagine that

I would never do it just mentioning what I found when googling around trying to find brand specific preservative dosages. no wonder everyone thinks we're quacks for adding it in our tanks lol that stuff is touted to cure everything lol. google drinking it, you'll see and heck no I think we should not be drinking it

no Dr Ive ever known recommended drinking this stuff and debriding your esophageal epithelia doh~

i have drank it before too ...lol ...but only the "food grade".and only highly diluted ....it has a number of health benefits ..just read up on them ..i use this in my laundry instead of bleach to wash the clothes ...i clean my filter sock with it for my aquarium ...it does the same as bleach but is healthy for you and the environment and is non-toxic. ...alot of your eco-friendly cleaning products use peroxide ....you keep on doing your research ...you will find you like what you find out ...i put it in my steam cleaner to clean my carpets ..they are cleaner than they have ever been except for when they was new (20 years old) and they are sanitized too ...how awesome is that ..you can use it on vegetable to keep them from spoiling and going bad because it kills the fungus that grows on the veggies and your meats ...keeps them fresher longer ...food grade is the purest they use it on food ..hince the name "food grade "..you just have to dilute to the proper strenght as in anything follow the directions !!!!

Edited by fishrme

yep it seems to tolerate diluted runs w peroxide but the safe zone is to take out chaeto while you dose, then do sufficient water changes to bring levels back down as low as possible before reintroducing. or just try it, new chaeto is cheap replacement if the major target gets taken care of.

Fishrme I would like to consider laundry w it seriously thats neat,