Pod Your Reef

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

I'll split the difference and do 3 a week

The amount is based on the level of trats, that have built up. remember that the water change only drops the level by the % removed in the change. so if its building up really fast. You may even need to do a 90% change.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RayWhisperer

Yeah, I'd say 3 gallons weekly to get you started. You can adjust from there.

Fab threatened you with the ban stick if you didn't get a tank. No need to worry about that now. HOWEVER, I will ban you if you start stocking that tank right away. I don't care if the rock is cured. You will need some time to get used to the testing and maintenance routines. Start off with just the rock and sand. After a few weeks MINIMUM, you can look into a CUC. Remember, they are added bio load as well. Give it a week or so to see how that goes. then you can start to look for fish. ONLY if you don't get any spikes from the CUC.

Fab threatened you with the ban stick if you didn't get a tank. No need to worry about that now. HOWEVER, I will ban you if you start stocking that tank right away. I don't care if the rock is cured. You will need some time to get used to the testing and maintenance routines. Start off with just the rock and sand. After a few weeks MINIMUM, you can look into a CUC. Remember, they are added bio load as well. Give it a week or so to see how that goes. then you can start to look for fish. ONLY if you don't get any spikes from the CUC.

Lol I would NEVER start stocking right away. I have seen bad things that have happened that way.
RayWhisperer

As bitts said, you may need to adjust depending on readings. However, I'd think 3 gallons is a good starting point.

Is this rock fully cured, or is it uncured?

Lee Van Reef

^^^^ Didn't listen to this advice a few months ago and crashed/killed my first attempt.

I do 4-5 gallon WC on my 10 gallon every week It's just easier because I have a 5 gallon bucket and the LFS just fills it all the way up.

As bitts said, you may need to adjust depending on readings. However, I'd think 3 gallons is a good starting point.

Is this rock fully cured, or is it uncured?

I am taking 1 rock from a friends tank and she has had it for a out 3 months. It has some micro starts and bristle worms and some pest nems. The. I am going to order some dry rock from somewhere.

animalmaster6

MD,

I've experienced and seen many success stories with this process:

Let the tank cycle with sand, rock, and water for 4-5 weeks. Check the parameters. If they are good add a few snails. Then wait a few more weeks and check the params again. If they are still good than start adding the rest of your CUC, fishes, and corals slowly.

RayWhisperer

OK, then you need at least a month cycle. NO SOONER, possibly longer. Pretty much what AM just said.

Now, there are many schools of thought on cycling a tank. What are your plans?

OK, then you need at least a month cycle. NO SOONER, possibly longer. Pretty much what AM just said.

Now, there are many schools of thought on cycling a tank. What are your plans?

Ok a month or so. My plans are to get every thing in it like rock and sand then just let it sit with weekly water changes and a filter.

RayWhisperer

Weekly water changes during the cycle? I'm not saying it's wrong, but may I ask why? Are you going for a soft cycle?

Also, why filter anything beyond mechanical during the cycle? I'm just trying to see where you are going with this. At this point I'm not saying it's wrong or right.

Weekly water changes during the cycle? I'm not saying it's wrong, but may I ask why? Are you going for a soft cycle?

Also, why filter anything beyond mechanical during the cycle? I'm just trying to see where you are going with this. At this point I'm not saying it's wrong or right.

I have no clue. I need some help on cycling. I haven't thought about it goo much.

skip the water changes through the cycle. Unneeded & a waste of salt mix. give the tank 2 months to cycle then add the cuc. fish should come after corals. add stupid simple corals at like, well as close to 6 months as you can push your self. but a minimum of 3-4 months. think things like rics, candy cane, so on. this will give the tank time to develop a strong meiofauna population (bugs) which is what makes the tank go. plus the coral will have time to establish them selves before the added biolad of the fish can start messing with the water quality.

Oh & don't add the cuc all at once. it will spike the bioload & can cause a second cycle.

RayWhisperer

Like I said, there are many schools of thought on cycling a tank.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, and that's fine, whatever works, I guess. However, in your case, I wouldn't use a soft cycle. At best, I'd only want to preserve what life is already on the cured LR. So, I wouldn't go for a full hard cycle either.

I have my own methods that work for me. I fine tune them according to what I want to achieve. In your case, I think it'd be best to see the dry rock before making a final decision. If it's clean vs if there is a bunch of dried up dead things stuck to it. Like I said, there are many schools of thought, but I'll refrain from giving all of my thoughts until I see the rock and knowing what you want to achieve.

Do you want them?

I have :

1x Tuxedo Platy

1x other platy

1x Marble Mollie

2x Glow light Tetras

2x Pencil fish

I also have:

2x Ammono shrimp

1x Cherry shrimp

all those plants in the pics and the 2 fake rocks it the pics. Would be cool in like another 10 gallon or a 20 where you could add more livestock

nahh im fine. im just gonna have to buy them at my lfs for my planted pico.

EDIT: throw them fish on craigslist, bet you could get like 15$ for all of them.

I wonder if anyone on here want want anything? Do you think so? I'll put up a (FS) thread if you think they will.

I created an account there should I put them up?

Archived