Mini-Dude

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

:happydance: Hi, I have had a FW tank for about a year now. I have learned a lot since being on N-R. I have decided to take down my FW tank and get a 10 gallon reef going.

Specs:

Display: 10 gallon Marina kit with canopy taken off

Lighting: 24" FNI 2 bulb T5 fixture

Bulbs: ATI AquaBlue Special and a ULV Indigo Sun courtesy of herranton ;)

Rock: 4 lbs of Marco Key Large dry rock(big white one in FTS) and 5.4 lbs of man made live rock(2 red ones)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragonite Premium grade reef sand(10 lbs)

Filtration: AC70 with stock media basket...Chemi-Pure Elite, Stock sponge, and puragen

Circulation: KNano 240

Heater: Visi-Therm 100w

Parameters:

Temp: fluctuates from 78-80

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: o ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

pH: 8.3

I love the tank! got some sexy shrimp! So fun to watch! :D

I thought about dosing, but I dont think I will...I was given almost the whole AquaVitro line and I use AquaVitro salt....Y'all can advise me on that...

Stocking:

Fish:

• Pair of Mocha Clownfish from Fisheye Services

Inverts:

• 3x Sexy Shrimp
  • varios snails and hermits

Corals:

• lots of zoas
  • some rics
  • a frogspawn
  • acans
  • and more!!

This is going to be an open tank so with the livestock I have chosen I will need to be carefull because there is a risk they might go carpet surfing....tell me what you think of the list please :D

FTS as of 5/12/11

100_6551.jpg

If you have any tips or advice please tell me....Thanks for viewing :D

Pics of live stock:

100_6629.jpg

100_6633.jpg

100_6646.jpg

100_6638.jpg

100_6637.jpg

100_6635.jpg

100_6634.jpg

100_6645.jpg

100_6643.jpg

100_6642.jpg

100_6640.jpg

Hope you enjoy! Thanks for looking!

Edited by Mini-Dude

el fabuloso

first

Mini-Dude

Have any suggestions? My goal is to get this to 10 pages in 3 days. ;)

Edited by Mini-Dude

Mini-Dude

Fab, did you even read it or just wanted to be first to post? ;)

el fabuloso

sorry, tl;dr :P

Mini-Dude

Read it now please or I will become :ninja:

Euphyllia

Aquacave.com has a bunch of horrible reviews, but there are some good ones too. It might be hit and miss, but if it were me personally I would use TB Aquatics or Drs. Foster & Smith. Check them out if you haven't already to compare different tanks and prices. :)

Mini-Dude

I will thanks. aquacave seemed good enough. They say they don't have fast shipping but I'm in no hurry. I liked them also cause they have low prices.

dickie52
Hey! This is going to be my thread for all aquatic ramblings and my Nano Cube 28g CF-Quad build. For now I have close to $275 into my 2 FW tanks. One 10 gallon Marina Kit consisting of: 1 Mollie named PigOut, 2 platies named Elmo and Tux, 2 Glow light tetras named the Party Twins, 2 Pencil fish that don't have names, 2 Amono Shrimp, and 1 Cherry shrimp. With fake plants and black gravel. Then my Fluval Chi that consists of: 1 royal blue Half-Moon Betta named Sapphire, 3 Galaxy Rasboras that have no name, and 4 Cherry shrimp.

My freshwater tanks have been very fun, but ever since I found this site I have been dragged into SW aquariums bit by bit every day. When I first came here you might have noticed my first thread called Nano Cube or BioCube. in that thread I was looking at the smaller NC or BC, but when I started reading more on this site I decided to go as big as I could afford and that is not that big as I don't have a job, supportive parents, and I'm in 7th grade.

For the past 2 or 3 months I have been going back and forth from NC and BC. I finally decided on the aquarium that I will be getting. In about 3-6 months I will be getting th NC 28g CF-Quad. I decided this is the most cost effective for me right now, and when I have run the PC's for about 6 or 7 months I will upgrade to one of the 20-24" T5-HO fixtures out there.

When I get the tank from aquacave.com my to do list will be the following: Order Urbankes' media basket, get filter floss, order Chemi-Pure Elite or not? Idk any opinions, get substrate and rock, and get Cheato.

I plan on having a pretty long cycle because I am ordering 25lbs of dry rock from Premium Aquatics and seed it with about 3lbs of LR from my LFS. The substrate for the first layer will be the larger Aragonite and fro the top layer I will do shells. Does anyone see any problems or concerns with this method?

For fish I was thinking: a pair of B&W Osc's , 1 orange spotted goby or Yasha goby, and 1 Midas Blenny. For inverts I was thinking: 1 candy stripe pistol shrimp pair with the goby, 1 emerald crab, 1 porcelain crab, 1 Fire Shrimp, and 1 Skunk cleaner shrimp. Do you see any problems with this list?

I hope to have a fun time with this tank. If you have reviews with this tank please post. If you have any tips please say so. As I said before I am a beginner and I hopefully wont make a lot of mistakes since I have been reading so much.

Thanks so much for reading this!, MD

looks well thought out! I am wishing you all the luck and enjoyment it will bring.

Deleted User 6
first

dammit.

Mini-Dude
dammit.

I warned you first in the Chocolateirium.

Aquacave.com has a bunch of horrible reviews, but there are some good ones too. It might be hit and miss, but if it were me personally I would use TB Aquatics or Drs. Foster & Smith. Check them out if you haven't already to compare different tanks and prices. :)

Does TB Aquatics have good reviews?

Deleted User 6

I was watching Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.

Euphyllia
I will thanks. aquacave seemed good enough. They say they don't have fast shipping but I'm in no hurry. I liked them also cause they have low prices.

Always Google something like "Aquacave.com reviews" before you buy. Too many people just buy without seeing reviews and they end up scammed. If some place had prices considerably lower than most other legit dealers, I would be suspicious and I wouldn't order from them. In case you already didn't know, the one on Aquacave.com for $240 doesn't come with a stand.

Deleted User 6

Yeah, TB Aqu. is good. Got my skimmer from them.

Mini-Dude
I was watching Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.

I got ya! ;)

Always Google something like "Aquacave.com reviews" before you buy. Too many people just buy without seeing reviews and they end up scammed. If some place had prices considerably lower than most other legit dealers, I would be suspicious and I wouldn't order from them. In case you already didn't know, the one on Aquacave.com for $240 doesn't come with a stand.

Im gonna go with this from TB

http://www.tbaquatics.com/shop/jbj-28-gall...-stand-906.html

Deleted User 6

You in an area where you could find one used?

el fabuloso
Read it now please or I will become :ninja:

Like dickie said, it looks well thought out. :)

dammit.

slow poke. :P

Mini-Dude

Do y'all have any comments about the stocking plans?

Fab, why did you close my thread over in GD?

Euphyllia
I got ya! ;)

Im gonna go with this from TB

http://www.tbaquatics.com/shop/jbj-28-gall...-stand-906.html

Even though TB Aquatics is $20 more, I haven't seen a bad review about TB Aquatics from the research I've done. On the other hand, in three minutes of research I saw three horrible reviews about Aquacave.com. :)

Deleted User 6

Don't buy from aquacave. Buy from TB. $20 is well worth the peace of mind.

Mini-Dude

Yeah I am willing to pay $20 more then have a box o thrash at my house from pour shipping.

My thread went 1 page in 10 min.

Euphyllia
Do y'all have any comments about the stocking plans?

Everything sounds good. The only thing that worries me are the two crabs and the two shrimp. The porcelain crab and the emerald crab may fight, and the two different shrimp may fight as well. It would be best to get one crab and one shrimp. IME you'll need 4-5 snails (I like to get different types to attack different types of algae and things) and 10 hermit crabs (red leg or blue leg, I've found there's not much of a difference).

EDIT: I encourage you to buy a pair of Black Occys. They will spawn under the right conditions, but that's too much to get worry about until you get the tank set up with fish. Let me warn you, once they have a pair bond they will attack you no matter what. It gets even worse after they lay eggs. This morning my female Black Occy bit me and I now have a bloody finger. :lol:

Edited by Euphyllia

Deleted User 6

Midas blennies get big.

786920804_PZbqc-L-3.jpg

about 6" long.

el fabuloso
Midas blennies get big.

+1