Top Shelf Aquatics

The "Mini" World! PIX!(rimless 10g build)

Mini-Dude

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to my tank....should I paint the back of it black or just leave it be?

Paint the back. Do it now. Don't wait until Thursday. When you paint it, use newspaper and masking tape to cover ALL the areas that you do not want painted, including covering the top. Use about 3 thin coats of paint. When I paint a tank, after the first coat, you can still see through the glass, I let that dry a couple of hours then apply a second coat. The next day I put on the final coat. If you put the paint on too thick, it will look blotchy. You will need to wait at least a day after you paint it to put water in it.

[edit]

Oh, and paint the tank outside.

And use Krylon Fusion spray paint if possible. (you can get it at most Walmarts. My home depot doesn't have it.

[edit 2]

Ask your dad for help if you need it. You need to be careful about breathing the paint vapors too.

[edit 3]

You can also use window tint sold at walmart in the automotive department. I have that on my current tank and I am fairly happy with it. it still lets a bit of light through but it is really hard to notice if the tank lights are on. I just taped the tint to the back of the tank because applying it properly is a pitb. That schtuff is sticky as heck. You could also get an all black background from your lfs or use construction paper.

Paint the back. Do it now. Don't wait until Thursday. When you paint it, use newspaper and masking tape to cover ALL the areas that you do not want painted, including covering the top. Use about 3 thin coats of paint. When I paint a tank, after the first coat, you can still see through the glass, I let that dry a couple of hours then apply a second coat. The next day I put on the final coat. If you put the paint on too thick, it will look blotchy. You will need to wait at least a day after you paint it to put water in it.

[edit]

Oh, and paint the tank outside.

And use Krylon Fusion spray paint if possible. (you can get it at most Walmarts. My home depot doesn't have it.

[edit 2]

Ask your dad for help if you need it. You need to be careful about breathing the paint vapors too.

Ok I will do it tommarow. I cant tonight. I should have enough time.

Ok I will do it tommarow. I cant tonight. I should have enough time.

You can also use window tint sold at walmart in the automotive department. I have that on my current tank and I am fairly happy with it. it still lets a bit of light through but it is really hard to notice if the tank lights are on. I just taped the tint to the back of the tank because applying it properly is a pitb. That schtuff is sticky as heck. You could also get an all black background from your lfs or use construction paper.

[edit]

If you choose to paint the tank, pick up some nitrile or latex gloves.

I think I will do a black background. What do you suggest putting it on with? Tape?

Tape is fine, make sure you get it tight though, you will see it though the front of the tank if its not.

RayWhisperer

Whoa! Just found the background video used for the song Harsh Stone White. I remember that too.

God, I could do this all day between these two bands. I sure love the oldies... LOL!

lol ray. What really funny though is your mentioning 89 makes me think back to 6th grade & pretty hate machine.

Here you go mini dude just to prove that even rivitheads have a bon jovi

Cheapreef27

oh wait, your not old enough! :DDD

Top rated comment makes me lol.

"this song is about the first time eating a happy meal"

RayWhisperer

Saw NIN in Dallas. I went AWOL to see that show LOL! Come to think of it, I did that for Skinny Puppy, too. It's a miracle I didn't get caught.

Mmm... yes Germain music for the Germain car.

oh & just to continue with the corruption of the mini dude may we present HENRY ROLLINS.

edit: yeah no rollins age. Even I have to draw a line somewhere.

Archived