Cultivated Reef

Im not killing my fish, sorry

brandolando4

Distilled, I used treated tap a couple times when I ran out, but our water is really good! I try not to donut but it happened

Like everyone up here uses tap,

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to use treated tap for freshwater tanks, but i would never trust it with saltwater. I had problems even using purified.. if i were you i'd get an ro/di unit or just stick with distilled.

Yah I agree, I live in a dorm so I can't get to/di machine, and its hard to store bottle of water in my tiny room! But yah, I tryhard not to use tap!

you can go to machines like they have at sweetbay or publix, maybe walmart in your area, and just fill up a 5g jug or a few 1g at a time. I used to live in dorms in orlando and the tap water there was TERRIBLE lol

Walmart has that?! I was looking for something like that, And all I could find was purified drinking water!!

Ive heard other people here say that their walmart has water machines, but i've never seen one in my area either. Sweetbay, publix, walgreens i know has the Glacier ones though

Idk, what to do, my fish is not responding to hyposalinity it's only been one day under hyposalinity conditions, he won't eat pe mysis soaked in garlic, idk what else to do he is in quarantine laying on his side breathing heavily, not moving I tried target feeding and he swam away, he didnt want it, should I kill him and put him out of his misery or let him suffer more and hope he gets better it's been like 2 and a half days since he has eaten a real meal,

On sites I have read about clownfish (I have one in my tank) that is what they do and it is "normal" they are a shy type fish that claims one small area of the tank as theirs and stays there. My clown swims right at the top of the water by one of my power head, he eats Ocean nutrition formula two flakes with fresh seafoos MPAX I drop some in right above him and he seems to eat it up.

Wow, I can't believe you would be so irresponsible as to buy a fish and then ask the best way to kill it just because you're uncomfortable with watching how horrible it feels in your tank.

We have a responsibility to every live creature we buy no matter how small.

I don't want to kill it at all! If I was dying slowly in a bed I wouldn't want to prolong it!!

Trust me killing it is the last thing I want to do!

Refractometer

remember, you've put this fish through a lot of crap in 2 days. you put it through osmotic shock, through ammonia issues (since you have testable trites...), and it's stressed out big time. the fish won't be eating.

what are your trites now, do you have amquel?

man i really don't want to come off as a douche but.....the more you post the more it comes clear that you think you know alot about what you are doing because of books and skimming these forums. i can tell you intentions are good, but in reality i think you may be moving too fast and trying to do too much. just take it slow and remember that if a statement starts with "my LFS encouraged me to do it...they said it will be good" usually means you can ignore said statement.

Basically what I was trying to say too.

Have you researched to see what might be wrong with him? Are you willing to do what it takes to help him get better?

He IS trying to help this fish. He just doesn't want to see it suffer unnecessarily.

I don't want to kill it at all! If I was dying slowly in a bed I wouldn't want to prolong it!!

Trust me killing it is the last thing I want to do!

Refractometer

If killing it is the last thing you want to do, why did you start your thread out asking the best way to kill your fish?

I've been reefkeeping for a long time and I have never lost a fish, even a really sick one, because I always made sure I knew how to take care of them.

I have rehabbed many sickly fish and even taught "difficult" fish how to live better in captivity.

If killing it is the last thing you want to do, why did you start your thread out asking the best way to kill your fish?

I've been reefkeeping for a long time and I have never lost a fish, even a really sick one, because I always made sure I knew how to take care of them.

I have rehabbed many sickly fish and even taught "difficult" fish how to live better in captivity.

so help out instead of berating him...

so help out instead of berating him...

Christel has to keep up her streak of only posting inflammatory comments...so far so good with all three of your posts on nano-reef. :welcome: and :slap: .

Ive been doing stuff to make him better!

ok, lets see what i remember from your other post (see why this is such a bad idea to start new threads for the same problem?)

You thought it had ich. So you brought down your specific gravity to 14ppt in less than a day. Fish definitely has osmotic shock, which it could recover from.

Then you thought it had brook. did you give it a formalyn bath?

You are able to test trites, what do you have in there for biological filtration?

I'm very surprised your pH is at 8.2-8.4, are you buffering it to keep your hyposaline tank up there? adding fresh water to get and keep a tank into hyposaline conditions generally tanks the pH.

is your refractometer calibrated to both zero and a fixed specific gravity?

I'd like to start off with saying there are no nitrites in my tank, I miss spoke and meant nitrates, and they are very low, I get that I should be doing all I can for this fish, however from what I have read if a fish is laying on his side breathing heavily and not responding to food and treatment u may have lost the battle already!! That is the point of this post, I don't want to kill my fish, I just don't want to see it suffer if it will die eventually, if u have any advice let me hear it, stop calling me a monster for wanting to put a doomed fish down!! If I was in the hospital and was told ur going to die soon in an extradinarily painful way and suffer, I would say see yah, and go out then!

I posted this for advice, idk what wrong with the fish all I know is something is making it socks bs he is not responding to treatment!!

I'd like to start off with saying there are no nitrites in my tank, I miss spoke and meant nitrates, and they are very low, I get that I should be doing all I can for this fish, however from what I have read if a fish is laying on his side breathing heavily and not responding to food and treatment u may have lost the battle already!! That is the point of this post, I don't want to kill my fish, I just don't want to see it suffer if it will die eventually, if u have any advice let me hear it, stop calling me a monster for wanting to put a doomed fish down!! If I was in the hospital and was told ur going to die soon in an extradinarily painful way and suffer, I would say see yah, and go out then!

I posted this for advice, idk what wrong with the fish all I know is something is making it socks bs he is not responding to treatment!!

Sorry I was confused, again I have no nitrites, I haven't tested the ph of the qt, I thought u were asking the ph of the display tank, i will check the ph when I get home, no formalyin bath I couldn't go to the store to buy any, so I figured hyposalinity would help, and I don't know if it's brook that was just the closest hit I got upon my research

Archived