Top Shelf Aquatics

Im not killing my fish, sorry

brandolando4

Idk, what to do, my fish is not responding to hyposalinity it's only been one day under hyposalinity conditions, he won't eat pe mysis soaked in garlic, idk what else to do he is in quarantine laying on his side breathing heavily, not moving I tried target feeding and he swam away, he didnt want it, should I kill him and put him out of his misery or let him suffer more and hope he gets better it's been like 2 and a half days since he has eaten a real meal,

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Idk, what to do, my fish is not responding to hyposalinity it's only been one day under hyposalinity conditions, he won't eat pe mysis soaked in garlic, idk what else to do he is in quarantine laying on his side breathing heavily, not moving I tried target feeding and he swam away, he didnt want it, should I kill him and put him out of his misery or let him suffer more and hope he gets better it's been like 2 and a half days since he has eaten a real meal,

So Sorry. Tough decision but it sounds like there is no hope. You did all you could. If you decide to euthanize I've read that freezing them is the most humane way.

actually the most humane way is to put them in a container of tank water with clove oil, clove oil can be used as an anesthetic for fish if used in small doses but using too much will OD the fish and they will die in their sleep.

also after only 2 days i would give it another day or 2 before you think about euthanasia. What kind of fish is it and what are the symptoms besides not eating?

Clownfish, I know u guys told me not to, but I got impatient the other clown is doing awesome and I know I should have waited but the goby was doing fine!! So I decided to do it, but idk of it was my fault, all the corals are open so water is good, all other fish are happy!! So idk.

Freezing is more humane then chopping it's spinal chord...? Should I freeze him with no water in the bag or should I put a little water in the bag?!

Please don't Judge me for buying another fish my lfs told me it would be alright and the other fish is happy!!

The fish symptoms are he is laying on his side breathing heavily won't eat and he does not have any spots on him!!

Clownfish, I know u guys told me not to, but I got impatient the other clown is doing awesome and I know I should have waited but the goby was doing fine!! So I decided to do it, but idk of it was my fault, all the corals are open so water is good, all other fish are happy!! So idk.

Freezing is more humane then chopping it's spinal chord...? Should I freeze him with no water in the bag or should I put a little water in the bag?!

Please don't Judge me for buying another fish my lfs told me it would be alright and the other fish is happy!!

The fish symptoms are he is laying on his side breathing heavily won't eat and he does not have any spots on him!!

I would give it a hospital tank with specific gravity of 1.021, and let it be for a few days. Sounds like he is in shock, and disturbing him all the time will most likely make it worse. You can see if he takes food about once a day, if not, suck the leftover food out and let him be...

wonder if his bladder is effed up. dont cut him half though, that would be torture. he would die from the blood loss, not from having his spine severed.

i dunno how you can kill a clownfish other than just totally sucking at fish in general, but if everything else really is ok, then i dont know.

but yeah don't cut him or crush him or anything like that, if you really want to kill your fish, do the clove oil thing, i've heard of that before.

but don't kill your fish.

edit: no more fish after him, just leave it at a clown and a goby. get a shrimp if you want something else that moves around.

The only reason I and is that from te research I have done hyposalinity should have given him some relief by now, but idk I've never done this before

The only reason I and is that from te research I have done hyposalinity should have given him some relief by now, but idk I've never done this before

the hypo salinity is to make disease and parasites less able to harm the fish. the fish would "prefer" ocean level salinity 1.026 if he doesen't have ich, or any visible parasites, i don't really know what it's for.

Again, I'm a nooB, so correct me if I'm wrong, but from research this could be signs of brook, and I may have missed the white spots earlier in his life, and it could have come back and I just can't see it now..

What other problem could the fish have?!

lol.. after working at a pet store for most of my life being concerned about tossing a near dead fish seems funny. IDK how many freshwater kibbying fish i've tossed in my life time.. and salts too.

back when i was younger i would toss dead fish out my window.. always wondering if in 1000's of years when people are excavating our land and discover fish fossils if they will wonder if there was an ocean in the middle of the city. lol dead coral skeletons, fish skeletons..

i'm not one to think that fish have feelings. they wont hold a grudge.

if the medications out weigh the cost of the fish.. most times i opt for the new fish. call me heartless if you want.. but all in all its a fish. I ate some from a can yesterday.

Lol, its just a bummer to have to loose another 20 dollar fish, idk I really feel bad for him just laying there doing nothing and breathing hard!

Any other suggestions on what he has?!

i'm not one to think that fish have feelings. they wont hold a grudge.

fish don't have nervous systems?.....hmmm, that's news to me.

i worked at a fish store for 3 years, i tossed numerous amounts of comet goldfish and crap like that, but literally maybe 4 SW fish. all green chromis' that looked bad to begin with. we nursed back to health i dont know how many tangs and clowns though.

Is there a specific reason that you want to kill it? You already have a hospital tank set up so what is the harm in keeping it until it recovers or dies? I hear the whole "put it out of it's misery" thing, but you don't even know what is wrong... It may have somethign as simple as "shock." Would you want someone to kill you if you were scared and hiding in a corner shaking? You know - just to put you out of your misery? lol...

fish don't have nervous systems?.....hmmm, that's news to me.

i worked at a fish store for 3 years, i tossed numerous amounts of comet goldfish and crap like that, but literally maybe 4 SW fish. all green chromis' that looked bad to begin with. we nursed back to health i dont know how many tangs and clowns though.

i didnt mean fish don't have a nervous system. feelings.. like emotions.. i dont think the fish is going to care either way if its dead. lol

Archived