Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jamie's DORM PICO

Jamie

bring it home with you?

Yes i highly recommend bringing it home with you. lots can happen in 3 months that can spell doom for such a promising tank, plus how will the porcelains feed w/o you? And if you make a mistake in sealing it, your salinity change over 3 months will kill your tank. and if you do seal it correctly, how will the animals breathe? you have no macros in there...

I'm not going to be home for the summer, so that's not really an option. Also, my house is a 17 hour drive from here, and I don't have a car, so I don't know how I'd get it home even if I would be there. There was a 2 gallon tank on here a while back whose owner had kept completely sealed for two years, and was very successful, so I'm not too worried. I'm not saying that absolutely everything will make it, but I don't think anything disastrous will happen. I also might be here during the month of June, so I could check up on the tank and make sure everything was functioning as planned.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be very careful. consult with the person who sealed the tank for 2 years (It might have been brandon) to check how he did it w/o killing his animals.

Is anything or anyone going to be feeding the porcelains? two starved porcelains dying can be disastrous for a pico this small.

I left my pico last summer for 1 month while i was on vacation, and I have to say although it wasn't effected much by my absence I do not think it could have held out for 3 months on its own. I had a big ATO reservoir setup for my leave and someone fed my crabs once each week while i was gone which explains why my corals were not missing when i returned.

snowflake ell

I have sand, there's just so much flow it all ended up in the back of the tank.

oh it wood look so nice with sand

it looks fine w/o sand though too. it looks like some cut an upper/middle strata of a young reef off and framed it in this pico.

Yeah, I'm hoping to just get coralline and stuff encrusting over the bottom eventually. I don't really feed the tank much, only the tiniest pinch of cyclopeeze maybe once every couple weeks, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Yep, the tank has a pretty massive pod population, which seems to keep everything happy. Florence refuses to eat cyclopeeze, but is always quite plump, and the crab has molted several times since I've gotten it, so I think it's getting enough food too.

interesting zoas :)

duncan, since he doesnt run the common AC70 mod, two K-nanos is actually very good for corals like SPS.

interesting zoas :)

duncan, since he doesnt run the common AC70 mod, two K-nanos is actually very good for corals like SPS.

It's definitely pretty intense at the front of the tank - I had to move the encrusting monti because it was dying in areas where it was getting slammed with flow. It seems really great for zoas though. I'm thinking I'm going to make this tank into primarily a zoa collection.

honestly, it looks like you have enough varieties in there already :)

Never!

Jamie, you don't have a lid on this tank right? Do you think Florence might go carpet surfing?

This tank has a glass lid. I would be worried about it if I didn't have on though!

i think he's going to seal this tank with a lid so the fish wont jump/no evap.

Also true.

alfiefive

I saw updates to your thread and was hoping for more pictures! I love the macro shots you take of your stock! Looking forward to more!

I'm heading home in less that two weeks, so I'll try to get in at least one more big update before then. I'll be back here for the month of June, so I'll be able to see how the tank did on it's preliminary 2.5 week solo mission, and get you guys some more pictures. ;)

• 2 months later...

As far as I know, everything is going well. It made the first two weeks great, and then I took care of it for the month of June. I had a minor pH crisis during that period, but I didn't lose anything, and everything was back to normal by the time I left. A fellow bio student is watching it for me until she leaves at the beginning of august, then the tank will have to go it alone until I get back on the 21st. It's in a heavily air-conditioned bio building with an ro tap in the sink - so it shouldn't be too hard! I'll let you guys know how it did when I finally get back. :fingerscrossed:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived