Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jamie's DORM PICO

Jamie

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awesome plans, but the acans do not look life sized at all, their polyps would be much bigger than that and they take up much more space. the orange colony looks more like zoas.

I wish i could concept draw like that lol. I do my concepts in paint by just cutting and pasting images i find on the web lol.

holy sh!t what kind of lighting is that? your corals look so good!!!!!

I can't tell you :ninja:

Someone has to much time on their hands. :rolleyes::lol:

It'll be pretty neat if it looks like that in real life.

lol yep.

awesome plans, but the acans do not look life sized at all, their polyps would be much bigger than that and they take up much more space. the orange colony looks more like zoas.

I wish i could concept draw like that lol. I do my concepts in paint by just cutting and pasting images i find on the web lol.

This is true. I probably won't actually be getting acans though. In fact, after drawing this, I decided on a new layout I like better, but I don't feel like drawing it so you guys'll just have to wait and see. :ninja: hint: more sps, less ugly brown rock.

Thanks! You can't really tell in the picture, but the torch is sticking off the rock in the direction the viewer, and the montipora is coming more off the back face, in the other direction. I think it would work, but I'm not positive, torches are pretty big...

My params were looking pretty nice so I picked up a couple ceriths today to test the tank out. The store closest to me seems kind of overpriced, so I don't think I'll be doing too much shopping there, but today they had in a couple mini carpets, which would be cool. I'm not familiar with average price for these guys... they were $35. Do you think I could do better elsewhere?

I think next thursday I'll go on an expedition to find a fish. All my lfs has in the pico size range is sickly looking clown gobies... Does anyone from the area have good fish store suggestions? And does anyone in general have good fish suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a trimma/eviota goby. Aioliops megastigma would be cool, if I could find one.

i agree if you must go with a fish, the smaller trimma/eviota gobies are ideal if you dont care for clowns.

I wouldn't introduce fish tho until the tank is mature and youre ready to crash it :lol: jk.

on serious note it will be much easier to battle your future algae wars w/o a fish in there. imo, get a fish after the major risk of algae blooms is over and the tank is going strong with good growth all around.

$35 is pretty good. Some are a lot more expensive.

hmmm... I will consider it. Cooler though was the periclimenes shrimp that was hosting it. That would make a good combo. Hopefully no one buys them in the next few weeks.

i agree if you must go with a fish, the smaller trimma/eviota gobies are ideal if you dont care for clowns.

I wouldn't introduce fish tho until the tank is mature and youre ready to crash it :lol: jk.

on serious note it will be much easier to battle your future algae wars w/o a fish in there. imo, get a fish after the major risk of algae blooms is over and the tank is going strong with good growth all around.

Meh, I'd rather start with a fish and get all the resulting fluctuations over with before I start adding corals, but we'll see if I can actually find anything I want. My goal for this tank is to buy only the coolest things I can find, so I may be fishless for a while.

You are seriously using 2 K nanos in a 2 gallon?!

Yep, high flow ftw! More and more I'm thinking that I'll be doing mostly zoas and sps.

This tank looks like it's going to be pretty awesome :)

thanks, I hope so!

So, basically this is the least "live" live rock I have ever seen. Since my tank still has no microfauna, today I went to the lfs and asked how much it would cost for a scoop of sand and a little chaetomorpha from their big refugium, which is is in plain view in the middle of the store. The lady who owns the place told me that the sand was not for sale, and that if I wanted chaeto, I could buy one of the little cups of it "over there" (in the FO tanks), and that it would be six dollars. That chaeto had little, if any, life on it, and for six dollars I said thanks but no thanks, and left the store empty handed. :sigh: I wish there was a good fs near here... :closedeyes:

As far as the tank: diatom bloom is happening now, and the snails are happily munching away. Not much else to report. Can't wait to start stocking!

FTS, now with diatoms!

DSC_0002-2-1.jpg

my new bulb came in today. It's almost as big as the tank! Still waiting on the fixture.

DSC_0003-3.jpg

Another snail picture, since this tank doesn't have anything more exciting.

DSC_0007-4.jpg

edit: hmm... pictures aren't working. I'm working on it...

okay, fixed!

Didnt read the whole thread but hope your keeping it bare bottom or the sand will be everywhere. Good start.

Also pull them KN and soak them in a water/vinegar mix and clean them off.

Didnt read the whole thread but hope your keeping it bare bottom or the sand will be everywhere. Good start.

Also pull them KN and soak them in a water/vinegar mix and clean them off.

You guys are right, snails are pretty cool. :) I just can't wait for corals!

I think I'll have a little sand, but the bottom will be mostly covered with zoas and rics which should keep the sand down somewhat.

not really, but hiding them will be a pain. maybe attach diff colored monti caps to them and let those grow over them? i'm totally doing that with my K nano lol

so you'll grow the corals on the glass bottom and sprinkle them with sand to make it look like a sand bottom?

yep, something like that.

Lol TWO K-nano is crazy! xD

:D

not really, but hiding them will be a pain. maybe attach diff colored monti caps to them and let those grow over them? i'm totally doing that with my K nano lol

Perhaps. That would look really cool, but if one of the pumps broke I'd have a hard time replacing it.

Archived