Pod Your Reef

Jamie's DORM PICO

Jamie

yay!

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0002-3-1.jpg

DSC_0004-4.jpg

Not pictured is a little red monti cap frag.

So today I went to a great fish store, and decided that I'm never buying anything at my closest lfs again, except maybe salt. At half an hour away this place was a little far, but definitely worth it. They were out of trimma/eviota gobies, but the guy said they usually have them in stock. Tons of nice frags too, I'll definitely be going back.

Now that I have corals in this tank, the high flow rate is really apparent. I can't tell yet if they like it or not, but I might have to scale back some, or at least change the flow pattern to get more randomized flow, right now everything is just getting blasted from the front.

More pics once things open up.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, blue clove lawn! I hope so.

pics! The monti is a little pissed still because I keep moving it around to find a lower flow area. I think it's in a pretty good spot now.

DSC_0010-5.jpg

DSC_0011-2-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1-2.jpg

My sunpod is supposed to arrive on thursday. I can't wait to get a halide on this thing! I figured these guys could tough it out with a pc for a few days, but I think everyone will be pleased with the upgrade. :happy:

edit: this was probably obvious, but nothing is in it's final place right now, I just haven't bought epoxy/glue yet.

Hmm, now that i'm seeing all these dorm picos, my resolve is starting to falter. I was not going to set up a reef at college but now i'm starting to consider it. If I can get my hands on a fixture or AIO for cheap I'll definitely do it. I'm glad to see you back jamie, keep it up!

What school? I assume you are at the Claremont colleges...I ALMOST went to Mudd :)

Yep, Pomona. You should have! ;)

Hmm, now that i'm seeing all these dorm picos, my resolve is starting to falter. I was not going to set up a reef at college but now i'm starting to consider it. If I can get my hands on a fixture or AIO for cheap I'll definitely do it. I'm glad to see you back jamie, keep it up!

Haha, yeah, I only made it a semester before I couldn't take it anymore. I even bought myself a leopard gecko hoping that would be enough, but obviously it wasn't. Now my dorm is just filled with aquariums. Thanks god my roommate likes animals. :lol:

Today I decided that the rock was huge and hideous (actually, I decided that a while ago, but today I took action!) and I smashed it up. I've got a pseudo-scape going right now, but it still needs work. I'l take another go at it later tonight, and might even get some pics up if the water clears before lights-off.

Halide came in the mail today! :) It seems I'm going to be having some temp issues with this light... it was on for about four hours and the temp jumped from 75 to 82 (it was always completely stable with the cf). For now I'll be running short photoperiods, maybe two a day, to give the tank time to cool off in between? I'm thinking about an iceprobe...

also, I got a new inhabitant!

DSC_0038-1.jpg

I didn't notice in the store, but the shrimp has a nasty looking parasitic isopod. <_< They're not supposed to be lethal, since it obviously wouldn't work out for the isopod if the shrimp died, but it's still gross. I really want to just stab it with a little needle, but I'm sure I'd just end up hurting the shrimp, so I'll just have to let it be. :sigh: oh well

Pics with the new light:

DSC_0062-4.jpg

DSC_0043-5.jpg

DSC_0047-2.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0057-1.jpg

DSC_0060-3.jpg

It's bluer than I expected from 14K, but that doesn't really bother me. I can't wait to get some more corals now that the light is here!

Dnanoreefer

I really like what you have goin on here.. I like the blue color the light throws off looks awesome.. I would also like to see what your filter setup is.. I'm planning on getting myself a 3 gallon pico.. And I really don't want to use a hang on filter.. You need a little sand in there and it would look real slick! Awesome thread with lots of good pics and info..

Zach

I really like what you have goin on here.. I like the blue color the light throws off looks awesome.. I would also like to see what your filter setup is.. I'm planning on getting myself a 3 gallon pico.. And I really don't want to use a hang on filter.. You need a little sand in there and it would look real slick! Awesome thread with lots of good pics and info..

Zach

Thanks! Only natural filtration, no HOB or anything. I prefer making everything as simple as possible, and I don't think extra filtration is really necessary. I used the same method in my last tank (see thread in sig), and it worked wonderfully. And I'm definitely going to pick up some sand soon, I'm just hoping I can ask my fish store for a little out of their tanks so I don't have to buy a giant bag.

sweet tank. like the mini whirlpool, is that 2 k nanos?

nm i can read....

Thanks. ;)

Dnanoreefer

So with no filtration.. Water changes weekly? Jw.. I know with the corals and just a few crabs and snails the only reSon for a wAter change would be to repository nutrients but with a fish involved the food waste and fish waste.. I would think weekly water changes are needed.. Correct me if I'm wrong.. How is that light working out? Is it turning your pico into a hottub? Lol I need a new project and a little pico is just what I am lookin for.. Have you seen the wheelers goby? They are really neat.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=226

Just a link for ya, it's the wheeler goby

So with no filtration.. Water changes weekly? Jw.. I know with the corals and just a few crabs and snails the only reSon for a wAter change would be to repository nutrients but with a fish involved the food waste and fish waste.. I would think weekly water changes are needed.. Correct me if I'm wrong.. How is that light working out? Is it turning your pico into a hottub? Lol I need a new project and a little pico is just what I am lookin for.. Have you seen the wheelers goby? They are really neat.

pico=weekly water changes IMO

you can do one w/o weekly changes but then your livestock will suffer more compared to a pico with more frequent changes.

btw that fish is too big for a 3 gal. 10 gal+ would be a good sized tank for it.

Dnanoreefer

I think it would depend on the size of the fish when you buy it.. My friend has a nice sized jawfish in his pico and he likes his little space.. He has a network of tunnels all over the place..

Oh.. And if that fish is to big what fish would be the right size?? Not many that are smaller then some little gobies..

Yep, Pomona. You should have! ;)

Haha, yeah, I only made it a semester before I couldn't take it anymore. I even bought myself a leopard gecko hoping that would be enough, but obviously it wasn't. Now my dorm is just filled with aquariums. Thanks god my roommate likes animals. :lol:

Today I decided that the rock was huge and hideous (actually, I decided that a while ago, but today I took action!) and I smashed it up. I've got a pseudo-scape going right now, but it still needs work. I'l take another go at it later tonight, and might even get some pics up if the water clears before lights-off.

Yeah this is my first semetre away from home again and I'm already planning to do a sunlit pico for when I get back from break. I'm also going to try to set up a 20 long as a vertical viv so yeah. good thing my roommate won't mind :D

Yep, weekly or biweekly, depending on how I feel. I keep a jug of pre mixed saltwater on hand at all times, so I just sort of do water changes whenever I feel like it. Right now the tank isn't under very high demands nutrient-wise, I'll step up the water changes once the tank is more fully stocked. And yeah, this light is pretty hot... I can't run more than a 5 hour photoperiod without the tank getting too warm, so I'm looking into an iceprobe. Probably not immediately, but sometime before the summer comes.

pico=weekly water changes IMO

you can do one w/o weekly changes but then your livestock will suffer more compared to a pico with more frequent changes.

btw that fish is too big for a 3 gal. 10 gal+ would be a good sized tank for it.

Yep, cool fish, but too big for this tank. Yes, I could try to find a small one, then sell it when it gets bigger, but I'd rather just find a permanent resident that can spend it's whole life in this tank.

Yeah this is my first semetre away from home again and I'm already planning to do a sunlit pico for when I get back from break. I'm also going to try to set up a 20 long as a vertical viv so yeah. good thing my roommate won't mind :D

Nice. College tanks ftw!

I decided to try to remove the bopyrid isopod today, and I think it was a successful endeavor. The isopod was removed, at least, and the shrimp seems ok. Looking back on it, I should have taken 'before' pictures for comparison, but all I managed was 'after.'

DSC_0002-5.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0008-2-2.jpg

Thats an isopod? it really looks like a nudi in that pic.

Yep, it's a type of parasitic isopod called a bopyrid, that lives on some shrimp and crabs.

how did you hold the shrimp?

Just in the palm of my hand. He didn't squirm around, I think he was just sort of stunned at being removed from the water and turned upside down.

animalmaster6
Just in the palm of my hand. He didn't squirm around, I think he was just sort of stunned at being removed from the water and turned upside down.

This info may be useful for the future. Thanks!

Archived