ReefCleaners.org

Jamie's DORM PICO

Jamie

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i can tell you who is dealing with one for sure - jdl has an anemone shrimp with one.

yep, it is the same species shrimp too i believe. mine just molted, so i am going to wait a day of two. i have made a little surgery station to do this. i would like to see how jamie's shrimp does for the next few days as well.

A different kind of anemone shrimp - there are lots! Sexies are Thor amboinensis, these are Periclimenes brevicarpalis.

Someday I will have more things to take pictures of, but for now, more crab and shrimp pics! You can see pretty well where the isopod used to be on the shrimp.

DSC_0025-2.jpg

DSC_0013-3.jpg

I may try a shrimp out in my pico, is there anything particular you feed yours? I'm thinking sexys if my lfs has some, or a cleaner if they have that. I'll have to go and visit sometime soon.

Well, I went away for spring break and came back to a shrimpless tank. :( Not sure what could have happened. Sexies sound like a good idea... I may pick some up next time my lfs has them in, hopefully I'll have better luck.

In better news, I went to the coral farmers market today (which was awesome!) and picked up some excellent stuff. Pictures after dinner.

what do you mean shrimpless? as in it was dead or it wasnt in the tank at all and had jumped out (likely if you dont run a lid)

what do you mean shrimpless? as in it was dead or it wasnt in the tank at all and had jumped out (likely if you dont run a lid)

Gone without a trace. Since I was gone a whole week, it's quite possible it was taken care of by the amphipods. I have a lid, but I still checked around the tank and didn't see any evidence of carpet surfing.

:( Aww that's too bad, at least you got some new goodies!

Yep, and here they are!

Frogspawn

DSC_0001-3.jpg

Zoas

DSC_0002-6.jpg

Crab

DSC_0006-3.jpg

Hoping these will turn purple under the halide.

DSC_0008-5.jpg

monti

DSC_0003-4.jpg

cloves are doing great, new colonies are starting to pop up in other parts of the tank.

DSC_0009-2.jpg

slimer

DSC_0010-6.jpg

I realize now that I forgot to take an fts, but now the lights are off so that'll have to wait. New purchases not pictured are a tiny acro frag (A. caroliniana I think) and a tiny blasto merletti frag. Hopefully they'll grow quickly!

Builder Anthony

Ya i seen it there too though its small and most likely can let it get a little bigger before it decides to sends polyp bubbles floating aorund.If you look real close at the tenticles of them you will see little bubbles in there tenticles and once they reach the end they lay them on the rock or shoot them out.I had a tank filled with them once.Kind of cool when they get big.BUt they get to a point of sting city.

Wow the polyps on that monti are very green! Nice :)

Yep, hopefully it keeps its color! :fingerscrossed:

aiptasia alert on clove pic.

Ya i seen it there too though its small and most likely can let it get a little bigger before it decides to sends polyp bubbles floating aorund.If you look real close at the tenticles of them you will see little bubbles in there tenticles and once they reach the end they lay them on the rock or shoot them out.I had a tank filled with them once.Kind of cool when they get big.BUt they get to a point of sting city.

Thanks guys. I've been watching it and waiting for it to get big enough to deal with. So far it's been slow going, I think the cloves are doing a pretty good job beating it back - today it's not even visible.

sorry for the loss, congrats on the new frags! they look great. i really like that slimer, and monti.

Thanks. I'm hoping for fast growth with both of them. I tried to add sand this weekend, but the flow was way too strong and it all ended up in the back of the tank. Plan b is cover the whole bottom with encrusting hard corals, and the monti is my first. Yesterday I chipped a few pieces off and glued them around the tank, hoping to speed the process up. I'll probably get some chalices too, and maybe a nice acan centerpiece.

more pics, first, an ugly fts

DSC_0002-7.jpg

size comparison with tea mug

DSC_0003-5.jpg

froggy. The crab found this today, and seems quite pleased to have a host. All that's visible here is a blurry claw.

DSC_0005-4.jpg

snail. I definitely need more of these to keep the algae under control.

DSC_0018-4.jpg

the other acro was getting stn on one of its tips, so I had to trim it. Hopefully it pulls through.

DSC_0019-2.jpg

tiny blasto

DSC_0032-5.jpg

other coral closeups

DSC_0029-3.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0027-3.jpg

DSC_0024-3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Drift Monkey

To help with the flow...maybe point the two power heads at each other? It might disperse and randomize it enough where the sand will actually be able to settle? Just a thought.

Looks good so far though!

To help with the flow...maybe point the two power heads at each other? It might disperse and randomize it enough where the sand will actually be able to settle? Just a thought.

Looks god so far though!

I considered it, but the pumps look a lot smaller from the front than in profile. And the corals seem to like it.

Have people asked about the intense blue glow in your room?

Haha, yes. Every single person who walks by comes in to see what it is. Fortunately no unwanted visits from RA's yet...

Archived