Cultivated Reef

Jamie's DORM PICO

Jamie

Update!

So things have been pretty good pico-wise, not much to report. FTS:

DSC_0083-1.jpg

Unfortunately the encrusting monti has browned out a ton. Other than that it still seems to be doing okay.

DSC_0105-2.jpg

I got a new inhabitant!

DSC_0036-3.jpg

no big, just nommin on some coralz.

DSC_0119-1.jpg

The number of isopods in this tank has been increasing exponentially. It's getting ridiculous...

DSC_0001-4.jpg

but I've been getting to see some cool behaviors. Whenever two big isopods run into each other, they lift they're claws up and fight, which sadly I haven't been able to photograph. I was trying to get close-ups of them, but they all came out pretty blurry:

DSC_0089-3.jpg

so I gave up and just took pictures of the snails.

DSC_0104-5.jpg

DSC_0127-4.jpg

The corals seem happy. The monti is beginning to encrust the surrounding rocks

DSC_0024-4.jpg

the frogspawn is growing

DSC_0123-2.jpg

and the zoas seem happy, though a little less so with the addition of the sexy shrimp.

DSC_0021-2.jpg

The slimer is still showing good pe and color, and is beginning to encrust around the super glue at its base, though not visible in the picture.

DSC_0029-4.jpg

I'll be needing to inject the aiptasia soon

DSC_0030-3.jpg

And the porcelain crab continues to do well.

DSC_0011-5.jpg

That's all for now. The search for a fish continues, hopefully I'll get one soon. Thanks for looking!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Builder Anthony

Ya thats all they do is fight eat and screw.They eat dried seaweed and flake food.Be careful if you add a injured coral they may go after it.Injured zoa i put in my tank got taken out.And they started munching on my uninjured clove polyp.Actualy algae might have caused a little damage to it.But after the algae went away they were quick to close in.My clove is still there but not opening.A few ones that sprouted are right next to it.

Cololest fight i seen in my tank with those things was one getting throw over a ledge in my tank the loser was floating down kicking all his legs but he didnt go anywhere but down.It was funny he just like thew that guyand he was like oooooh nooooo all the way to the sandbed.Then the winner was poised to take on the next guy. :)

Ya thats all they do is fight eat and screw.They eat dried seaweed and flake food.Be careful if you add a injured coral they may go after it.Injured zoa i put in my tank got taken out.And they started munching on my uninjured clove polyp.Actualy algae might have caused a little damage to it.But after the algae went away they were quick to close in.My clove is still there but not opening.A few ones that sprouted are right next to it.

Cololest fight i seen in my tank with those things was one getting throw over a ledge in my tank the loser was floating down kicking all his legs but he didnt go anywhere but down.It was funny he just like thew that guyand he was like oooooh nooooo all the way to the sandbed.Then the winner was poised to take on the next guy. :)

Haha, cool. Since there's not much in the tank, I pretty much just watch the isopod drama all the time. It's pretty exciting. Haven't had any problems with coral yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Cool pictures...I really like the sexy and porcelain crab! Are those isopods parasitic? :scarry:

thanks! nope, not parasitic, just the general "pod" kind. :)

Thanks animalmaster.

Update, because I got some new things, but first..

Unfortunately the encrusting monti was doing really poorly where I had it in the front of the tank (flow was too high) so I had to move it to the back of the tank. This little frag I glued to the glass, however, is doing well and has almost completely encrusted over the super glue.

DSC_0067-2.jpg

In the process of moving the monti, I opened up the aquascape a bit, in hopes that I'll be able to cram some more corals in. Here's how it looks now:

DSC_0035-3.jpg

You may have noticed a couple new things. The less exciting one is the new zoas:

DSC_0013-4.jpg

And the more exciting one is the new fish! My friends named it florence.

DSC_0041-5.jpg

I've never had a neon goby before, but I'm already pleased. It's always out and about, snacking on amphipods, and is super cute.

DSC_0056-1.jpg

DSC_0057-2.jpg

And a final shot of the sexy shrimp (which the friends decided should be named sid vicious) in his new favorite hangout spot.

DSC_0063-5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Builder Anthony

I been trying to get a neon goby for like a month plus you got the yellow kind.Well eventually i will i had them before and they breed.Just thought id throw that in there in case you were intrested in breeding them.Im not sure what that shrimp would do though if there were babys in the tank.

I been trying to get a neon goby for like a month plus you got the yellow kind.Well eventually i will i had them before and they breed.Just thought id throw that in there in case you were intrested in breeding them.Im not sure what that shrimp would do though if there were babys in the tank.

Really? I never thought of them as uncommon, I feel like I see them pretty frequently. I don't think I'll add another, at least, not it this little tank, but it would be cool to have a breeding project some day. :) Good luck in your search!

Sweet goby!

Looking great!

Aw I love the goby, adorable!

Thanks guys.

As far as further inhabitants go, the only other motile animal I'm planning on getting is a pom pom crab, whenever I can find one. Other than that, more zoas, more frags, etc. :)

Thanks!

Since yesterday was the 2-month birthday is this tank, I thought I'd take a few more pictures, just to commemorate the event.

sps polyps extension

DSC_0016-5.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

zoas

DSC_0025-3.jpg

sid vicious

DSC_0019-4.jpg

florence

DSC_0021-4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

LarryMoeCurly
Great photography in this thread. Love checking your livestock update pictures :D Keep it up!

+1

Sorry, I could have come up with an original thought, but I'm lazy, and he basically said what I was thinking. :D

Looking nice Jamie, I really wish I'd been able to set up my pico too. I guess it'll be a neat summer project instead..

+1

Sorry, I could have come up with an original thought, but I'm lazy, and he basically said what I was thinking. :D

Thanks!

Looking nice Jamie, I really wish I'd been able to set up my pico too. I guess it'll be a neat summer project instead..

Summer's not too far away! Hopefully you can get it up soon.

Tank update:

Got myself and early birthday present, and took out the giant ugly grey rock. :)

DSC_0003-6.jpg

I had to rearrange the scape a bit to accomidate the new addition, but I think it's an improvement.

Left side:

DSC_0021-5.jpg

Right:

DSC_0022-2.jpg

I'm amassing a zoa collection. Next on the list - green ones.

DSC_0006-4.jpg

DSC_0007-5.jpg

new acro

DSC_0011-7.jpg

DSC_0035-4.jpg

impressively, cloves don't sem to bother sps! though the monti continues to brown out :(

DSC_0012-6.jpg

florence:

DSC_0030-4.jpg

DSC_0033-3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0033-3.jpg

I really love this pic, Florence is so cute! :wub:

Yellow or blue neon gobies are rare around here I guess; I've never seen one for sale :(

what camera are you using

nikon d90

I really love this pic, Florence is so cute! :wub:

Yellow or blue neon gobies are rare around here I guess; I've never seen one for sale :(

Thanks! That's too bad, they seem to be really great fish. If you're interested in one, I guess try online?

Got a good picture of the crab yesterday

DSC_0013-5.jpg

other news: the sexy shrimp realized a few days ago that coral is edible and ate through a substantial portion of by green slimer before I could catch it. Needless to say it will be going back to the fish store. Hopefully I'll be able to replace it with something a little less opportunistic.

Archived