ReefCleaners.org

Jamie's DORM PICO

Jamie

Current FTS - April 2011:

DSC_0003-6.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so basically, I'm really excited right now. Until last fall, I'd been keeping marine aquaria for four years straight, but I had to sell everything when I came to college. WELL NOW I HAVE A NEW TANK! :D I don't know excactly who will be taking care of it over the summer, but I'll figure that out. In the mean time, here's the info:

2 gallon rimless (not a name brand... I have no idea who made it)

2 koralia nano's

150w sunpod metal halide (which will be hung VERY high above the tank)

The craftsmanship of the tank isn't great, but I wasn't going to turn it down for nine dollars. I'm planning zoas and rics on the lower level, then a nice big monti cap (I was eyeing a gorgeous blue one in the lfs today), and finally on top, if I can fit one, a torch or frogspawn. probably some sexies and/or other anemone shrimp, maybe a porcelain crab or a cleaner shrimp. Perhaps a clown goby to top it all off. So yeah, that's the plan for now. I started cycling today, and I'll keep you guys updated.

Pics! (only half full because target only had one gallon of RO water in the entire store <_< )

DSC_0002-4.jpg

DSC_0003-1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jamie

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool. Just take it wherever you go to because you have a 2 gallon!

Exactly! I was contemplating something bigger, but being able to carry it places could be helpful in the future. Also, much cheaper to stock a tiny tank!

interesting story for 150 sunpod mh on 2 gallon pico!

Haha, yep. This light has been with me ever since my first tank, so no point in buying a new one now, right? It will definitely be getting a fresh bulb though.

nope. san diego

aw, you had me all excited.

That looks exactly like my finnex 4 gallon. Same dimensions only smaller. Good thing its glass easier to keep clean.

cool. yeah, I can't do acrylic tanks, I am not good at not scratching them.

In tank news - I the tank is filled now, so I'll take some pictures once the water clears up.

i'd be excited too if I

a. met someone from harvey mudd

b. met me

lol, so what's your harvey mudd connection? and if I ever meet you in person, I will totally be excited, just so you know.

i had the same exact tank but ten gallons! lol.

is it gonna be a bare bottom?

cool! I like to cycle bare bottom, but I'll add a little sand for visual effect in a few weeks.

bwoodward0012

lookin good. just got done reading/ skimming through your 16bowfront/ zero edge tank thread and now im contemplating a coldwater tank with local species (i live near virginia beach), just not sure what is around here that i'd be able to keep. if i were to find nems like the ones you collected while tidepooling, i'd be satisfied with keeping mostly just nems. nice shots as well, especially love your tidepooling shots.

lookin good. just got done reading/ skimming through your 16bowfront/ zero edge tank thread and now im contemplating a coldwater tank with local species (i live near virginia beach), just not sure what is around here that i'd be able to keep. if i were to find nems like the ones you collected while tidepooling, i'd be satisfied with keeping mostly just nems. nice shots as well, especially love your tidepooling shots.

if you ever met me I'd also give you a 4g version of your tank cause your big ass pumps drive me insane

they also provide excellent flow.

do you get your water from scripps?

I mix my own water. The scripps you're thinking of (presumably) is 2 hours south of here, and on the coast. I'm about an hour from the beach.

Jamie's back in action :happydance:

:D

There's tons of great stuff around here, though collection laws are more strict than in Oregon. You could definitely make a great biotope though. I say go for it, just research the legality of what you're doing first. I would start here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/

Yay, you're back!! :D

:D I'm super excited!

So, when I'm bored I like to draw things. Since I can't physically stock this tank, I illustrated it with all of the things I want. Procrastination success! The result:

Untitled4.jpg

The lumpy things are supposed to be zoa colonies, I was too lazy to draw out all the individuals. Up top is a torch coral I've been eyeing at the lfs - I'm really hoping they don't sell it before the tank is ready, but it's quite possible. Also, I will never be able to afford an acan colony the size of the orange one I drew, but whatever, I felt like it.

So, when I'm bored I like to draw things. Since I can't physically stock this tank, I illustrated it with all of the things I want. Procrastination success! The result:

Untitled4.jpg

The lumpy things are supposed to be zoa colonies, I was too lazy to draw out all the individuals. Up top is a torch coral I've been eyeing at the lfs - I'm really hoping they don't sell it before the tank is ready, but it's quite possible. Also, I will never be able to afford an acan colony the size of the orange one I drew, but whatever, I felt like it.

fingerscrossed

Untitled4.jpg

holy sh!t what kind of lighting is that? your corals look so good!!!!!

Archived