Cultivated Reef

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I placed an order today for the majano wand. I'm very anxious to try it out. This should help clean the tank up of pests.

A friend of mine has one. It is really cool to see it in action.

One of the ideas I was kicking around was doing a mr aqua 48 gallon as a peninsula tank. This would only be if I downsize and I can convince the wife to let me put a tank on the second floor in my office. She is pretty set against a second floor tank of any size. Working on it. I have two leather chairs in my office that would be on each side of the tank. It would look great and placing corals on two sides of rock work would allow me to keep a lot of what I have now. I really enjoyed my previous mr aqua and the silicone work was top notch allowing even more to view.

Checking out what it would cost to have a local make a 30x24x16 peninsula style rimless tank. The same person made my 37.4. It would go between the two leather chairs where the ottoman is and viewable on both sides. A tank with these dimensions would extend to the edge of where the ottoman is now.

83C53D58-453E-410C-9244-4BFC618E0BD9-70930DD665E-5DF8-49DA-B0C3-169620433821-709

Cleaned things up a bit in the last week. I tossed a maricultured colony of rosaria out. It never got past it's brown color and slowly RTN'd from the base up over 7 months. I removed the makeshift rock it was on so it's opened things up a bit on the right side again.

I changed out my GFO before adding 10 hermits and 3 conchs about a week ago. Prior to that my only clean up crew was two turbo snails which are both still in the tank.

I dipped a couple corals (tommyknockers and ORA marshall islands purple and green) this weekend in really strong dip (2 capfuls of seachem reef dip into a 1/2 a jar of water). It may have been too strong and may kill those frags but It also killed a bunch of flatworms. The corals are pale two days later. I figured I would nuke them and see if they survive. At least it would remove the problem and give them a future chance. The purple and green can be a nice ORA coral but is just a AEFW mess waiting to happen based on two previous experiences.

I also took the time to frag about 8 pieces of green birdsnest to give my tenuis some more room to grow and more light.

Last thing for now. I'm trying to trade one my acans for a nice Raptors Peace favia colony.

I did. I've had them in the past and seen the eggs before but no eggs this time. AEFW just love tri colors. The branches weren't so tightly clustered that you couldn't see any eggs so I made a point to look for them.

In each of the pictures the clowns have kept close to the anemone. They have a nice size clutch of eggs attached to the overflow behind the anemones so they make sure to stay close.

The angled shot I like because you can get a good idea of how much the red planet has grown. It grows more towards the center of the tank where the flow isn't as strong. The side that is closer to the mp10 shows less growth. It's always interesting to see how flow effects growth patterns.

Here is a reference.

12/7/12

leftangle120612.jpg

Yesterday

angle20122813_zps0008011c.jpg

I've got a red planet of my own that was slow to take off, now it's starting to grow. They are said to be fast growers if conditions are right, looks like your conditions are right :)

Christine

How does the screen top hold up under the halides ? I was going to order the kit from bulk reef supply but I'm concerned that the heat from the lights will melt that clear mesh.

Sorry I've been super busy with work lately and not had much time for the tank. I have not used the wand much yet. I gave it a try a couple times but it looks like to get it to work properly it will be fairly time consuming. It's going to take a bit of time to completely eliminate each anemone, more so than I thought.

Sorry I've been super busy with work lately and not had much time for the tank. I have not used the wand much yet. I gave it a try a couple times but it looks like to get it to work properly it will be fairly time consuming. It's going to take a bit of time to completely eliminate each anemone, more so than I thought.

I bet it is satisfying to burn those sucker off though! Let us all know how it goes when you get some time.

I had to epoxy my green birdsnest colony again yesterday. It was getting loose and as usually is the case when trying to epoxy a larger colony they never want to go back the way they were. I fragged a bit of it and it's now mounted with about 90 degree turn from its previous spot. It will make for some more room for the surrounding frags. I may finally get around to mounting the rest of my frags or some of them this weekend just not sure where. I want to get that frag rack out of there.

I'v been kicking around the notion that I will downsize to accomodate the wife. This will happen if and only if I can convince her to allow a tank on the second floor. What I've been thinking of doing is getting a Mr. Aqua 33.6 (24x18x18) or there 48 (36x18x18). The likely choice would be the 33.6. I really enjoyed my Mr. Aqua. The tank would look a little something like this:

d06fdbb7-e104-41ae-9f73-655fc4c07254_zps

c164a991-0408-457d-961d-2585584ab5c5_zps

I would likely use the rock from the first picture and maybe a small rock. I would probably sell the rose bubbletips. I would move my red planet to the bottom left. I would place my blue maxima below it. The favias would stay. I would move the rock with the gorg and yelllow leather down to the sand bed. It would be replaced by the shelf or with the green birdsnest, blue tenuis and pink birdsnest. Keeping all the birdsnest together. Just the thought process. The idea would be leaving some open space but balancing the colors. Some of the fish would be sold off which woulld bother me. I have had my clowns for 4 years now and don't want to rehome them but would have to do so.

If I did all this I would still be running the same equipment (skimmer, reactor, mp10, etc..). I would possibly purchase a radion pro. for this tank.

I haven't had much of a chance to use it. I tried it initially but found it time consuming to kill off each one. You really have to touch, poke and prod each bit of tissue on the anemone to kill them. I will eventually get around to trying it out some more.

Archived