Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect this chesterfieldensis to color up some more. The store I bought it from has some of the worst lighting in town. There was at the store and I assume still is a little acropora crab nestled in between the branches.

The tanks should start to fill out some more this weekend when I pick up some new frags.

I would expect this chesterfieldensis to color up some more. The store I bought it from has some of the worst lighting in town. There was at the store and I assume still is a little acropora crab nestled in between the branches.

The tanks should start to fill out some more this weekend when I pick up some new frags.

Hah, I was just looking that that one the other day!

did you see the baby marine betta they had?

Yeah. It's always hard to find something nice there with such bad lighting. You have to catch them when they come in or soon there after or you are likely to have a browned out coral or flatworms. They are the only ones getting any new ORA stuff though. Atlantis gets them so seldom.

You should try and make the meet at Vinces this weekend.

Things are finally starting to color up in the tank. My blue milli which has been brown since the crash is getting it's blue back. I attribute some of it's bounce back to a reduction in phosphates. I had my water tested over the weekend and the only parameter out of whack was my phosphates. They were testing around 1ppm. I went ahead and put my gfo reactor back online with a mix of carbon and some GFO. Part of my phosphate problem I'm sure is coming from the dry rock finishing it's cycle. If I get the chance I will start my biopellets back up this weekend and do a water change to remove any red slime. The skimmer is pulling like a champ and there is no shortage of water flow.

I'm going to see what I can do about a high temp problem. Right now my tank is only running halides for about 6 hours a day due to high temps. This is another reason I've been looking at possibly switching back over to an ATI dimmable 6x54 watt T5 fixture. I don't want to use a chiller.

Looking forward to adding more corals this weekend.

I'm going to see what I can do about a high temp problem. Right now my tank is only running halides for about 6 hours a day due to high temps. This is another reason I've been looking at possibly switching back over to an ATI dimmable 6x54 watt T5 fixture. I don't want to use a chiller.

Looking forward to adding more corals this weekend.

Glad to hear things are getting better Steely. Do you not have a fan on your waterline to help with the temp?

I have tried one over the surface near the lights but I think I need to set one up in the cabinet.

My heat issues have escalated since upgrading my skimmer and adding my power center. When I added my plywood to attach all my power supplies and outlets I think it cut out some air circulation/cooling. The outlets give off a bit of heat.

I may try and rig a fan underneath for a few days to see if it reduces temps much.

Yes, maybe better. I've used them in the past with my 40 breeder. The downside for me was they were so damn bright and no shimmer. I'm interested in trying them again now that I used a calcium reactor and gfo. Those two things added to the color of my corals more than probably anything.

The T5 bulbs I was using were:

4x ATI blue +

1x KZ fiji purple

1x UV super actinic

This gave me great color. I would probably start there again but right now I don't have the money to spend on equipment for the tank. Too many house projects going on like a building a fence (not cheap).

I managed to get some corals mounted in place and some things moved around. Things continue to perk up and show better color. I will try and take some new pics tonight. I'm happy with where I moved everything. It's getting a nice look with corals at various levels in the tank.

I agreed to trade my old skimmer for some coral from aquaholics which is locally owned. I should be able to get some nice frags for it. That should help fill in some of the colors I'm still after.

Thanks. It should fill in even more soon. I'm trading my old skimmer to aquaholics for about 6 frags that he sells. I still have another 3 lined up with someone else local.

Future additions:

hawkins echinata

ora purple stylo

shades of fall

pink milli with blue tips

blue hoeksmai

tommy knockers (prostrata)

garf bonsai

acropora loripes

copps xmas hyacinthus

I removed another portion of rock from the sump. I'm trying to get a little more flow in the sump to reduce some of the heat. I also siphoned out some red slime last night and did a small water change. Finally got around to it and put my biopellet reactor back online in the sump. Should be about six weeks before they kick into effect but like all the other times I've used them they work great. Polyp extension and color always improve when I use them.

I added some new corals this past weekend. I picked up a nice 4-5" acropora rosaria colony (at least that's what it was labeled as in the store). I'm not sure what the real color of this coral will be since it sat in a poorly lit tank for two months. Right now it's a nice purple color and very full of branches.

I also added 6 new frags:

crayola prostrata

blue hoeksmai

tommy knockers (greenish yellow prostrata)

garf bonsai (what was given to me doesn't look like garf but most people call them garf despite being incorrect). I think it's an acropora nana.

acropora loripes

copps xmas hyacinthus

Thursday I will also pick up some nice size frags of sunset milli and rose milli. I will probably give it a rest for a while after that. I need to make a frag rack tonight and then I will snap some shots of the new stuff. I'm probably gonna let the frags grow out on the frag rack for a few weeks.

The frags I picked up two weeks ago are all coloring up and beginning to grow over the epoxy.

I made a nice little do it yourself magnetic frag rack last night to place all the new frags. I'm going to let the new guys adjust to the tank for a few weeks before mounting them somewhere. The person I am pick up the sunset and rose milli from had their AC die on them so I will be picking up the new milleporas on the way home today assuming they are in good health.

These are the new milleporas I'm picking up

IMG_1478.jpg

I have plenty of red slime in the tank right now so I will do a nice size water change soon. I will try and snag some pics of the tank after the water change. Plenty of new corals to show and rescaped the left side of the tank a bit by adding an additional shelf while removing a rock.

• 2 weeks later...

You have some awesome sps additions man. I would love to get a frag of blue hoek. What does yours look like? Are you getting these from the LFS?

Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for some of the frags to color up a bit. The blue hoek I'm not so sure is blue hoek but we will give it some time. Some older frags are looking better now. My red planet is coloring up, basing out and growing new branches pretty quickly now. Maybe more so than previous frags I have owned of it. My chip acro is basing a bit more now. Still not much polyp extension on anything right now but I just changed out my GFO and added some as well. Hopefully this will help get some better polyp extension by dropping phosphates. I need to do another water change so hopefully this will help as well.

I plan on pick up some hermits soon since I have no real clean up crew. I need to get rid of some algae and some slime algae so maybe the water change/cleaning will help when I get there.

Overall the tank is looking good and things are growing. Now if I can get some of the fish to stop breaking my blue milli by swimming into it. If it continues I will move it.

I'm in bad need of some new shots on this thread so I will try and get around to taking some pics. The tank appears to be doing really well. The slime algae is pretty much all gone at this point. I still have some algae on the rocks that most closely resembles chaeto. The corals are all looking good and I'm seeing growth on all of them. My red planet appears to be growing the quickest right now. It's based out and grown several new branches. It is continuing to table at it's edges and the color is getting a nice deep pink. This frag was stressed and not so colorful when I got it so I'm happy about it. The other frags are all starting to base out as well.

On a sad note it looks like I may have lost two fish. I found another dead cardinal so I'm down to two of them now. I think I may have also lost my starry blenny as well. I've looked all over for him and he is no where to be found. The only place I couldn't check was the overflow but the only openings big enough for him are above the water line. Sucks to lose him even though he was a bit on the mean side (towards me).

I will work on getting some pics soon.

Archived