SaltCritters.com

Steely185's rimless 75 edge

steely185

In the past when my salinity levels would get t0o high I would see less polyp extension (polyps closer to the skeleton) and patches of bare skeleton on the branches in various spots (not pests). I would measure the salinity using a hydrometer (grant it I'm old school and just use a hydrometer from my first tank 20 years ago) and it would confirm my salinity levels were high. I could confirm all other parameters were fine by doing a full water test. I would do a water change/top off to correct the problem and get my salinity back in check. Within a couple days the birdsnest would perk up, have good polyp extension and tissue would regrow over the damaged portion within a week.

I had this happen 2 or 3 times in my old 20 gallon. It was always a good indicator coral for me.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they aren't so cute to me. They multiply pretty quickly when the tank is healthy. I've tried getting rid of them before with various methods. I need to have another extermination run in the tank. I have had them kill portions of favia that were growing into their area. They are harder to get rid of than aiptasia. I would be tempted to get a leatherjacket filefish to work on them but my clown defends that area of the tank. I will probably kalk paste the hell out of them or banish that rock to the sump and replace it with other rock.

My one concern with getting a bubbletip is that it will reproduce/split at the same or similar rate as these majano. Obviously the water quality isn't a concern for anemones.

My one concern with getting a bubbletip is that it will reproduce/split at the same or similar rate as these majano. Obviously the water quality isn't a concern for anemones.

Maybe... but I doubt it. They usually don't split that often, especially if you don't feed them a whole lot. I have had the same BTA for almost 4 years and it has only split once, which has actually two clones that came off at the same time. Pretty easy to manage.

Maybe you need one of those aiptasia wands, mostly because I like watching videos of them zapping pest nems hehe.

Busy day with the tank today. Obliterates some making with a hammer. Epoxied one of my favias to a rock and cleaned up some sand bed real estate. Moved crocea to a higher rock in the tank.

Biggest move of the day was picking up a nice rose bubbletip. It's only about 2" in size but should grow quickly. Hopefully it doesn't split like its former tank mates. It came from a tank of about 40 clones. I placed it on a rock and almost as soon as it attached to the rock, the female clown disapproved. She grabbed a tentacle with her mouth and ripped it off the rock after about four strong tugs. Hopefully she will get the drift that I bought this for them to replace the majano that they were protecting. Looking forward to seeing this anemone mature. It's already got some great color and bubble tips.

Well both clowns are starting to show interest in the rose this morning. That was fast. The anemone has chosen a nice spot in the middle of the tank for now. I like where it's located so hopefully it settles in and starts growing. Both clowns are bigger than it but its promising.

Awesome glad to see you got a rbta. Mine grow pretty quick and split every 3 months. I usually just sell off the splits. My favorite part is watching the clowns and the movement BtA's give to the tank.

I'm interested to see how the clowns are doing with the nem today and how it looks. My male clown ditched his woman last night to sleep next to his new anemone all night. He always sleeps next to the female. She has shown more interest lately but she dwarfs the nem. If all goes well maybe I will snag a larger green bubble tip with purple tips for them as well.

Good luck with the nem. Just make sure you watch it as they always will find a spot next to your favorite SPS and sting it to death as per Murphy's Law.

saltwatercoral
More pics as promised

majano mound

birdofparadise.jpg

birdsnest.jpg

All your corals look amazing, maybe I should go with a mixed reef... Ya got me thinking...

I added a second bubbletip today. It appears to be smoking. I would assume this is spawning and not a stress related event. Maybe someone can advise me on what may be happening.

It's pretty none the less.

CF733271-B123-4E90-A66A-F625CEC347C1-8615-000004B98F0BA82B.jpg

Nice rainbow BTA! You sure are a risk taker. Two?! hehe. It will get used to the clowns in it soon. I hope it doesn't move around too much for ya.

It's on a island so I don't expect much movement. It has a bit but still on its island.

Side note: the wife is getting tired (she hares the hobby) of the tank in the dining room (her choice when we moves) so I'm floating a new tank idea. I'm looking at buying a tank for my office upstairs and moving my current display contents. Where can I buy a rimless tank with 30x30x24 dimensions or 36x30x24 dimensions. Stand as well. This would be a second floor tank against a wall. Ideas on ability to support the weight of this size tank as well.

• 2 weeks later...
It's on a island so I don't expect much movement. It has a bit but still on its island.

Side note: the wife is getting tired (she hares the hobby) of the tank in the dining room (her choice when we moves) so I'm floating a new tank idea. I'm looking at buying a tank for my office upstairs and moving my current display contents. Where can I buy a rimless tank with 30x30x24 dimensions or 36x30x24 dimensions. Stand as well. This would be a second floor tank against a wall. Ideas on ability to support the weight of this size tank as well.

I hear ya on the wife front lol. My fiancé hates anything to do with the tank. But you are taking lemons and making limoncello if you can upgrade while getting it out of her hair! :D

Random note, but I watched the video linked below. at 10min Mike Peletta shows a really cool electronic 'zaper' he uses to wipe out aptasia and majano's. Might help - I remember you were having some fun with those little buggers a while back.

Good luck with the tank search!

Steely - The video was a great addition to the thread. As I was watching, I was going to ask the question of how the gravel in the middle of the tank gets moved. Just then I noticed the big clown work her magic on the sand bed.

Archived